Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/24/2006 12:10:38 PM EDT
If this does not piss you off I don't know what will. Can the Gov ever tell the truth about a issue. 6 Ports my ass. This is a disgrace. God help us we sure do need it. Sorry if this is a dupe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ARABIANS AT THE GATE
22 ports in Arab deal,
not just 6 as reported
Scope of Dubai firm to stretch from Maine to Gulf of Mexico

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: February 24, 2006
3:00 p.m. Eastern

By Jerome R. Corsi, Ph.D.

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Dubai Ports World is scheduled to take over operations at 22 U.S. ports, not six as previously reported by most major media.

According to the website of P&O Ports, the port-operations subsidiary of the London-based Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Co. (P&O), DPW will pick up stevedore services at 12 East Coast ports including Portland, Maine; Boston; Davisville, R.I.; New York; Newark; Philadelphia; Camden, N.J.; Wilmington, Del.; Baltimore, Md.; and Virginia locations at Newport News, Norfolk, and Portsmouth.

Additionally, DPW will take over P&O stevedoring operations at nine ports along the Gulf of Mexico including the Texas ports of Lake Charles, Beaumont, Port Arthur, Galveston, Houston, Freeport, and Corpus Christi, plus the Louisana ports of Lake Charles and New Orleans.

Previously reported have only been P&O Ports' container operations at New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Miami, and New Orleans. Stevedore services also typically involve the loading and unloading of containers on and off cargo ships, as well as moving and storing containers, though often in separate facilities from where containers are initially loaded and unloaded from the cargo ships. Thus, while DPW will be operating the container terminal operations of only the six ports initially disclosed, DPW will be managing stevedore services, handling containers at a total of 21 ports, located along the Eastern seaboard from Maine to Virginia, and across the Gulf of Mexico from Texas to Louisiana.

Additionally, the website of P&O Ports North America lists that P&O provides container services at the Port of Miami, through a subsidiary identified as P&O Ports Florida, Inc. This brings to 22 the total number of American ports where DPW will be acquiring P&O operations. On Jan. 24, P&O Ports North America and the Tampa Port authority announced they reached an agreement to enter into a long-term contract permitting P&O to operate terminals at the Port of Tampa for general and refrigerated cargo. By acquiring P&O internationally, DPW will pick up all P&O operating agreements, including this one just concluded in Tampa. (.pdf file)

The website of P&O Ports North America brags that "P&O Ports North America is now the largest independent stevedore and terminal operator on the U.S. East and Gulf coasts with operations in most ports from Maine to Texas."

In reality, DPW is a front-company 100 percent owned by the government of Dubai. The nearly $7 billion in debt financing put together by international bankers to finance the DPW acquisition of P&O was predicated on the A1 Moody's rating of the government of Dubai, plus the assurance that the "full faith and credit" of the government of Dubai would guarantee 100 percent repayment of all loans and interest payments required to debt finance this leveraged acquisition.

As WND is reporting today, new polling information reveals only 17 percent of Americans favor the deal to turn over control of U.S. ports to a state-sponsored company in the United Arab Emirates, and shows a major blow to President Bush's perceived leadership in the war on terror.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I bet a majority of our troops overseas are really pissed about this issue.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Why would this  be a problem? Can anyone explain why Dubai Ports World operating shipping terminals (not the ports, not security, not customs), would be an increased threat to the US?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
but but but.....they're A-rabs!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

a friend of mine who just got back was a staunch "Bush Man" before he left.

I spoke to him at length about this last night and needless to say he is extremely upset.

Further, he is concerned that the latest mosque bombing may result in an Iraqi Civil War between the Shiite and Sunni Muslims.  The Iraqi War, would be "unwinnable" if this were to occur.

He also expressed frustration at the bureaucratic red tape the soldiers have to step over and around during missions (to engage targets it isn't as easy as simply radioing ahead, certain parameters musty be addressed by the higher ups and this takes entirely too long)

Just thought it was interesting...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why would this  be a problem? Can anyone explain why Dubai Ports World operating shipping terminals (not the ports, not security, not customs), would be an increased threat to the US?

