User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2006 4:04:38 PM EDT
February 26, 2006
Sights set on local gun manufacturers
By Stephen Elliott, [email protected]

Henry County is known by many as the Gun Valley of Illinois.

However, that could change if a bill making its way through the Illinois House of Representatives becomes law.

HB2414, sponsored by Rep. Edward Acevedo, D-Chicago, would make it illegal to manufacture, possess or deliver semi-automatic assault weapons, assault-weapon attachments, .50-caliber rifles and .50-caliber cartridges.

Last session, a similar bill sponsored by Rep. Acevedo fell three votes short of passage in the Illinois House.

If this one passes, it could affect five Quad-Cities area firearms manufacturers, three of them in Henry County -- Springfield Armory and ArmaLite Inc., both of Geneseo; Rock River Arms, Colona; Les Baer Custom, Hillsdale; and Lewis Machine and Tool Co., Milan.

It could mean the loss of several hundred jobs, and work for some area subcontractors. For companies such as Springfield Armory, which has 165 full-time employees, and ArmaLite, which has 85 employees, it also could mean a move to another state.

ArmaLite, which makes a .50-caliber rifle, gets much of its business from collectors, competitive target shooters, government agencies and the military, owner Mark Westrom said.

"The word is out on Illinois" about the bill, Mr. Westrom said. "We're getting letters of interest from South Dakota, Arkansas, Oklahoma. They're inviting us to come to their state."

Mr. Westrom said the .50-caliber models ArmaLite makes sell for about $3,000 and are a "long-range target gun. It's not something you manhandle around and use in a crime.

"Could it be misused? Heavens, a kitchen knife is misused far, far more. The .50-caliber is big, and most are very ugly. Their sin is they are the biggest that are allowed."

He said the nearly 5-foot long rifle is loud and weighs 34 pounds without accessories. "It's not something anyone is misusing in a car or a truck."

Mr. Westrom believes HB2414 is a feel-good measure for politicians, particularly those from Chicago and its suburbs.

Sen. Todd Sieben, R-Geneseo, opposes the bill, but says it's coming up in an election year, which may have an impact. "Generally speaking, gun-control bills have not passed the senate. Some bills are in districts where gun control is important for re-election."

National Rifle Association spokesman Todd Vandermyde said the bill would prohibit virtually everything ArmaLite makes and a third to a half of the production line that comes out of Springfield Armory.

He said it also would take a good chunk of business from Les Baer, Rock River Arms and Lewis Machine and Tool. "The bill makes it a crime for replacement parts. "Basically, you've got to look at every single gun and make a determination (what's legal)."

Rebecca Rausch, spokeswoman for Gov. Rod Blagojevich, said she couldn't comment on the potential job loss if the bill passed, but she did say the governor believes the bill is a way to make streets safer.

"The .50-caliber rifle is something the governor believes should be banned," she said. "It's one of the most destructive weapons available to the public. The governor is concerned with taking these weapons off the street."

Rep. Acevedo said, if the bill, which has been amended eight times, is enacted, gun manufacturers would have to adapt and make different weapons.

"I'm sure they are going to continue manufacturing different sorts of weapons," he said. "How did they survive when the ban was in effect on the federal level?"

As far as losing jobs, Rep. Acevedo said, "Did they ever hire more when the federal ban was not reinstated? So, as far as losing jobs or employment, I don't think it's affected one way or another."

Mr. Westrom said there wasn't a ban on the manufacture of .50-caliber rifles during the federal ban enacted by Congress in 1994. When that ban ran out 10 years later, it wasn't reinstated.

Mr. Vandermyde said there are major differences between the federal ban and Illinois bill. For instance, having two or more military-style features, like a pistol grip or a flash suppresor, on a firearm would be illegal under the federal ban, but the Illinois law would prohibit any features.

Springfield Armory co-owner Dennis Reese said the federal ban forced his company to modify its guns to be different from what they are now. "It was problematic for us, because people wanted the original-looking rifles."

Mr. Reese and Mr. Westrom said they've added employees since the federal ban was lifted. Mr. Reese said a state ban would put his products at a competitive disadvantage with gun manufacturers around the country who might have larger magazine capacities and other items prohibited in Illinois.

Illinois House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie, D-Chicago, believes HB2414 picks up where the federal ban left off. As for job loss in Henry County, Rep. Currie said, "Yes, I'm in favor of jobs. I don't know if I'm in favor of jobs if it's all about doing things to kill people. The balance comes down on the side of safety."

Mr. Vandermyde said the Illinois bill is much more prohibitive than the federal ban.

