Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 7:04:41 PM EDT
I own a business. To operate my business, I own a couple of pickups (one of which you can see to the left of this post) and a 16' cargo trailer. The trailer weighs approximately 5,000lbs loaded. It goes with me everywhere I go when I go to work. Up until now, my non-commercial license has allowed me to drive and tow my trucks and trailer legally. However, just now I stumbled upon this gem at the CT DMV website:

Classification of Licenses
Effective January 9, 2006, the following are the new definitions of classifications, endorsements and restrictions that appear on Connecticut operator licenses:

Commercial:

Class A – Any motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle, including combination of vehicles.

Class B - Single vehicle over 26,000 lbs GVWR w/veh in tow 10,000 lbs GVWR or less.

Class C – Single vehicle 26,000 lbs or less GVWR w/veh in tow 10,000 lbs GVWR or less.

Non-Commercial Base License:

Class D - Any motor vehicle that does not require a CDL.

I have my own thoughts about what this says, can you guys give me your opinions on what you think it says?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like what Texas Dept. of Public Safety regs say.  I say you need a noncommercial standard license.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Class D should get you by due to the weight being <26k even with the trailer.  Probably best to ask someone who really knows.  Call up the DMV and ask to speak to a supervisor (or someone who speaks english as a first language)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Whether or not I'm reading this correctly is anybody's guess, but I see it this way:

Class D (non-commercial): Cannot tow any trailers but can operate any single vehicle under 26,000lbs.

If this is a correct translation, then I'm fucked.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Class D (non-commercial): Cannot tow any trailers but can operate any single vehicle under 26,000lbs.

I dont think that's the case.  What about everyone who wanted to tow their boat to the lake for the weekend?  Would they all need to get a commercial license?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont think that's the case.  What about everyone who wanted to tow their boat to the lake for the weekend?  Would they all need to get a commercial license?

It doesn't say, but I'm guessing recreational trailers are still exempt. My trailer (even though it's only 5,000lbs and was perfectly legal up until now) is for business use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top