Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 8:04:45 PM EDT
does it shoot better with the bayonet extended or folded?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Mine shoot equally well either way. They're not precision tack drivers, so the old wives tale about them being more accurate with the bayonet extended doesn't hold much merit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The range master did not like me shooting it extended.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
It's designed to be fired extended.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmm...I wonder if Old_Painless has a M44 lying around..
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#5]
the position with the bayo does affect POI.  It was sighed in with the bayo extended, so shoot it extended.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot mine both ways...It does shoot more accurately with the bayo extended. At least mine does YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:50:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't see how it could make a difference? Other than changing the center of mass on the rifle ever so slightly I would think it is bogus to say one shoots better than the other. But what do I know, I live in a state where they don't trust me with bayonets.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
So how much does it screw up my accuracy not having it on there at all?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the position with the bayo does affect POI.  It was sighed in with the bayo extended, so shoot it extended.

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]
It won't screw up anything, just re-sight it in the way you are going to shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So how much does it screw up my accuracy not having it on there at all?

Probably not a whole hell of a lot.

I like shooting my AR with a bayonet on there to keep the muzzle down when rapid firing
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine is actually off with the bayo extended, shoots better folded for me. Hits left or right with the bayo out, I forget which.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#15]

I don't see how it could make a difference?

Oh please.  You think having a solid wall right next to the bullet path for 12 inches beyond the muzzle won't have any effect on the pressure distribution on the bullet?.  And the effective CG of the barrel as a whole, and thus its modal response, won't be affected?

Mine shoots better (for an old russian surplus PoC) with the bayo extended.  Better means a group the size of a baseball at 50 yds, vs a group the size of a cantaloupe.

As noted, we ain't talkin tack-drivers here.  The kids like it for the volume of dirt it throws on impact, and the fireball.  For $70, that's about all you can expect.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats the answer

BTW any positions open on your cabinet yet?  I do know my commie guns!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#18]

I've had mine for about 3 years but have not fired it yet.  Is there any easy way to get the friggin cosmoline off of it??  I do have access to plenty of  Odorless Mineral Spirits at work, will that cut the stuff and will it harm the stock?  I'm getting more interested in shooting the ol' beast as I read the M44 threads here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
 I've had mine for about 3 years but have not fired it yet.  Is there any easy way to get the friggin cosmoline off of it??  I do have access to plenty of  Odorless Mineral Spirits at work, will that cut the stuff and will it harm the stock?  I'm getting more interested in shooting the ol' beast as I read the M44 threads here.

Cosmo melts at about 160-170° F, so put it in the oven at about 175-180°F for a few minutes, and judge from there.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cosmo melts at about 160-170° F, so put it in the oven at about 175-180°F for a few minutes, and judge from there.

Its my understanding that boiling/very hot water poured on it does the trick. I bought an M44 last weekend and hope to try the water trick soon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

ask DPMMN about heat and cosmoline!!

as far as removing it, there are MANY recipes for removal. when my buddy got his SKS we used just regular old Hoppes and it cleaned it like no ones business... unfortunately when he went to the range and it was a hot day as we were running rounds through it and heating it up good, we found places that hid cosmoline from us.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The range master did not like me shooting it extended.

Well he is an idiot
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

64.82.96.51/3223902-1.jpg

Is that M44 in the pic yours? That one looks beat to hell. As far as M44's go... they are fun, cheap, ammo is cheap... Russian technology... what more can you say? They are made to last.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#24]
This is the best way to remove cosmoline if you plan to do more then one rifle.

surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/lowheatmethod2/index.asp
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#25]
easy-off oven cleaner works great on the wood, just rub some tung oil on it after you are finished.  Its not like you are going to ruin the valuable original finish.

brake cleaner or gun scrubber for the metal.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Bench it and see if you get any different results.  My rifle is point on with the bayonet extended, but approx 5 inches to the left with it left down. Groups nice and tight, but it is definitely off. The rifle was designed to be shot with the bayonet extended. I believe there is something about the harmonics which throws the accuracy off with the bayonet folded.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Yup, its a product called elbow grease

Actually, try shooting the rifle and you will be amazed at the amount of goopy cosmoline that comes out of that thing when it heats up. Just don't wear nice clothes the first few times you shoot it.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#28]
never tried mine with it out
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This is the best way to remove cosmoline if you plan to do more then one rifle.

surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/lowheatmethod2/index.asp

I was about to post that....