If you don't understand why we should not sell controling intrest of our US taxpayer paid ports after 9/11 then there is not much hope for you. Don't mean to bust on you but damn, since when is it ok to sell any of our infastructure or control of that infastructure to a possible hostile nation.  I know that the Brits ran this before but that was not right either in my view.

We need to start to put the USA first again and stop this wholesale sell out of our Country. I guess money is the root of all evil when you really look at it. Terrorism won't kill us greed will.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:39:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I bet you're dead wrong.  The only people speaking up about this issue that seem to have any common sense are my fellow GIs that have actually *gasp* BEEN to the UAE, and other parts of the middle east.  Keep on ranting and raving about some total BS the mainstream liberal media is spoonfeeding you, and ignore the educated opinions of those that have actually spent time in the UAE, as I have.  The UAE is not some boogeyman "sponsor of terror", they are a pragmatic, westernized nation of business.  Consider them the swizerland of the middle east.  This is not syria or iran we are talking about.  Some common grunt who has never seen anything outside his FOB in Iraq probably doesn't have any basis for comparison either.  Those of us that have actually spent time in Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, and the UAE (off base, living downtown) and not just living in a tent in Kuwait or Iraq may have a better understanding of the politics of moderate Arab nations.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't understand why we should not sell controling intrest of our US taxpayer paid ports after 9/11 then there is not much hope for you. Don't mean to bust on you but damn, since when is it ok to sell any of our infastructure or control of that infastructure to a possible hostile nation.  I know that the Brits ran this before but that was not right either in my view.

We need to start to put the USA first again and stop this wholesale sell out of our Country. I guess money is the root of all evil when you really look at it. Terrorism won't kill us greed will.

I guess you don't understand that the part of the operations involved with this deal are already controlled by a foreign company and the UAE simply aquired THAT company? This is really one of those situations where you can back off, see that democrats are adamant in their opposition and use it as a litmus test to choose the opposite (and correct) course of action. It works every time.

The operation does not involve security. If that is an issue it will still have to be addressed by customs not the port operator.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't understand why we should not sell controling intrest of our US taxpayer paid ports after 9/11 then there is not much hope for you. Don't mean to bust on you but damn, since when is it ok to sell any of our infastructure or control of that infastructure to a possible hostile nation.  

.sniip..

Well, your initial premise is wrong.

1) Controlling interest in US taxpayer paid Ports is NOT being sold. A company (P&O) which currently leases dock space on a bunch of US Ports is being sold. The new company, Dubai Ports World, therefore would take over the lease.

2) The Ports will remain controlled by the local Municipal Port Authorities, who actually run the port.

3) UAE is not a "potentially hostile" nation. They were spying on the Taliban before 9/11/01 for the US (thats why they had diplomatic relations with the Taliban).  They currently host US army, navy, marine, and airforce assets. The largest US navy port outside the continental US, is located in Dubai, and run by DPW.

4) US staff would be the SAME people as P&O had. Thats part of the purchase agreement.

5) The COO of DPW (Dubai Ports World) is an American living in Dubai. The head of  US operations is and American, the US staff is American or British. The longshoremen are Americans.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]
P&O owned the contract to operate the ports.  They still do.
It's just that P&O is now owned by Dubai Ports.

The same friggin people are running the ports.
The same security is in place.
Only the corporate office has changed.

Congratulations, folks.
You've been successfully manipulated by the democratic media.

Oh, and as far as the "Civil War" in Iraq goes...
...as one who was there last week, I could not be happier that the Shia are taking the fight ti the Sunni Mosques from which this war has been waged.
It's about friggin' time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't understand why we should not sell controling intrest of our US taxpayer paid ports after 9/11 then there is not much hope for you. Don't mean to bust on you but damn, since when is it ok to sell any of our infastructure or control of that infastructure to a possible hostile nation.  

.sniip..

