Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 8:45:38 AM EDT
Are the bodies of construction workers permanently intered into the concrete pilings of bridges and other structures? Supposedly these people accidently fell in when the concrete was poured.
Once, I heard a rumor of plaques with the names of the dead workers...

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
yep, like the golden gate bridge...

and I bet there were others besides workers that were put in places like that too..
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Great Wall of china.
Jimmy Hoffa
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Only when the body is unrecoverable like stuck in a cassion that flooded during a pour.  But today, there would be too much of an outcry and OSHA would have a field day.

But concrete is over twice as dense as water and people do NOT sink in concrete.  They float quite well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
No, not true

A body in the concrete would decompose and create a void in the structure, thus leading to collapse.

One of the most famous places where bodies are supposedly entombed is the Hoover Dam.  The only problem is that concrete was poured at most 6" at a time, so someone would have to be a pretty slow mover to be entombed in it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw a show on the Histroy channel about the biulding of hoover Dam.
One of the old gents that worked on it said that many men died, but there
is no way in hell they would have left them in the concrete pour.

It would weaken the concrete.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#6]
but it says so in the song...  

I was a dam builder across the river deep and wide;
Where steel and water did collide.
A place called Boulder on the wild Colorado,
I slipped and fell into the wet concrete below.
They buried me in that great tomb that knows no sound:
But I am still around.
I'll always be around,.
And around and around and around and around.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Only when the body is unrecoverable like stuck in a cassion that flooded during a pour.  But today, there would be too much of an outcry and OSHA would have a field day.

But concrete is over twice as dense as water and people do NOT sink in concrete.  They float quite well.

i bet theyd sink in a bit if they fell from a few stories and noone noticed while they kept pouring.

you betcha that there has been foul play involved and people in are concrete.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Did a search for concrete on Snopes...doubtfull

www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/hoover.htm

These workers were entombed in an earthen dam though:
www.fortpeckdam.com/historypages/?p=13

Have heard the stories more than a few times though over the years. Always thought it could be a posibility...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top