"The politicians that say they are the same are either woefully stupid or intentionally lying."

qconline.com/archives/qco/sections.cgi?prcss=display&id=277674
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate Illinois.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I hate Illinois.

I hate Illinois Nazis.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Honestly this is something they should of seen coming.

They will probly end up here in Missouri
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
this is so fucking stupid...

why voluntarily cut jobs in your own state???????
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The libs and dems dont have any common sense, they act on emotion only.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well duh!  It's "For the children".
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Chicago is a disease that's spreading. Illinois needs a Daleyectomy followed up by a strong regimin of blagocillin.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
February 26, 2006

Illinois House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie, D-Chicago, believes HB2414 picks up where the federal ban left off. As for job loss in Henry County, Rep. Currie said, "Yes, I'm in favor of jobs. I don't know if I'm in favor of jobs if it's all about doing things to kill people. The balance comes down on the side of safety."

WOW...just WOW
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]
To all those manufacturers, INDIANA WILL WELCOME YOU WITH OPEN ARMS.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuckin Illinois Nazi's
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The fifty cal is the deadliest weapon on the street?  I have yet to hear or read about one used in a crime.  Do they know how much that thing ways and how much it costs to own?  A typical thug or gang member would not even know how to use it.

Max
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

And then look for the commies in St Louis to make the same noises.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#14]

On the flip side, it is pretty d@mn stupid for a company to continue to stay in a state that is hostile to its products.

Law or not, they should all pack up and  move to another state.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And then look for the commies in St Louis to make the same noises.

Unlike Illinois

The Commies arnt in the majority in Mo
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#16]
They need to come on down to Texas.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#17]
It has always amazed me why there are so many firearms manufacturers in states where they are so restricted.  Look at Remington, Winchester, and now these manufacturers in IL.  They should all say fuck it.  Move to states where they will not have to deal with this kind of shit.  
I just don't understand it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:21:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Hell, I will help them move and procure proper manufacturing facilities.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:26:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Oklahoma will welcome those manufactures with open arms.....

and maybe I can get a job making the big bad .50, woooohoooooooooooo
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I love this quote:

Quoted:

Mr. Vandermyde said the Illinois bill is much more prohibitive than the federal ban.

"The politicians that say they are the same are either woefully stupid or intentionally lying."

My only problem is that he makes the statement an either/or rather than an and/or, as we all know that the latter part of the statement is true, and in most cases, so is the first half.

ETA: Heck, I think that even Michigan would accept those manufacturers with open arms.  God knows we need those jobs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#21]
In my dream world, ALL of those manufacturers would pick up and move to other states simply for that bill having gotten as far as it did, despite it not passing.

Then when the local communities are negatively impacted, those politicans get kicked to the curb, as they should be.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#22]
They should all move to Montana.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#24]
They should move, and never sell guns to any part of IL government. Same with other gun makers.

If the cops don't like it, they can move too.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Alabama would be proud to have them as well.

+1

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Would this be a good AFCOM time to...
DRAW DOWN!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#27]
The VPC did a study on Illinois gun makers called the 'Land of Assault Weapons'.

I was suprised at how many gun makers were in such an anti gun state.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The fifty cal is the deadliest weapon on the street?  I have yet to hear or read about one used in a crime.  Do they know how much that thing ways and how much it costs to own?  A typical thug or gang member would not even know how to use it.

Max

One was used in a Denver CO murder several years ago.....about 1997.  IIRC perp went into a Safeway and killed his wife.  Went to his car as the cops showed up and shot a cop with a 50.

SRM
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The VPC did a study on Illinois gun makers called the 'Land of Assault Weapons'.

I was suprised at how many gun makers were in such an anti gun state.

Yeah, it is really something ain't it?

Shitcago sucks and I can't stand the cockroaches from there that come up here.  The day that whole gets wiped from the Earth I will do a dance of joy.

I wish they'd bring their companies up here though. I would love to work for them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hate Illinois.

I hate Illinois Nazis.

+1
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#31]
All pro-gun/pro-freedom individuals and firms should immediately retreat from all states that are actively attempting to dissuade firearm ownership or place constraints upon any other God-given right. Not only is this type of response perfectly logical from a cost/benefit analysis, but it will serve to enrich the community as well...

