Posted: 2/24/2006 6:24:55 AM EDT
Racist appointed to Hate Crimes Commision  

Full Text.

Nation of Islam official on board
Named to state commission on bias, hate crimes

By BERNARD SCHOENBURG
POLITICAL WRITER
Published Friday, February 24, 2006

Gov. Rod Blagojevich named to his hate crimes commission a representative of the Nation of Islam, even though its leader, Louis Farrakhan, has been accused of anti-Semitic, anti-white and anti-gay speech.

Sister Claudette Marie Muhammad, chief of protocol for the Nation of Islam, is among appointees to The Governor's Commission on Discrimination and Hate Crimes.

Another member of the commission, Lonnie Nasatir, Midwest regional director of the Anti-Defamation League, said having a representative of the Nation of Islam on the commission raises eyebrows. The ADL has Farrakhan quotations on its Web site, www.ADL.org, under the heading "extremism."

"I'm not judging her," Nasatir said Thursday. "All I can judge is the institution from which she is being sent. That's a cause for concern, I think, on a commission to eradicate hate and discrimination."

Cheryle Jackson, the governor's deputy chief of staff for communication, said the appointment in August of Muhammad to the unpaid position stands.

"The governor appointed people ... who share the goal of the commission: to eliminate hate crimes and discrimination wherever it exists," Jackson said. "These people represent many different communities: black and white, gay and lesbian, Jewish and Islamic. In order for the commission to truly achieve its mission, it must be inclusive, not exclusive, and respectfully and constructively bring together people of different backgrounds and voices to solve our differences."

Nasatir said the ADL, which is designed to fight anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry and racism, led the movement to get states to enact legislation to combat hate crimes. He said Muhammad invited him and other members of the commission to Farrakhan's Saviours' Day 2006 speech, which will be on Sunday at the United Center in Chicago.

Saying that at such events in past years Farrakhan has "spewed out some of his hateful rhetoric," Nasatir said he didn't think the invitation was worthy of a response.

But another commission member, Rick Garcia, public policy director of Equality Illinois, a statewide gay civil rights organization, said he plans to attend the speech.

"I know that he has said things in the past that have been offensive to some groups of people - gays, in particular to Jews," said Garcia, who is Roman Catholic and lives in Chicago. "But I think that the invitation from the Nation of Islam to Jews and to gays may be a step in the right direction. I took it as such."

He said Farrakhan had invited gay people to participate in a recent march on Washington.

"Minister Farrakhan may be softening his harshness toward Jews and gays," Garcia said. "The proof is in the pudding. If I'm sitting there and there's a tirade against Jews or against gays or against Mexicans or against anybody, then I'll have a completely different opinion."

Garcia also said that he has gotten along "beautifully" with Muhammad.

"I have to say that Sister Muhammad has expressed the very best of what this commission is about," Garcia said, citing her admonition that "Jews and Muslims, gays and everybody ... have to learn how to work with one another and respect one another."

According to the ADL, it was at last year's Saviours' Day speech that Farrakhan linked Jews and the slave trade.

"Listen, Jewish people don't have no hands that are free of the blood of us," Farrakhan said at the Feb. 27 speech. "They owned slave ships, they bought and sold us. They raped and robbed us."

Two years earlier at the Chicago speech, he discussed homosexuality, according to the ADL, saying, "All of a sudden in the night clubs, they started having transvestite shows, drag queens. ... Scripture say no liar, no adulterer, no effeminate will get in the kingdom."

The ADL also quotes Farrakhan statements about Hurricane Katrina, which led to flooding in New Orleans after a levee ruptured.

"I heard from a very reliable source that under that levee there was a 25-foot hole, which suggested that it may have been blown up, so that the water would destroy the black part of town, and where the whites lived, it would be dry," Farrakhan said at a shelter for Katrina victims in Charlotte, N.C., on Sept. 12.

"FEMA (the Federal Emergency Management Agency) is too white to represent us, and so is the Red Cross," he said in Houston on Sept. 9.

An Associated Press story from Feb. 28, 1994, quotes Farrakhan as saying that God created whites for a special, evil purpose.

"Your history is written in the blood of the human family," he said of whites. "It comes out of you like a web comes out of a spider."

According to that story, Farrakhan at the time ridiculed the notion that he is racist or anti-Semitic but told thousands of his followers that Caucasians, Jews and Roman Catholics have a long history of oppressing blacks.

