Hold on. Poll coming.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTP
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#3]
they are not slipping in sales - and if they were, it would be because everyone already has three.  I have four.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
they are not slipping in sales - and if they were, it would be because everyone already has three.  I have four.

+1  I have a full size and ultra compact 1911.  I'm maxed out.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
if they are (which I'm not sure about) it's probably a capacity issue
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Who says they are?
Guess I will have to go buy another one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I've always been shy of the whole "cocked and locked" thing. I love guns and carry a pistol whenever I leave my house, but I'm intimidated by 1911's.

Blasphemy in certain circles I'm sure, but there it is.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I own two 1911s. I more than likely won't get another one. Two SIGS, two Springfield 1911s,  and a BUG is about the end of it for me. Okay, I'll probably get another SIG.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Who says they are?

+1
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Who said they were slipping?

I'm just holding back waiting for the 100th Anniversary models coming out in 5 years
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Because everything else is better.

J/K... I love my RIA 1911.  Cheap and it works everytime.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#12]
What makes you thinking they are in a sales decline?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't know they were slipping, but if they are it is the expiration of the AWB.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I didn't know they were slipping, but if they are it is the expiration of the AWB.

Bingo!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Let's seem some figures.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I suppose it's just my imagination, or the fact that most people are typically bragging about their new Glock, XD, SIG, Berretta, HK, etc. Plus, the average cost of a new 1911 seems to be in high $700 to $900 dollar range. Where as a new Glock, XD, SIG, etc., can be found for $450 to $600.

And higher capacity plays a part too.

IMHO
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I doubt 1911 sales are slipping.  Several of the popular models are hard to get as everyone is always sold out
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Agreed.  Don't know that 1911 sales are decreasing, but if they are I would guess it is related to the end of the AWB (spare for those of us in NY...)

In an effort to get the most bang for the buck under the AWB meant for many buying .45 ACP pistols - such as the 1911.

With the AWB gone, some are going for the higher capacity pistols again, or splitting the difference with .40 S&W caliber pistols.

Also, perhaps cash that would have gone towards semi-auto pistols is going to pay for Evil Black Rifles before the next inevitable wave of gun grabbing comes about?  Of course, that would translate across all semi-auto pistol sales and not just 1911s.

Again, I don't have any special knowlege, just a thought...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo!

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've always been shy of the whole "cocked and locked" thing. I love guns and carry a pistol whenever I leave my house, but I'm intimidated by 1911's.

YMMV.

It's ok, one day you'll be a man...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#22]
go look up the back logs of 1911 smiths....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Capacity.
Single action only.
Sharp beavertail.
Sharp hammer when carrying cocked and locked.
Having to carry cocked and locked.
Expensive.
Heavy.
Unsimplified take down.
45 is the primary caliber.
A single stack full size 9mm is lame.

I love the 1911, but those are some of the things I think would sway people away. People rely on capacity, they don't like having to carry cocked and locked, they don't like sharper protruding objects, they're pricey, pistol weights are dropping lower and lower, they make a Glock's take down look childishly easy, alot of people are afraid of the 45 ACP round, and the 1911 simply wasn't designed for any round but 45.

I doubt the sales are slipping, even though the 1911 is probably the most common handgun in the world. The 1911 is still my favorite handgun bar none and the fact that sales are still strong almost 100 years later is proof that it's by far the most popular handgun of all time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#24]
...because todays generation can't handle it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#25]
1911's are more popular than ever, and one of these days after the plastic fad dies, they will still be around.

I can't decide if it's my favorite handgun, or not, but I enjoyed shooting my #1 1911 today.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#26]
There's no poll option for "they suck"

Quoted:
1911's are more popular than ever, and one of these days after the plastic fad dies, they will still be around.

I can't decide if it's my favorite handgun, or not, but I enjoyed shooting my #1 1911 today.

Glocks have been around for 20 years now.  In those 20 years they've sold 4.5 million handguns in the US alone.  Not sure that's just a fad.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glocks have been around for 20 years now.  In those 20 years they've sold 4.5 million handguns in the US alone.  Not sure that's just a fad.

there is no poll option for that because a "they suck" option would not be applicable to the 1911.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

YMMV.

Simple----Have FN`s SFS installed ad you`re good to go.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

there is no poll option for that because a "they suck" option would not be applicable to the 1911.  

You tell me which ones don't.  I've owned 3 of them.  2 of them were Kimbers.  None could EVER be tuned to the point where it would run more than about 400 rounds without a malfunction.  Both the glocks I've owned were malfunction free, my Glock 22 has over 30k rounds through it in under a year and never been cleaned good, just a few bore swabs.  ZERO malfunctions.  

I do happen to love the design of 1911s though.  If someone could make one that didn't suck and was as reliable as my glock, and was a double stack, it'd be my carry piece.  Until then, the Glock, that works, stays on my belt.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#31]
If they are slipping......GOOD.

The only slipping I can see is the number of varients that 1911 companies produce.  Let be realistic for a second, how many times can they re-package the 1911.

Kimber makes the Desert Warrior.........................great it has a new paint job
Kimber makes the Raptor......................................great it has a ugly grip and "scales"
Springfield puts a rail on the bottom.....................WOW
Ed Brown puts his name on the side......................He is the greatest
Wilson Combat makes a green and black 1911....Innovative

No matter how you dress it up or market it, it is still a 1911. If you like them, wonderful but lets stop with the gun rags always saying "THE GREATEST HANDGUN EVER        A  1911 with some new crap.....it looks like and shoots like a 1911 from 90 years ago, but this one has a NEW paint job

At least a Glock is ugly as sin, but they are not re leasing a new Glock model year after year with a new grip or extractor to increase sales.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

That piece of $hit?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If they are slipping......GOOD.