[InsertPukingEmoticonHerePleaseComputer]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You already stated the answer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#33]
There are lots of states that the manufacturing sector has been hit hard.  They have literally scores of idle unemployed or underemployed skilled workers.  Most of these areas would provide serious relocation funds and big tax abatements.  Might be something these Companies of Terror should start researching, if they havent already.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#34]
That is one thing the import restrictions of the GCA do- make guns be built in the US and create jobs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Dumb fucking liberals.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Now I will really have no reason to ever live in Davenport again, let alone visit.  Family can come see me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Imagine all Illinois conservatives moving to states like Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan where they could tip the balance to our favor.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Political posturing at it's best!  So they'll move their operations to different states...how will that deter crime in IL?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Clear example of one fucked up city dictating what goes on in the whole state!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Given the laws in IL, I'm surprised it didn't happen long ago.  Next will be MA.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
February 26, 2006

Henry County is known by many as the Gun Valley of Illinois.

However, that could change if a bill making its way through the Illinois House of Representatives becomes law.

HB2414, sponsored by Rep. Edward Acevedo, D-Chicago, would make it illegal to manufacture, possess or deliver semi-automatic assault weapons, assault-weapon attachments, .50-caliber rifles and .50-caliber cartridges.

Last session, a similar bill sponsored by Rep. Acevedo fell three votes short of passage in the Illinois House.

If this one passes, it could affect five Quad-Cities area firearms manufacturers, three of them in Henry County -- Springfield Armory and ArmaLite Inc., both of Geneseo; Rock River Arms, Colona; Les Baer Custom, Hillsdale; and Lewis Machine and Tool Co., Milan.

It could mean the loss of several hundred jobs, and work for some area subcontractors. For companies such as Springfield Armory, which has 165 full-time employees, and ArmaLite, which has 85 employees, it also could mean a move to another state.

ArmaLite, which makes a .50-caliber rifle, gets much of its business from collectors, competitive target shooters, government agencies and the military, owner Mark Westrom said.

"The word is out on Illinois" about the bill, Mr. Westrom said. "We're getting letters of interest from South Dakota, Arkansas, Oklahoma. They're inviting us to come to their state."

Mr. Westrom said the .50-caliber models ArmaLite makes sell for about $3,000 and are a "long-range target gun. It's not something you manhandle around and use in a crime.

"Could it be misused? Heavens, a kitchen knife is misused far, far more. The .50-caliber is big, and most are very ugly. Their sin is they are the biggest that are allowed."

He said the nearly 5-foot long rifle is loud and weighs 34 pounds without accessories. "It's not something anyone is misusing in a car or a truck."

Mr. Westrom believes HB2414 is a feel-good measure for politicians, particularly those from Chicago and its suburbs.

Sen. Todd Sieben, R-Geneseo, opposes the bill, but says it's coming up in an election year, which may have an impact. "Generally speaking, gun-control bills have not passed the senate. Some bills are in districts where gun control is important for re-election."

National Rifle Association spokesman Todd Vandermyde said the bill would prohibit virtually everything ArmaLite makes and a third to a half of the production line that comes out of Springfield Armory.

He said it also would take a good chunk of business from Les Baer, Rock River Arms and Lewis Machine and Tool. "The bill makes it a crime for replacement parts. "Basically, you've got to look at every single gun and make a determination (what's legal)."

Rebecca Rausch, spokeswoman for Gov. Rod Blagojevich, said she couldn't comment on the potential job loss if the bill passed, but she did say the governor believes the bill is a way to make streets safer.

"The .50-caliber rifle is something the governor believes should be banned," she said. "It's one of the most destructive weapons available to the public. The governor is concerned with taking these weapons off the street." Were they ever on the street to begin with?

Rep. Acevedo said, if the bill, which has been amended eight times, is enacted, gun manufacturers would have to adapt and make different weapons.

"I'm sure they are going to continue manufacturing different sorts of weapons," he said. "How did they survive when the ban was in effect on the federal level?" The federal ban was completely different, dumbass.

As far as losing jobs, Rep. Acevedo said, "Did they ever hire more when the federal ban was not reinstated? So, as far as losing jobs or employment, I don't think it's affected one way or another." Again, completely different, asshole.

Mr. Westrom said there wasn't a ban on the manufacture of .50-caliber rifles during the federal ban enacted by Congress in 1994. When that ban ran out 10 years later, it wasn't reinstated.

Mr. Vandermyde said there are major differences between the federal ban and Illinois bill. For instance, having two or more military-style features, like a pistol grip or a flash suppresor, on a firearm would be illegal under the federal ban, but the Illinois law would prohibit any features.

Springfield Armory co-owner Dennis Reese said the federal ban forced his company to modify its guns to be different from what they are now. "It was problematic for us, because people wanted the original-looking rifles."

Mr. Reese and Mr. Westrom said they've added employees since the federal ban was lifted. Thus answering the asshole's question; yes, they hired more people after the ban ended. Mr. Reese said a state ban would put his products at a competitive disadvantage with gun manufacturers around the country who might have larger magazine capacities and other items prohibited in Illinois.