1) Controlling interest in US taxpayer paid Ports is NOT being sold. A company (P&O) which currently leases dock space on a bunch of US Ports is being sold. The new company, Dubai Ports World, therefore would take over the lease.

2) The Ports will remain controlled by the local Municipal Port Authorities, who actually run the port.

3) UAE is not a "potentially hostile" nation. They were spying on the Taliban before 9/11/01 for the US (thats why they had diplomatic relations with the Taliban).  They currently host US army, navy, marine, and airforce assets. The largest US navy port outside the continental US, is located in Dubai, and run by DPW.

4) US staff would be the SAME people as P&O had. Thats part of the purchase agreement.

5) The COO of DPW (Dubai Ports World) is an American living in Dubai. The head of  US operations is and American, the US staff is American or British. The longshoremen are Americans.

Like I said, if you see the democrats charging in one direction you can bet your bottom dollar the correct direction is 180 degrees away.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet you're dead wrong.  The only people speaking up about this issue that seem to have any common sense are my fellow GIs that have actually *gasp* BEEN to the UAE, and other parts of the middle east.  Keep on ranting and raving about some total BS the mainstream liberal media is spoonfeeding you, and ignore the educated opinions of those that have actually spent time in the UAE, as I have.  The UAE is not some boogeyman "sponsor of terror", they are a pragmatic, westernized nation of business.  Consider them the swizerland of the middle east.  This is not syria or iran we are talking about.  Some common grunt who has never seen anything outside his FOB in Iraq probably doesn't have any basis for comparison either.  Those of us that have actually spent time in Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, and the UAE (off base, living downtown) and not just living in a tent in Kuwait or Iraq may have a better understanding of the politics of moderate Arab nations.  

It's not that the UAE is a open terrorist nation like Iran or Iraq. Just because they have shopping malls and high class hotels does not make them a frendly nation to us. The point is they help fund along with Saudi a major part of many terror groups that are trying to kill us and out troops.  Since when is World Net Daily a Liberal Media source. For the most part WND is very very pro Bush.

The only reason they let us have bases over there is because we pay millions to them to do it. It's not out of the goodness of their hearts that is for sure.

You sound like you are working for the UAE board of tourism for Gods sake. If you like them so much then move over there. In case you forgot 2 of the 9/11 Hijackers were form the UAE and many others had ties there also.  I was one of your fellow AF GIs. you talk about, and yes I have to say most troops that I know and family members of troops that are over there are very very pissed about this issue.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.sniip..

Like I said, if you see the democrats charging in one direction you can bet your bottom dollar the correct direction is 180 degrees away.

I guess then 90+% of the Country is Liberal Dems then by your thinking . Almost every poll on this issue is showing 70 to 90% of the US people against the deal. Hell, even in our area of very conservitive North Alabama has a poll on Waff 48 and it was 96% against the deal. I have talked to many folks that have removeded their "W" sticker on there car they were so pissed over this issue. This has been the final straw for a lot of  people.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Aren't the majority of people that will be working for the UAE at the ports be americans? I'm pretty sure they will be. Do you also want Toyota, Nissan, Honda and all the other foreign companies employing americans to just leave also?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Aren't the majority of people that will be working for the UAE at the ports be americans? I'm pretty sure they will be. Do you also want Toyota, Nissan, Honda and all the other foreign companies employing americans to just leave also?

The last time I checked Japan and the Toyota, Nissan, Honda companies were not trying to kill us. This is about National Security not business.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.sniip..

I guess then 90+% of the Country is Liberal Dems then by your thinking . Almost every poll on this issue is showing 70 to 90% of the US people against the deal. Hell, even in our area of very conservitive North Alabama has a poll on Waff 48 and it was 96% against the deal. I have talked to many folks that have removeded their "W" sticker on there car they were so pissed over this issue. This has been the final straw for a lot of  people.  

Well if the news outlets would quit telling the public that the security was turned over to the UAE then maybe it wouldn't be 70 to 90 percent against it. It is just a company employing americans to move shipping containers on and off of ships.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The last time I checked Japan and the Toyota, Nissan, Honda companies were not trying to kill us. This is about National Security not business.

