Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/25/2006 6:28:30 PM EDT
The incident about the fool that blinded the pilots with a green laser got me thinking...In a setting of social disorder, a high power laser could be a weapon potentially more dangerous than most firearms most people can get their hands on.

Aside from the fact that blinding your enemy (even if only temporarily) could be a major psychological blow, the fact that the beam is effective tens of thousands of feet distant means that a user can control large areas, effectivly forcing his opponent to seek safe ground, never knowing where they can safely look, thus severely compromising their ability to observe the battlespace.

I have a set of military issue laser visors...but how effective they are I don't know.

What about you? Thought of this possibility?

Being blinded would suck...especially if the fecal matter was impacting the rotating aerofoil...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not worried so much about the lasers - I am worried about the sharks, whose heads the lasers are attatched to.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Mirror
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am not worried so much about the lasers - I am worried about the sharks, whose heads the lasers are attatched to.

I worry more about the sea bass.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Next?

Sheep
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Ill just put on my tinfoil hat might even start selling them hmmm

IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I worry more about the sea bass.

Those are nasty too.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Very funny.

Sunglasses, even mirrored ones, will do you no good.

By the way, the Chinese Army has fielded a laser specifically designed to blind enemy troops.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats the dumbest thing I've heard all day. Most people cant hold an 1" with good ammo, a good rifle with scope and stock off a bench and you think with a little handheld PEN your gonna shoot someone in the eyes?

Please.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thats the dumbest thing I've heard all day. Most people cant hold an 1" with good ammo, a good rifle with scope and stock off a bench and you think with a little handheld PEN your gonna shoot someone in the eyes?

Please.

Did you click on the link in my first post?

That moron hit those pilots from TWO MILES away...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#12]
In most places your not gonna do that on the ground.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Please.

You sir are ignorant. I have been lasered with a low powered laser while flying. I shudder to think what a high power laser could do.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:50:24 PM EDT
[#15]
LoL, you want to use a highly visable laser in a combat zone, can you say "INCOMING!".
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
LoL, you want to use a highly visable laser in a combat zone, can you say "INCOMING!".

Right...while the laser beam is scything the area, you are going to risk blindness by taking careful aim...directly into the beam...and remember, the laser can be MILES away from you...quite safely out of small arms range.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Right...while the laser beam is scything the area, you are going to risk blindness by taking careful aim...directly into the beam...and remember, the laser can be MILES away from you...quite safely out of small arms range.

You're one guy with one beam. Anybody who isn't getting hosed is going to be gunning for you.

What scenario are you talking about?

What if it's just you and laserboy?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#19]
With a bigger laser, of course.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#20]
lase the clowns right back! just because they have one doesnt mean you can't have TWO

get both
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Is this the dumbest thread all day? Can someone confirm?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#22]
No biggie.   When I see the laser beam coming, I'll either duck or turn my head.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#23]
How are they gonna be able to shine me if they don't know where i'm at? Now if i'm 1k yds away with my bolt gun in a little dank shack vs. some guy with a green laser pointer.

I'm putting the odds in 50 bmg.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No biggie.   When I see the laser beam coming,   I'll either duck or turn my head.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Somebody throw me a frickin' BONE here. Can SOMEBODY THROW ME A BONE?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#26]
You guys never thought of this till I brought it up.

And you are going to be instantly ready to react when it happens?

Go to ebay NOW dammit! I'm trying to save you!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No biggie.   When I see the laser beam coming,   I'll either duck or turn my head.

i16.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/b4/b0/fd_1_b.JPG

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#28]
This is pretty far out there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#29]

How effective are laser equipped rifles at blinding the enemy?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm gonna find a way to mount them to a freaking shark's head!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're one guy with one beam. Anybody who isn't getting hosed is going to be gunning for you.

Unless the laser isn't colored.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Laser huh... hummm.... I dunno....

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#33]
my advice would be...don't look at the laser.  if  the SHTF and roving bands of laser wielding bad guys are out there, look away.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#34]

This brings up the problem of looking through your scope at a bad guy just as he sights on you and turns on his LASER
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Is this the dumbest thread all day? Can someone confirm?

For sure AZ
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't think the pilots who were blinded or the hundred or so souls aboard that plane would think so.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#37]
thats a 1 in a million shot...gettin all worked up about this is like freakin out about lightning...im sure those victims dont think its silly...but im not scared of lightning
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok, if the BG gets me with a laser well, I guess Ill have to just suicide bomb his ass... Ill just stroll into his cafe with my cane and ask " Can you seem me now?".
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#39]
at this rate, next week we'll GI light sabers and plasma cannons

i like the dont look remedy...thats a winner...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#40]

"In 1995 the United Nations adopted Protocol IV of the Geneva Convention that specifically banned the use of laser devices on the battlefield designed to cause permanent blindness.  The United States was not a signatory to that protocol...."
http://www.smallarmsnet.org/docs/lmun06.pdf
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Very funny.

By the way, the Chinese Army has fielded a laser specifically designed to blind enemy troops.

not out of the realm, but how did you get the info?
Midwinter
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Very funny.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#43]
WTF, Over?    You are either trying to bait the tin foil hat clique... or you are cardcarrying member.

I really don't  understand the question.  Are you worried about military lasers?  If you get lased,  you will not even know it.  You will be dead within 5 to 20 seconds via application of good old fashioned H.E.
(In 5-10 years you can worry about microwave weapons)

Are you  worried  about civy green lasers?   (you shouldn't be)

If  you need to  worry, then worry about Fire. Famine, Flu,   or Lead Poisoning.    
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please.

You sir are ignorant. I have been lasered with a low powered laser while flying. I shudder to think what a high power laser could do.

Well, I'm at least smart enough not to look into a laser.

And is isnt like you cant turn your head away and advance.

But I tell ya what, if it makes you feel Rambo-ish you go buy your lasers. I'll stick with my AR thanks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Very funny.

not out of the realm, but how did you get the info?
Midwinter

Read this if you want to get pissed off. More collaboration.

www.afpc.org/crm/crm163.htm

China has already deployed the ZM-87 blinding laser, called a "dazzler" system, which resembles a machine-gun on a tripod mount. Although banned in many international treaties, China is offering the "dazzler" for export on the world market. The U.S. military has deployed no effective counter-measures for the "dazzler," such as protective glasses for soldiers. American pilots rely on night-vision equipment that cannot block the intense light beam.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The incident about the fool that blinded the pilots with a green laser got me thinking...In a setting of social disorder, a high power laser could be a weapon potentially more dangerous than most firearms most people can get their hands on.

Aside from the fact that blinding your enemy (even if only temporarily) could be a major psychological blow, the fact that the beam is effective tens of thousands of feet distant means that a user can control large areas, effectivly forcing his opponent to seek safe ground, never knowing where they can safely look, thus severely compromising their ability to observe the battlespace.

I have a set of military issue laser visors...but how effective they are I don't know.

What about you? Thought of this possibility?

Being blinded would suck...especially if the fecal matter was impacting the rotating aerofoil...

I'll start dropping acid again, and RAVE ON!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Three words: Temple of Light.

That's how I would handle lasers.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#49]
MODS please shut this down
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Why should they? What wisdom does your 66 posts claim? Feb2006?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top