Farrakhan has led a series of popular national events, including the Million Man March, in 1995. It was billed as a day of reconciliation and atonement.

Muhammad could not be reached, and a man at the Nation of Islam Center in Chicago late Thursday referred a call to the office of The Final Call, the newspaper of the Nation of Islam. The newspaper offices were closed Thursday evening.

The state's hate crimes commission has 26 members, including Attorney General Lisa Madigan; state Sen. Carol Ronen, D-Chicago; and state Reps. Robin Kelly, D-Matteson, and Larry McKeon, D-Chicago. It is chaired by the Rev. Willie Barrow, a member of the Rainbow/PUSH coalition board. Although there was a similar commission in the past, Blagojevich formed the current one with an executive order issued Aug. 29.

Bernard Schoenburg can be reached at 788-1540 or [email protected].

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Racism is only objectionable when SOME people express it apparently.....

Like I have said many times, there is nothing in the world as entertaining as watching two pillars of political correctness collide.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Chicago will be chocolate again.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate Illinois Nazis.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:36:44 AM EDT
[#4]
It's only racist or hatred if they hate the "protected" group.  Lots of room for hatred of straight, white, Christian males.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget this is the same guy who saw Jesus on a SPACESHIP!!!! The only thing he needs to be appointed to is a padded cell.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#6]
maybe they hired him on his experience with racism and hate since he seems to be able to point it out of others so well.

I like the part about 'God created the white man for a special evil purpose'. I guess that means that I really am special to God, because I was created with a purpose in mind, and that makes me feel wanted

Also, since FEMA and the Red Cross are 'Too white' to help the cause, does this mean they can be more selective of who they help or give aid to since they aren't fir to represent/help the oppressed and discriminated people?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Somehow this simply does not surprise me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:56:30 AM EDT
[#8]
There are liberals in California reading this and going "WTF?".
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I hope Blowjobavich will only be a one time governor, I really dislike him, he such a liberal Shitcago POS. This other person I really don't give a rats @ss about, she has no real power. However, the notion of a hate crime is completely retarded. If you go and kill someone without legal reason, than I am pretty sure you hate them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#10]
this is like when in 1998/99, Virginia govt appointed a task force to look into gender bias in the courts.  Then they appointed women to fill 2/3ds of the seats on the task force.

At EVERY ONE of the 6 meetings the task force held at various locations around the state, the vast majority of the speakers were fathers telling the task force how the judges in Virginia were biased against fathers in custody and visitation battles, giving concrete examples of comments and decisions.

Guess what:  the 2/3-female task force found no bias against fathers.  Go fucking figure.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm ashamed to say I live in Illinois......  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#12]
After Cuba was nominated by the United Nations as an advocate for human rights, this is not suprising.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Murder is murder, battery is battery, assault is assault.  "Hate Crime"is a B.S. made up nonsensical term by those with a cause.  Motivation (or perceived motivation) should not play into the prosecution of a crime, only the crime itself.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Feb 24, 10:47 AM (ET)

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Gov. Rod Blagojevich wasn't in on the joke. Blagojevich says he didn't realize "The Daily Show" was a comedy spoof of the news when he sat down for an interview that ended up poking fun at the sometimes-puzzled Democratic governor.  

"It was going to be an interview on contraceptives ... that's all I knew about it," Blagojevich laughingly told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch in a story for Thursday's editions. "I had no idea I was going to be asked if I was 'the gay governor.'"

The interview focused on his executive order requiring pharmacies to fill prescriptions for emergency birth control.

Interviewer Jason Jones pretended to stumble over Blagojevich's name before calling him "Governor Smith." He urged Blagojevich to explain the contraception issue by playing the role of "a hot 17-year-old" and later asked if he was "the gay governor."

At one point in the interview, a startled Blagojevich looked to someone off camera and said, "Is he teasing me, or is that legit?"

The segment, which aired two weeks ago, also featured Illinois Republican Rep. Ron Stephens, a pharmacist who opposes the governor's rule. Stephens has said he knew the show was a comedy.

"I thought the governor was hip enough that he would have known that, too," Stephens said.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#15]

I finally got to use this picture
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#16]

God created whites for a special, evil purpose.

So following this logic to its conclusion, God has a capacity for evil, and goes about commiting evil acts?

I wish I was so wise that I could speak for God.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Get this straight, guys:

Blacks African Americans cannot be racists.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top