Last time i checked the UAE was killing the same bad guys we are. It wasn't that long ago we were at war with Japan, and that hasn't caused the americans in their plants to turn on us and start killing us.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.sniip..

Yep, the dems are getting a lot of traction with this one. They are still wrong. No one said all Bush supporters were smart or well informed.

I admit that my knee-jerk reaction when I first heard of the deal was against it....until I had the facts of the matter. President Bush is no dumb-ass and has the situation well in hand.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Turn off CNN and step away from the Television. The liberal effects will wear off in a couple of days. You have been duped. We are your friends and will help you recover.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No they can't since are war materials at the other end of the line are already being off loaded by this same company.  Its a knee jerk reaction to something that sounds scary but isn't.

+eleventybillion.  I freaked at first to. Now I've calmed down and realized that even if the possibility were there for terrorists to sneak in through the ports, it'd still be easier to slowly walk across the mexican border.

To paraphrase Rush  "I bet this whole deal will cause the UAE to want to attack us, yep, I can see it now, a ship from Dubai comes over and sits there for a week before the democratic longshoremen get to it to unload it and once they open a shipping container, out fly the F-16's that WE EFFING SOLD THEM and they'll attack and kill us all"

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

And that, my friends, is at the heart of it all.  The amount of racism being shown over this issue, in the press, amongst politicians, and even members of this board, is eye-opening.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#26]
One of the 9/11 hijackers was from UAE.

Most of the 9/11 hijackers travelled through UAE.

WMD components have been shipped to Iran, Irag and Korea through UAE run ports.

Funding for the 9/11 hijackers was sent through the UAE banking system.

The UAE government resisted US efforts to track Bin Ladens bank accounts post 9/11.

28% of UAE citizens consider Bin Laden a hero.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Because company owners routinely have access to all areas of the company, including security operations. All it takes is one ROP'r in a possition of power in the company to hand carry anything he wants through any of these ports.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because company owners routinely have access to all areas of the company, including security operations. All it takes is one ROP'r in a possition of power in the company to hand carry anything he wants through any of these ports.

And what is stopping an ROP'er from smuggling a bomb or himself with a bomb onto a ship in any port anywhere in the world that is going to a US port?

The level of paranoia here is amazing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
In perspective.  Every publicly owned stadium has a food concession.  The local government is not however in the business of making or selling food and beverages.  In turn, a company leases the right to sell food and beverages and pays a fee for each item sold to that government that actually owns the stadium and food prep areas.  This is usually done for a period of years until the lease expires.  At that time its up for bids again to determine which relationship is best for the local government.

This is a similar situation.  The rights to inspect the cargo, enforce laws, which ships enter and leave and who is allowed access however do not change and still rest with the government, just as the local authority can sell tickets, or refuse entry into that stadium, or require that people entering do not bring in certain things.

That is really what this is all about.

I suppose ADT tells Bill Gates what he can and cannot carry into Microsoft?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet you're dead wrong.  The only people speaking up about this issue that seem to have any common sense are my fellow GIs that have actually *gasp* BEEN to the UAE, and other parts of the middle east.  Keep on ranting and raving about some total BS the mainstream liberal media is spoonfeeding you, and ignore the educated opinions of those that have actually spent time in the UAE, as I have.  The UAE is not some boogeyman "sponsor of terror", they are a pragmatic, westernized nation of business. Consider them the swizerland of the middle east.  This is not syria or iran we are talking about.  Some common grunt who has never seen anything outside his FOB in Iraq probably doesn't have any basis for comparison either.  Those of us that have actually spent time in Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, and the UAE (off base, living downtown) and not just living in a tent in Kuwait or Iraq may have a better understanding of the politics of moderate Arab nations.  