The only slipping I can see is the number of varients that 1911 companies produce.  Let be realistic for a second, how many times can they re-package the 1911.

Kimber makes the Desert Warrior.........................great it has a new paint job
Kimber makes the Raptor......................................great it has a ugly grip and "scales"
Springfield puts a rail on the bottom.....................WOW
Ed Brown puts his name on the side......................He is the greatest
Wilson Combat makes a green and black 1911....Innovative

No matter how you dress it up or market it, it is still a 1911. If you like them, wonderful but lets stop with the gun rags always saying "THE GREATEST HANDGUN EVER        A  1911 with some new crap.....it looks like and shoots like a 1911 from 90 years ago, but this one has a NEW paint job

At least a Glock is ugly as sin, but they are not re leasing a new Glock model year after year with a new grip or extractor to increase sales.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That piece of $hit?

?? sorry, dont understand.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Capacity.
Single action only.
Sharp beavertail.
Sharp hammer when carrying cocked and locked.
Having to carry cocked and locked.
Expensive.
Heavy.
Unsimplified take down.
45 is the primary caliber.
A single stack full size 9mm is lame.

I love the 1911, but those are some of the things I think would sway people away. People rely on capacity, they don't like having to carry cocked and locked, they don't like sharper protruding objects, they're pricey, pistol weights are dropping lower and lower, they make a Glock's take down look childishly easy, alot of people are afraid of the 45 ACP round, and the 1911 simply wasn't designed for any round but 45.

I doubt the sales are slipping, even though the 1911 is probably the most common handgun in the world. The 1911 is still my favorite handgun bar none and the fact that sales are still strong almost 100 years later is proof that it's by far the most popular handgun of all time.

Not even close.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Not even close.

What is the most common? Hi-Power? S&W M&P .38? Makarov? Glock?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I doubt the sales are slipping, even though the 1911 is probably the most common handgun in the world United States.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Wait a minute... WAIT A MINUTE...

WAIT ONE FRIGGIN MINUTE!!!!!

You mean to tell me there is ANOTHER type of pistol OTHER than a 1911?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I doubt the sales are slipping, even though the 1911 is probably the most common handgun in the world United States.

Fixed it for you.

I doubt that's even true.  By brand Glock is by far in first.  There are over 4.5 million glocks in the US.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Yep, there sure it.  You gotta watch out though - the boxy squared plastic ones have a tendency to blow up in your hand.  Handle with caution.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, there sure it.  You gotta watch out though - the boxy squared plastic ones have a tendency to blow up in your hand.  Handle with caution.

PLASTIC??? you mean for HUMAN use?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

You tell me which ones don't.  I've owned 3 of them.  2 of them were Kimbers.  None could EVER be tuned to the point where it would run more than about 400 rounds without a malfunction.  Both the glocks I've owned were malfunction free, my Glock 22 has over 30k rounds through it in under a year and never been cleaned good, just a few bore swabs.  ZERO malfunctions.  

I do happen to love the design of 1911s though.  If someone could make one that didn't suck and was as reliable as my glock, and was a double stack, it'd be my carry piece.  Until then, the Glock, that works, stays on my belt.

You have put 30,000 rounds of ammo through your Glock 22 in 1 year and never cleaned it.  Damn, where do you buy your ammo, that has got to run you $4000.00 the last year just for ammo.  You reload? That's close to 600 rds a week every week if you don't take a break.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#43]
because evryone is holding off for the Taurus PT1911
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

schweppe.org/images/chimpanzee-glock.jpg

The typical glock lover

I bet this guy wishes he bought something other than a Glock -

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#46]
IF it is true...

High Price
Lower Quality (at least perceived)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#47]
1911 sales can't be slipping.  I just bought one.  What ever I buy becomes the "In" thing to have.    

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

schweppe.org/images/chimpanzee-glock.jpg

alright.....who let the monkey play with teh hand grenade
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#49]
...and on the eighth day, GOD made the 1911-and He saw that it was good.

i wouldn't go as far as to say that glocks suck, but they do have some drawbacks.

1.  the really aren't as safe as all the glock-heads would have you believe.  the incidence of NDs is undoubtedly high among people who use glock as their CCW.
2. plastic is for barbie's townhouse, a MAN's gun is made of steel

3. they are as ugly as the north end of a southbound pig

4. the kaboom factor

5. hell, even glock's website sucks monkey
just because the 1911 design is old, doen't mean it isn't effective.  people have screwed around for years trying to build the perfect handgun, and yet look what they keep coming back to.   why mess with perfection?  don't fix something that isn't broken.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
...and on the eighth day, GOD made the 1911-and He saw that it was good.

i wouldn't go as far as to say that glocks suck, but they do have some drawbacks.

1.  the really aren't as safe as all the glock-heads would have you believe.  the incidence of NDs is undoubtedly high among people who use glock as their CCW.
2. plastic is for barbie's townhouse, a MAN's gun is made of steel

3. they are as ugly as the north end of a southbound pig

4. the kaboom factor

5. hell, even glock's website sucks monkey

just because the 1911 design is old, doen't mean it isn't effective.  people have screwed around for years trying to build the perfect handgun, and yet look what they keep coming back to.   why mess with perfection?  don't fix something that isn't broken.

dang skippy...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top