Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 8:05:44 PM EDT
On some punk in Seattle. It was stolen from my home in North Carolina three years ago and it's theft was the preciptating event that lead to the burglar alarm from hell.

The pistol is a Series 70 Gold cup .45 that I had for YEARS. I thought it was gone Gone GONE. Anyway the guy who had it claimed he had traded for it on the street and had no idea how it wound up in Seattle. He is now facing felony charges for possesion of a stolen firearm. The Cops told me that it is EXTEMELY rare to get a stolen firearm back. Usually if they get used in the commision of a crime they are destroyed. Or at least that is what the CSI guys told me. Aparantly this one just hitched it's way across country. Glad it's back and it is off to Dawson Monday for some work.

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
one of my professors that is a judge here in Raleigh had the same pistol stolen twice now and its been in the evidence room now for a few months.  he says hes gonna sale it when he gets it back to be rid of it:)  (its some crappy revolver btw)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#2]
An acquaintance had his gun stolen from a shop while on consignment.  It was recovered and returned to him 10 years later when the police found it during a drug raid.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#3]
My dad had a 6hp outboard motor stollen from MD and it was found and returned from FL 2 years later.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Some states (like Washington) have laws that make the Police hold onto guns that are confiscated, that's why you got it back.  If it had been found in MD it would have been melted down and you never would have heard about it.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#6]
When I turned 18, I bought my first pistol through a private transaction.  It's a Ruger Mark I .22LR with a bull barrel that can drive tacks and makes an excellent training gun for new shooters, especially women.

It was stolen from the previous owner about 12 years prior to me buying it.  He went on a hunting trip in Michigan (where I live and bought the gun) with some friends and took an RV with them.  When they went out hunting for the day, somebody (or a group of somebodies) broke into the RV and stole a bunch of guns, including the .22 they had brought along for "plinking."

Well, over a decade later, it resurfaced in Florida when some bum tried to sell it to a pawn shop.  It was returned to the owner in Michigan, and I bought it off him a short time later.

-James
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#7]
when i worked for an agency in DC we had a couple M-4 carbines and M-9 handguns stolen from the secure freight room that were being shipped back from overseas location.  Guy in mail room they arrested said he took them and got scared and dumped them in dipsy-dumpster but did not come back after work to collect them even though someone with a vehicle like his pulled up to the bin and then left after dark....LOL.
I know as the armory officer and training guy...had to file the report and have it listed with INTERPOL.  Never got word if they were recovered or not...

I just know if it was a soldier, airman, sailor or Marine that did that crap they would have been court martialed....but since another organization outside of military did the shipping and handling it was brushed under the rug.  

I always just hoped they were never used in a crime where someone was killed.......could care less about the money lost as they reimbursed myorganization so we could buy replacements from Colt and through depot....but if some punk has them in downtown DC and shoots someone that would be terrible.  Hopefully, that punk would have a failure to feed and get hosed down first....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#8]
My brother had a S&W 629 classic stolen out of his truck in eastern TN.   It turned up like 2 years later in TX when the cops raided a house and found a buch of illegals.    It took about 2-3 years more and lots of hounding but the local BATFE office returned the gun minus the front sight.    He got it back about 1 year ago.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
when i worked for an agency in DC we had a couple M-4 carbines and M-9 handguns stolen from the secure freight room that were being shipped back from overseas location.  Guy in mail room they arrested said he took them and got scared and dumped them in dipsy-dumpster but did not come back after work to collect them even though someone with a vehicle like his pulled up to the bin and then left after dark....LOL.
I know as the armory officer and training guy...had to file the report and have it listed with INTERPOL.  Never got word if they were recovered or not...

I just know if it was a soldier, airman, sailor or Marine that did that crap they would have been court martialed....but since another organization outside of military did the shipping and handling it was brushed under the rug.  

Not to mention the entire unit being locked down, held in isolation, and under MP guard until the weapons were located. Also not to mention the severe "accidents" that alays seem to befall individuals responsible for this kind of thing. Never have been able to figure out why bad things always happen to these people shortly after these things happen... oh well
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top