Didn't Swiss banks hold alot of Nazi money?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Those of us that have actually spent time in Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, and the UAE (off base, living downtown) and not just living in a tent in Kuwait or Iraq may have a better understanding of the politics of moderate Arab nations....."  CB

I've spent time in New York City,  Chicago and Miami-never saw a crime or a bad deed.  Therefore, following your line of thinking, there's no crime in the aforementioned cities because I didn't see it.

Did you have access to UAE bank records while you were there?   Did you inspect all the cargo on all the ships inbound or outbound for Iran or N. Korea?  
Did you see a lot of Christian churches, or liberated women?
Were you there last November, when Bill Clinton gave his anit-Iraq war speech to a standing ovation?

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#32]
What is all this racism bullshit? We dont like them becuase they killed THOUSANDS of Americans on 9/11, they had ties to it. No one gives a fuck what color their skin is. If these people were white we still wouldnt want them here. Even if they are a good company it still looks bad.
  Its like hiring a Japanese company in the U.S. after Pearl Harbor.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And that, my friends, is at the heart of it all.  The amount of racism being shown over this issue, in the press, amongst politicians, and even members of this board, is eye-opening.

It ain't because they'e A-rabs, put the race card back in the deck-it's because they're  government is a theocratic Islamic government.

I'd be just as alarmed if it was supposedly friendly Afgans, or Pakistanis-the operative word here is MUSLIM.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do know that the COO of DPW is an American? And all the US staff are Americans or Brits?  One ROPer showing up on a frieghter is going to run into Customs real quick.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:47:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
One of the 9/11 hijackers was from UAE. Two, they ALL got trained in the U.S.

Most of the 9/11 hijackers travelled through UAE.  Again, thay ALL got trained HERE

WMD components have been shipped to Iran, Irag and Korea through UAE run ports. And the U.S. shipped a lot of them to Iran and  Iraq

Funding for the 9/11 hijackers was sent through the UAE banking system. It was sent through ours too, can you tell as digits fly across a screen what the money will be used for?  Did the strippers that got money from them need to give it back since it was terrorist money?

The UAE government resisted US efforts to track Bin Ladens bank accounts post 9/11. Maybe, but there are UAE special forces hunting his ass with us in Afganistan
28% of UAE citizens consider Bin Laden a hero.Probably %40 of our citizens do.  We all know the libtards do.

So when are you gonna say something that matters?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The UAE government resisted US efforts to track Bin Ladens bank accounts post 9/11.

All the Hijackers travelled through US airports as well. Dubai's port is the major one in the Middle East, everything goes through there. The UAE has a really functional banking system, so its not surprising that funding was sent through their system. Those funds went  through US banks as well. The UAE government has put in all the financial tracking controls that the US has asked for.
72% of UAE citizens, therefore, think Bin Laden isn't a hero.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Since when is being in agreement with the Republican leadership that this needs to be looked into being "spoonfed by the libtard media"?  The only people being spoon fed are the Bush Koolaid drinkers who are all in favor of a deal where no one has all the facts yet.  Who's being spoon fed those who want to look at what's going on or those jumping on the band wagon by repeating what Bush said even though they have few if any facts of what is actually happening?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:56:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Since when is being in agreement with the Republican leadership that this needs to be looked into being "spoonfed by the libtard media"?  The only people being spoon fed are the Bush Koolaid drinkers who are all in favor of a deal where no one has all the facts yet.  Who's being spoon fed those who want to look at what's going on or those jumping on the band wagon by repeating what Bush said even though they have few if any facts of what is actually happening?

FACTS.  The company will only be responsible for fees for docking, loading, unloading and storage of cargo.  It will use those fees to hire AMERICAN workers to do all these tasks.  Security and Customs and inspection will all still be handled by ICE and the USCG.  Those are facts.  I freaked at first to, then I slowed down, grew a brain, and watched the BS fly.  

Here's another fact.  No matter what they do within their power, the ports will NEVER be as open to smuggling or attack as our borders.  PRIORITIES!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FACTS.  The company will only be responsible for fees for docking, loading, unloading and storage of cargo.  It will use those fees to hire AMERICAN workers to do all these tasks.  Security and Customs and inspection will all still be handled by ICE and the USCG.  Those are facts.  I freaked at first to, then I slowed down, grew a brain, and watched the BS fly.  

