Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 8:38:32 AM EDT
I know the prices don't go in a linear progression, but for simplicity, let's assume they do...

Better to get (with a limited budget, of say $100)...1 x 1GB card, 2 x 512MB cards, or 4 x 256MB cards?

Had a discussion with my boss...he bought his new wife a Digital Camera as a wedding present, and was going to get some additional memory cards for her.    I think going with 2 x 512MB is best.  Large enough capacity that you don't have to change cards all the time, but you still have 2 cards just in case one fails (or falls in the toilet, or gets stepped on, etc. etc....).

What are your thoughts?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to do the several smaller cards, when the big ones were much more expensive than they are now, but I finally just went with a 1gig card, and I like that much better.  Beats swapping cards back and forth looking for specific pictures when you take a lot of them.

It is very highly unlikely that it will fail, as long as you buy a good brand.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree.  I have two and the second is a backup.  My camera is a 4MP.  With a 128MB card, I can take around 52 photos before running out of storage.  For my needs, I don't really see a point in larger disk than 128MB for normal use.  I download to the PC long before I ever get close to 52 photos.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I would say opt for the one big card.

It depends on how you intend to download your images. I never take my card out of the camera, as I use a USB interface to download my pictures. Some folks like to use a card reader.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 I think going with 2 x 512MB is best.  Large enough capacity that you don't have to change cards all the time, but you still have 2 cards just in case one fails (or falls in the toilet, or gets stepped on, etc. etc....).

Or you want to use the camera and realize DOH! that the 1 card you got is back home in the computer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Had a discussion with my boss...he bought his new wife a Digital Camera as a wedding present, and was going to get some additional memory cards for her.    I think going with 2 x 512MB is best.  Large enough capacity that you don't have to change cards all the time, but you still have 2 cards just in case one fails (or falls in the toilet, or gets stepped on, etc. etc....).

The two 512 is the best. More flexible, and if one gets corrupted you have a backup.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#6]
The bigger the card the better ... You didn't mention what your camera had for Megapixels, but more MP's takes up more space. Ideally you don't want to be swapping cards out every 10 minutes.

I've got 2, 1GB card for my 8.2MP camera, and the 256MB card that came with it as a last resort. This is a good setup for an afternoon of shooting for me.

I'd get the 1GB card, and if you have money leftover get a card reader to download ... much simpler than having to connect the camera everytime (the more difficult it is, the less frequently you'll want to download your images).
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Not sure on the card format or camera size--I would guess 5MP from the $250 price he said he paid.  

I'll pass the info along.

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Two cards is good, but for one of our cameras we have 4-5 cards, because the 64MB xd memory was really cheap and we got several.  64mb cards hold a lot of photos from a 2 or 3 MP camera.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Two cards is good, but for one of our cameras we have 4-5 cards, because the 64MB xd memory was really cheap and we got several.  64mb cards hold a lot of photos from a 2 or 3 MP camera.

A 64mb card will hold 5 pictures from my camera
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top