Illinois House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie, D-Chicago, believes HB2414 picks up where the federal ban left off. As for job loss in Henry County, Rep. Currie said, "Yes, I'm in favor of jobs. I don't know if I'm in favor of jobs if it's all about doing things to kill people. The balance comes down on the side of safety." Shut your cock holster.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I hate FIPs (F***ing Illinois Politicians!)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Mr. Reese said a state ban would put his products at a competitive disadvantage with gun manufacturers around the country.

"I'm sure they are going to continue manufacturing different sorts of weapons," he said. "How did they survive when the ban was in effect on the federal level?"

Nope - they'll adapt by setting up plants in a more gun friendly state.

As far as losing jobs, Rep. Acevedo said, "Did they ever hire more when the federal ban was not reinstated? So, as far as losing jobs or employment, I don't think it's affected one way or another."

Rebecca Rausch, spokeswoman for Gov. Rod Blagojevich, said she couldn't comment on the potential job loss if the bill passed.

As for job loss in Henry County, Rep. Currie said, "Yes, I'm in favor of jobs. I don't know if I'm in favor of jobs if it's all about doing things to kill people. The balance comes down on the side of safety."[/q]

OK, when these people do lose their jobs, they will be collecting public assistance.

Since the companies will be moving out of state, the state will not be gaining the revenue from those companies anymore, so where will the money be coming from?

[q]Sen. Todd Sieben, R-Geneseo, opposes the bill, but says it's coming up in an election year, which may have an impact. "Generally speaking, gun-control bills have not passed the senate. Some bills are in districts where gun control is important for re-election."[/q]

I guess the master plan will be to raise property taxes or sales tax rates to compensate? That'll get some votes.

Oh, and by the way, the criminals will still be bringing guns in so they won't ever be off the street.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
To all those manufacturers, INDIANA ARIZONA WILL WELCOME YOU WITH OPEN ARMS.

Fixed it!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
To all those manufacturers, INDIANA ARIZONA TEXAS WILL WELCOME YOU WITH OPEN ARMS.

Fixed it!

Now it's fixed properly!

Gotta contact my state legislators to get in touch with these companies, fast!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
To all those manufacturers, INDIANA ARIZONA TEXAS FLORIDA WILL WELCOME YOU WITH OPEN ARMS.

Fixed it!

We're already called the Gunshine State!  And think of the weather! Shooting year round, and beautiful beaches
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Given the laws in IL, I'm surprised it didn't happen long ago.  Next will be MA.

As bad as this bill is, this is the umpteenth time this sort of bill has been introduced in the Illinois legislature. They have failed each and every time, despite over 3 years of Blagoyevich, an entirely anti-gun government. and anti-gun democrat senate and house leaders (Republicans are the minority in all branches of Illinois gov).

As for jobs, these manufacturers are in downstate Illinois, which is very conservatives (and has conservative, pro-gun Democrats). The people in Chicago and some suburbs, could care less about downstate jobs. It might as well not even exist. Downstaters got what they deserved when they voted in droves for this government. They have usually voted for RINOs in the past.

Blagoyevich is betting the farm on this bill, hoping, I guess, that nobody downstate will notice that he is supporting gun control when he campaigned pro-gun down there.

It will fail, and hopefully him and his party along with it. That being said, the gun manufacturers should move out of the state immediately.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Max

One was used in a Denver CO murder several years ago.....about 1997.  IIRC perp went into a Safeway and killed his wife.  Went to his car as the cops showed up and shot a cop with a 50.

SRM

Um, no.  It was a Denver Albertson's, 4/28/95.  The perp's name was Albert Petrosky, nicknamed "Fifty-cal Al."  He HAD a .50 in his vehicle.  But he shot the cop with an SKS, one round to the face throught the windshield.  He shot his wife and a store employee with a handgun.  It is undertain whether he fired the .50 during the commission of the crime(s).  He was spared the death penalty, but later hung himself in his jail cell.  (Good riddance.)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Max

SRM

Um, no.  It was a Denver Albertson's, 4/28/95.  The perp's name was Albert Petrosky, nicknamed "Fifty-cal Al."  He HAD a .50 in his vehicle.  But he shot the cop with an SKS, one round to the face throught the windshield.  He shot his wife and a store employee with a handgun.  It is undertain whether he fired the .50 during the commission of the crime(s).  He was spared the death penalty, but later hung himself in his jail cell.  (Good riddance.)

Thanks for the correction.......it sucks growing old!

SRM
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Why does the rest of the state let shitcago screw them so badly ??
Apparently not enough of the rest of the state cares enough.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top