There are many ways of removeing cosmolene the best is heat, thats why when you think you've gotten the cosmolene, and go to the range more bubbles out as the gun heats up....

You can use heat a number of ways put it into the oven at about 100-150 degrees (Cosmolene combusts at around 200 degrees so I wouldn't recomend going above 150 degrees....), leave it in the back of the car by the back window on a hot sunny day, putting it in a black plastic garbage bag, and leaving it in the sun (Or in the car window....) on a hot sunny day, build a stock oven like in the link eighther that way, or use some heating duct, and a space heater, with eighther method you can make it hotter by painting the outside of the oven black, or just wipe it down, use hoppes, etc., take it to the range, and repeat, eventually you'll get the cosmolene out....

The other methods mentioned so far are bad....  Boiling water will raise the wood grain, and may warp the stock, and mineral spirits will strip the finnish from the stock, as will the easy off....  Don't listen to the person that suggests doing that, and just applying linseed oil, thats refinnishing not cleaning, and will destroy the value of the rifle as well as it's history, and is just as bad as a Bubba job, there common now, but there finite in number, 60 years ago Origional NON-CAPTURED K-98s were very common, and cheap you could almost trip over them Sears had barrels full of them for a few dollars each, try finding one now that hasn't been bubbaed, and out of those one that hasn't been refinished the remainder are in the $800-$900 range, by reffinishing you destroy the historic, and collectors value of the rifle, and it becomes just a rifle, it also destorys the monetary value, to the person that suggested refinnishing let me say that if want a "pretty gun" go to Walmart, leave the historic rifles for the rest of us....

As for the bayonet, the Soviets desighed it to be fired with the bayonet extended, and sighted it in with the bayonet extended, your results may very but most will be way off without the bayonet extended, I know mine wont even really hit paper with the bayonet folded, it impacts way off to the Left, extend the bayonet, and it hits wear you point it....  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
easy-off oven cleaner works great on the wood, just rub some tung oil on it after you are finished.  Its not like you are going to ruin the valuable original finish.

brake cleaner or gun scrubber for the metal.

Easy Off huh? THANKS!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:46:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Since you're in TX, I've heard of guys putting it in a black garbage bag with kitty litter in it and putting it in the back of a truck or trunk of a car for a couple days in the summer.  Litter sucks up the melted cosmo.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:02:26 AM EDT
[#32]

I never shoot them at paper, just steel.

ETA, Russian, Polish, Hungarian, and a Romanian that's not in the pic.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:16:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:37:13 AM EDT
[#34]
I love these things, I have Russian M1938, two M44's and a 91/59, a Romainian that is has 100% metal and a russian stock(they shipped it broken at the wrist but it ended up being real cheap) and a Polish M44.  

They seem to work the same no matter where the bayonet is pointed.  They make great rifles for zombie emergencies and behind the seat in the truck.  You can buy several for cheap, ammo is a bargain, powerful and plentiful.

They should have just dropped crates of them into the hurricane Katrina disaster area and came in two months later to dig mass graves.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a Russian M44 that came in the mummy wrap from Century that was dead on with bayonet folded. My Polish M44 has to have it extended.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=6909

I never shoot them at paper, just steel.

ETA, Russian, Polish, Hungarian, and a Romanian that's not in the pic.

those are all in great shape but MAN! That Russian one is just awesome!!.. Gorgeous!!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

those are all in great shape but MAN! That Russian one is just awesome!!.. Gorgeous!!!!

I've been looking for a Chinese type 53 to round out my collection. Most of them look like hell though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top