Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 8:55:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 8:58:23 AM EDT by memyselfandi]
How many here have kept up with it, or are even halfway interested? Here recently I came across an article and decided to update myself on all the goings and comings of the X Prize association. I'm very impressed. Virgin is now going to build a "spaceport" in New Mexico under a new company Virgin Galactic and the winner of the first x-prize has started a new company to build ships like SpaceShipOne (the first one that won the prize) and begin taking people into the upper atmo.

Makes me want to design and build my own! I mean the tech is here now.

It took them only $30mil to design, test, and build from scratch 2 whole craft together. Thats incredibly cheap in relative terms, and yet the big 3 sell their aircraft seperately at that price.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:01:21 AM EDT
The "new" company is really just Scaled Composites building the planes, and Virgin providing the money.

And alot of impossible things are easier to do when you have a genious at the helm.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:04:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
The "new" company is really just Scaled Composites building the planes, and Virgin providing the money.

And alot of impossible things are easier to do when you have a genious at the helm.

Aint it? The other 14 companies that registered to compete had almost nothing to show yet this guy and TierOne (sub company of Scaled) did it right and successfully in 1 attempt. 1 Test flight, 1 design flaw fixed, 2 more successful suborbits in 2 weeks time. Incredible.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:34:39 AM EDT
I was at Airventure Oshkosh this year and saw Burt Rutan, Mike Melville, Brian Binney, Paul Allen, and Richard Branson discuss "The Space Ship Company" and the whole prospects of commercial suborbital flight. It was a great presentation and very informative. Rutan and Bronson are going to be the first to ride Space Ship Two in it's maiden flight, with the remainder of the available flights being booked for the next few years. Hundreds of flights. All of those people paid $200K for their spot, so a lot of the funding comes from those "investments" as Bronson called them.

I have to say, seeing White Knight fly into Whittman Regional with Space Ship One slung underneath was just plain cool. Awe-inspiring. I have some great pics.

The Space Ship Company (TSSC) is a separate venture from Scaled; whereas Scaled is going to design the larger Space Ship Two and it's mothership, TSSC is going to be dedicated solely to building them. From what I remember, Scaled and TSSC are going to be in different facilities at Mojave. Technically it is under the same management, but they are seperate companies with seperate missions.

By the way, for the space ship projects, Scaled, Virgin Galactic, and TSSC are going to be hiring like crazy; according to Rutan at Oshkosh, they are looking for anyone from engineers to custodians.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:13:06 PM EDT
I would love to be involved, but the only thing I would slightly good at is marketing and advertisement. I did actually email the X Prize Foundation about it because they are looking for mostly voluntary work. Ive got a great idea for a comical commercial and it includes, yep you guessed it, a space shuttle door gunner.....no lie
Top Top