Here's another fact.  No matter what they do within their power, the ports will NEVER be as open to smuggling or attack as our borders.  PRIORITIES!

Damn, this is the most sense I have read in the whole thread.  My hat is off to you.  That Texas pussy must have done you some good.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, this is the most sense I have read in the whole thread.  My hat is off to you.  That Texas pussy must have done you some good.  

Never got it,  I don't know what the hell the deal is.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I lost comrades when the FIREBOLT was attacked and I work with someone who was on the COLE when it was attacked. Both of us think this is much ado about nothing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
In case you forgot 2 of the 9/11 Hijackers were form the UAE and many others had ties there also.

Two of the Embassy bombers in 1998 were Americans, your point?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

RebelGrey was a member here.  How do I know you are not some ROPer?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen. It is saddening.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All it takes is one sleeper agent to get hired at the port under the current system.

Or they could just load a container and be pretty much guranteed it won't be searched and save 6 billion dollars.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#46]
52% of American debt (federal debt and debt of US companies) is held by foreigners.  They'd really like to spend these dollars on something, and what better than dollar-denominated companies, real estate, etc.

Last summer the Chinese wanted to buy Unocal.  Now the UAE wants to take a position in some American ports.

Untill we get our debt priorities in line, expect this sort of thing more and more.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It ain't because they'e A-rabs, put the race card back in the deck-it's because they're  government is a theocratic Islamic government.

I'd be just as alarmed if it was supposedly friendly Afgans, or Pakistanis-the operative word here is MUSLIM.  

It's not racism, we don't hate arabs.

It's call prejudice, because we are pre-judging based on experience.  Our experience with arabs is that we can not trust enough of them to give any of them control of anything that might endanger American lives or property.  

Before we pre-judged them we taught them how to fly.  Then we got 9/11.  Any questions?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#48]
So at what point did we start trusting Germany and Japan enough to do business with them?

The problem here is you aren't going to get a unconditional surrender from the whole Muslim world to give you a tidy sense of victory.

We have a contry that over the past couple of years since 9-11 have demostrated a willingness to play ball with us on our terms.

We have to move forward and show the other Muslim contries that if they get their house in order they can do business with the rest of us and enjoy the benefits of a free market.

But if we just hold onto the past we would still have a defeated Germany and Japan instead of moving forward with more free markets to trade with.

Plus if you haven't been their and won't listen to a few of us that have...what can be said....learn to live in your fear because that is where you will stay.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
At least California doesn't have to worry.

But there is virtually no chance that a foreign company could play a dominant role in the overall management of the massive ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach that funnel goods through the Inland area on trucks and trains, experts said. Both ports are managed by the cities, not outside companies like Dubai Ports World, the state-controlled United Arab Emirates company at the center of controversy over security at five East Coast and one Gulf Coast ports.

The cities of Long Beach and Los Angeles own the port land and hold it in trust for the state of California, said Art Wong, a spokesman for the Port of Long Beach. Each city manages its overall port complex with a commission that sets policy, and leases its terminals to private shippers that use the property to move cargo in and out of the United States. The shippers work with private companies to load and unload their cargo.

The much smaller Port of San Diego is overseen by a commission with three representatives from the San Diego City Council and the city councils of Chula Vista, Coronado, Imperial Beach and National City.

Sort of the CalTrans of the seas.  P&O, and now the Dubai Company do the items mentioned in red.  There is no overall port management in this deal.

ETA What I can't figure out is what people think the UAE has to gain then by allowing us to use that big old base, Al Dhafra, (and others  www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/uae.htm in their country if what they're really planning is a sneak attack.... a super secret one that even AQ doesn't know about....and BTW, I'll still don't trust Germany and Japan, let alone France, Spain, Britain and Canada.  Russia, out of the question.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top