User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:50:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My God, Space: 1999 completely ceased to exist in my memory until I saw that pic!

I loved that show

Me too.

Oh, and you're all a buncha geeks...

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing the photos and memories.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:17:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to build them a lot, but right now I don't have a dedicated area for it. I do have enough kits put away  to last several years. Maybe someday, but my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Good kits are pretty expensive these days. I remember when the AMT car kits were $1.49 for the cheaper ones, and $2.00 for the 3-in-1 kits with all the extra parts. The cool thing today is that many manufacturers put out "retro" kits... remakes of their old and obsolete stuff, often packaged using original box art. This gives people who missed out a second chance to build (or collect) the kits they always wanted but never bought, and it gives younger builders a chance to journey back in time to see what their fathers built when they were kids.

A couple of decent model forums:

www.finescale.com/FSM/CS/forums/Default.aspx

www.scaleautomag.com/sca/community/forum/
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:59:19 AM EDT
[#3]
VERY NICE QUIB! Good job on the painting and weathering!

I once did an X-wing but that's long gone now.

I have been into modelling since my teens. Mostly military models. Tanks and planes. I have dabbled in 1:35 military figures but could not perfect the face and skintones .... so I gave that up.  

With the advent of Desert Storm, I have since been building armor in desert scheme. M1A1 Abrams, Hummers, Bradleys etc.

I have not built any lately since I needed to wear glasses. I get frustrated with the small parts now!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:04:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here's a pic of the interior of a M-2 Bradley I built a few years back.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-8/809886/bradley.jpg

Hey I have one just like that ... TAMIYA 1:35 .... It's still in the box though. I have a finished one but without the detailed interior.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:05:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just brushed off about 1/2" of dust off of these:

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/AyeGuy/DSCN0261.jpg

M2 Bradley in MERDEC
i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/AyeGuy/DSCN0258.jpg

BMP-2 in commie MERDEC
i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/AyeGuy/DSCN0259.jpg

M2A2 in NATO tricammo
i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/AyeGuy/DSCN0260.jpg

great camo job!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Looks like he was following a gravel truck a little too close
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:38:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/380723-big.jpg

Looks like he was following a gravel truck a little too close

Yea, they spread gravel on the roads of the ice planet Hoth. It’s not really well known since that part was edited out of the movie.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ever bought a 55 gallon drum of Testors model cement?   The salesman looks at you REALLY funny.

Arrrrr, can ye smell sniff it?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a bunch of aircraft models in my closet.  I've been too busy with work to build them.  I'm not bad at it, but I tend to rush them and the results aren't so good.  I also paint and draw, so basically I try to divide my time between the two hobbies.

My secret to good finishes and especially with decals is Future Floor Polish.  A couple of light coats out of the airbrush and the decals blend perfectly.  Another coat, and a flat wash, and the decal looks like it was painted on.  Any scratches on canopies or clear parts? Dip it in Future.  Like magic.

Thanks for the tip!

When I was a kid Testors made Decal Set in a spray can, I couldn't find it at the local hobby store so I used flat clear.

No Problem! Just make sure when you do it you coat the whole model lightly and evenly with Future, because if you don't the flat coat will look bad.  I have yet to find anything as versatile as Future with model building.

Here is a site all about the modelling applications of future
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag... cool pics guys.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Any more modelers out there?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I am, but nowhere near as good as some of you here.

I have a few kits I haven't built. I'll get to them eventually.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Any more modelers out there?

just a wanna-be.  I built every dang last 1/48 WWII airplane Monogram made, as a kid.  Then college, jobs, airplane, shooting, and kids soaked up all my time (go figure).

Bought  1/48 and 1/35  M1 tank models after reading Thunder Run, still have a pile of helicopter kits after working a Boeing Vertol (20 yrs ago).  Never seemed to have time.  One of the kids built a couple of kits, but just wasn't into it.  Can't say I'm completely disappointed, model building ain't gonna garner no scholarships, and he's just not anal enough about it to do a meticulous job (like I was).

I would like to find time to do it again, but frankly its time away from the range or teaching the kids to shoot.  After I hit the lottery and can afford to not work, then maybe.  Or maybe I'll just hire someone to build them so I can make vvvrrooom vvrrooom noises with the completed kits.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I love the suicidal Hobo

LOL

JK

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#15]
^
^
|
|

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice Speeder.  That was one of the last kits I ever built.  I did an AT-AT at my wife's request, but it was recently destroyed in a furniture moving accident.

I built scale plastic models - mostly 1:48 aircraft - for years.  Pretty much between the ages of 10 and 25.  I was pretty good at it when I stopped.  I always wanted to work for ILM or as an Imagineer for Disney.  But I got into shooting when I turned 21, and it eventually took over my work bench (now my reloading bench.)

I had plans to do a really detailed, illuminated Millenium Falcon, but just couldn't work up the enthusiasm to do it.

