Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/26/2006 4:27:58 AM EDT
I dont want this for drinking. I like to marinate steaks in bourbon, but half an hour seems to be the max for it. Anything longer and the steak starts getting a strong alchohol taste. I was wondering if there is any quality bourbon that is under 80 proof to get more bourbon taste with less alchohol.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:35:28 AM EDT
All they do to cut the proof is add water. You can do the same. You could also condense the bourbon by letting it sit our in a glass for several hours to allow some evap. of the liquid and then add your water. That is just a guess on my part.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:50:54 AM EDT
Maybe if you simmer the bourbon for a few minutes, some of the alcohol will burn off, and you will be left with a more concentrated bourbon flavor. Then you can use that for the marinade.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:02:52 AM EDT
Are you just dropping the steaks into straight bourbon? I usually cut it with some oil & L&P sauce plus a few spices and garlic. How long are you letting it soak?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:58:14 AM EDT
I let it soak for half an hour. I once fell asleep during this process for 3 hours! I ate the steak, but it was defiantely not good!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:51:10 AM EDT

Are you just dropping the steaks into straight bourbon?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:02:39 AM EDT
Just marinate yourself with the booze...all a good steak really needs is a little salt & pepper.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:14:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BigButch301:
All they do to cut the proof is add water. You can do the same. You could also condense the bourbon by letting it sit our in a glass for several hours to allow some evap. of the liquid and then add your water. That is just a guess on my part.

+1.

Adding water is how the proof of bourbon is managed by the distiller. It comes out of the aging cask at 120+ proof, and water is added to bring the proof down to whatever level the distiller is looking for.

If you are interested, give Booker's Bourbon a try. It is bottled at cask strength, and can be 125 proof.
Top Top