Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 10:07:01 PM EDT
A car just got pulled over in front of my house.  They did a sobriety test which my wife tells me the chick failed miserably.  Does that give the police probable cause to search her vehicle?  I'm not condemning it or condoing it, just wondering.  I took pics, but across 8 lanes of traffic, the pics aren't turning out very well.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure they're arresting her, so seeing that her vehicle will be towed and impounded of course it'll have to be inventoried.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. Search incidental to arrest.  They can search anyplace in the car she could reasonably reach from her seat. Followed by an inventory of the car if it gets towed, to document what was inside so she can't say they took or the tow company took the 15 gold bricks in the back seat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Go out and ask the cop if they can do it, just remember to draw down first
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Search incident to arrest, consent, frisk of the vehicle, etc
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:38:28 AM EDT
[#5]
It is an exigent search.  It is to preserve evidence and for the safety of the officers.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#6]
At least she didn't resist.  My brother got busted for a DUI and the idiot resisted.  Glasses broken, bloody tissues all around his apartment awhen I visited him after he got out of jail, lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:46:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Conducting an inventory before the vehicle is towed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm sure they're arresting her, so seeing that her vehicle will be towed and impounded of course it'll have to be inventoried.

That's it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:05:12 AM EDT
[#10]
 So if they find contraband. Can further charges be pressed against the driver?   If so why?    If the car is just being inventoried wouldn't it be the same as a warantless search? No warant and no permision?  Do courts allow evidence obtained in such fashon to be evidence presentable in court?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A car just got pulled over in front of my house.  They did a sobriety test which my wife tells me the chick failed miserably.  Does that give the police probable cause to search her vehicle?  I'm not condemning it or condoing it, just wondering.  I took pics, but across 8 lanes of traffic, the pics aren't turning out very well.

8 lanes of taffic?    Do you let your kids cross the street to play at the nieghbors?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
 So if they find contraband. Can further charges be pressed against the driver?   If so why?    If the car is just being inventoried wouldn't it be the same as a warantless search? No warant and no permision?  Do courts allow evidence obtained in such fashon to be evidence presentable in court?

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
At least she didn't resist.  My brother got busted for a DUI and the idiot resisted.  Glasses broken, bloody tissues all around his apartment awhen I visited him after he got out of jail, lol

Why did your brother resist?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top