Nice work, you guys.  Brings back a lot of memories.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I had plans to do a really detailed, illuminated Millenium Falcon, but just couldn't work up the enthusiasm to do it.

Fear not. Finemolds has recently produced a 1/72 Millenium Falcon kit for those who want detail. Indeed, at 900 parts, it's far more detailed than the original model they used to make the movie!

Unforunately, it also retails for between $200 and $300, which is a lot of dosh for a 1/72 kit, even one that comes out about a foot in diameter.

NTM
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I like to build ships and planes:

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's a tragic example of what happens when you smoke funny stuff and build.
I don't know why I still have this abomination.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/twonami/104_0423.jpg

Space: 1999

Nerd!

I have the UFO DVDs so I'm a uber nerd

Space: 1999 (season 1 only - season 2 sucked), UFO, Thunderbirds, Joe 90, Captain Scarlet, Stingray, Supercar, Fireball XL5, Thuderbirds are GO!, Thunderbird 6 all on DVD... hell I even have a copy of Doppleganger (Journey to the Far Side of the Sun) ON LASERDISC.  

you're my hero,,,

i envy your nerdness,

one day i hope to be at your level (or dethrone you!!!)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Dude, I think you're the first person I've heard of in the US who has a clue who Captain Scarlet is.

(Which, given I thought it was an American show, is kindof odd)

NTM
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:12:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Got more unbuilt airliner models in the closet than I know what to do with. And now Minicraft is coming out with DC-8s,damn!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I stopped building plastic models when I was about 10.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:35:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I think plastic models are on the way out.

The young people today just don't have the patience needed to build one...let alone the interest. The pimp/whore pop culture takes all their time. The kit makers even tried to release pre-painted "kits" that took minimal assembly. No interest. I'm seeing a lot of pre-made and fully assembled die-cast and plastic models hitting the market now...because people won't take the time to do the work. Those things are just toys IMHO. When I built a kit as a kid, I had a real sense of pride at my hadicraft. How do kids get that now?

I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:06:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, I buy them, but I throw away the model and just keep the glue for medicinal purposes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:01:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I think plastic models are on the way out.

The young people today just don't have the patience needed to build one...let alone the interest. The pimp/whore pop culture takes all their time. The kit makers even tried to release pre-painted "kits" that took minimal assembly. No interest. I'm seeing a lot of pre-made and fully assembled die-cast and plastic models hitting the market now...because people won't take the time to do the work. Those things are just toys IMHO. When I built a kit as a kid, I had a real sense of pride at my hadicraft. How do kids get that now?

I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords.

Along with model rockets, and pretty much anything requiring patience/time. The Xbox/ADHD generation is pretty much screwed up, IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:26:49 AM EDT
[#26]
here are some of my favorite kits... Metal Track links are the best!
Tiger I

Panther G on flat bed

Raptor!

Tiger II supply
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Good job on the Star Wars rig.

I wish I had the money I've spent on models in my life.

I've been collecting the 1:48 kits of planes. I've got a B-1, F-16 and a B-52. I think that's all I'll have to check!

They are getting harder to find. I know I could order them but I buy them on impulse mostly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:00:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Someone recommend a good online hobby-shop.  The only one I know of around here closed a while back
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
here are some of my favorite kits... Metal Track links are the best!
Tiger I
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=45270
Panther G on flat bed
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=45271
Raptor!
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=45272
Tiger II supply
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=45273

CB1, your German armor rocks!

I've built a few dioramas myself over the years. The job leaves little time for it anymore.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#35]
That late-war German cammo was cool. The red-brown color is actually just the factury primer coat base with regular tan and green paint applied around it; the shortages at that point in the war were so bad.

Almost all the hobby stores in my town have gone out of busines too...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:07:21 AM EDT
[#36]
After 20 some years I am just getting back into modeling.  I finally have room to do it again.

Old line up

Latest work in progress
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A good friend of mine makes models for a living.

His website

Wow, that is quite possibly one of the most annoying professional websites I've ever visited.

ROFL I was thinking the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Someone recommend a good online hobby-shop.  The only one I know of around here closed a while back

Start with Squadron.

It's really the only one I've ordered from, or really looked at.
Their site kinda sucks. It's easy enough to search, but the pictures are lousy, and their isn't much of a description. If you know what you want, it's easy enough. But this has been my first experience online, and my first experience with aftermarket part kits for models. So I'm a little fuzzy about what I'm ordering some times. Especially when it comes to the mixed media detail kits.

And get a subscription to Fine Scale Modeler.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I had a really neat set up of army jeeps, tanks, personnel carriers, planes, etc.  I took them out into the snow and set them up  when I was about 14 or so.  I shot them, blew them up with fireworks and burned them ...the battle was lost.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Was just at a contest. Some depressingly good models there.

This is the latest finish.

NTM
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top