Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 4:00:43 AM EDT
Yesterday I found this pristine condition car for a unbelievabe price and need some help. There's a few things that raise some red flags though, for starters besides the price the auction started off with no buy it now option buy the seller put in item description buy now for $5500 if I email him directly, witch I did yesterday and the auction was remover from ebay. The seller emailed me  this back:

"The transaction will be done through Ebay for our own protection, no money first to me. I am registered with their secure trader department and they will handle the trade. Your funds will be 100% insured by Ebay until you will receive and inspect the item, and I will be sure that I will receive the payment.
You will have 15 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not."

He also told me he would cover shipping from Toronto, Canada. As far as the Canada thing goes the car is still registered in the US and was made for the US market as well as US specs on it. The buyer also tells me he is the original owner and the title is clear. I asked one of my buddies last night what he thought of it, needless to say he was pretty amazed but did point out that it did look a little shady from the lack of a VIN number in the auction listing, witch I asked the seller about and he hasn't gotten back with me on that yet. Anyway I need to give this guy a answer pretty fast so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:03:33 AM EDT
[#1]
BE CAREFUL!!

This smells like a possible scam.

Read up on Ebay's policies.

I don't see how "Ebay will handle it".   Ebay doesn't handle payments, Paypal does

Be especially wary if he offers a 3rd party company to hold the money until you inspect the product - that's a scam - product never comes
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
If its too good to be true, it probrobly is.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:14:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought my '98 SHO on Ebay and the reason why was because the car was located a couple of hours away from me. When I arrived to inspect the car, the seller did not pressure me at all and he gave me the option of backing out of the deal if I wanted to. He was totally upfront with me as to the car's history and condition and provided the VIN in the auction itself.

In your case though with no VIN, the car looks to be either stolen or salvaged but something is definitely is fishy and I would proceed with caution. And I also recall a recent article where a 1969 Corvette was returned to it's rightful owner after being stolen more than 35 years ago so take that into consideration too. Even if you do magically find the VIN and register the car, there are no guarantees that the car won't be taken from you if it is indeed stolen.

I also agree with the other's that he could just be scamming you for the money too and hoping the distance between you and him will be to his advantage.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#4]
this don't look good to me.  
but then you can fill a book with the things you don't see in the pics on e-bay.
a guy down the road was selling a car on e-bay and when i looked at it the thing
was trashed.  the pics didn't show how bad it was.  
no VIN?  i would walk away.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Taged to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:44:14 AM EDT
[#6]
What about ebay's Vehicle Protection insurance, wouldn't that cover my cost if it was a fraud? I just asked a second time about the vin number, I'll see what he says. Also told him I needed a couple day to think about it. If I had the VIN number could I do a search on it to tell me if the car was stolen or not? Got to go back to work now but I'll be back latter, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:46:03 AM EDT
[#7]
To be covered by ebay the auction/sale must be through ebay.

Sounds right moody to me

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:46:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Scam. Smells very fishy to me. I don't like to buy anything sight unseen anymore.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#9]
When the auction was pulled from ebay so that you could handle the transaction offline, you lost all protection by ebay.  They will only protect you if the sale is totally handled through the ebay interface.

I would walk from this or have him relist it and use the buy it now option.  

If he refuses, consider contacting ebay and report him.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't do it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:43:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Buy it thru Ebay, but don't send any money until you go get the car.  I learned this the hard way last summer, trust me.  If the car isn't what he says it is when you go get it, just turn around and walk away..........what's he gonna do, leave negative feedback?  Big deal.  

He who controls the money controls the deal.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:50:14 AM EDT
[#12]
No VIN = no sale.  If you're really keen oh it, bestfares.com shows airfare from Atlanta to Toronto for less than $400 round-trip.  It may be worth it to lay hands on the car yourself.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Anybody remember that 50 page post a few years back about the guy who bought the fucked up "PRISTINE" BMW in Fla off of Ebay...

I would never buy a car on line unless--------------

---I could inspect it first

---Have someone I know inspect it first

---Have one of the "in the know" ARFcom Crew inspect it first

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:16:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I've never heard of Ebay having a "secure trader department"
I'd skip out on the deal, sounds too fishy for the amount of money involved.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:16:51 AM EDT
[#15]
STANDARD SCAM ROUTINE!!

walk away or INSIST on a face to face deal. Ebay doesn't handle deals like that when the auction has been removed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I would really worry about the car being in Canada.  Seems like there was a scam a while ago to bring cars up there to clean their titles.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#17]
"Yesterday I found this pristine condition car for a unbelievabe price"

LOL.  That's all I needed to hear.    
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#18]
run, forrest, run!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Hell pay shipping? that can be as much as 2000 coming from Canada, This deal smells funny, in the words from the "holy Grail" Run Away!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#21]
SCAM !
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#22]
The scammers greatest assett / tool is the greed and spontanaeity ( sp ? ) of the prospective purchaser to impulse buy thinking he is getting a once in a lifetime deal.

If it's such a 'smokin deal' don't you think the friends or aquantainces of this seller up in Canada would jump on the deal ?

Proceed w/ CAUTION. I smell a rat on this one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#23]
oh so tagged
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#24]
The seller just emailed me back:

"During the past few moths we`ve tried to develop a family business down here in Canada but unfortunately the things didn't work the way we`ve expected and now i really need cash because i am at one step from losing my market , so i`ve decided to sell the car and for this reason I sell my car very cheap.
Serial Number 9F02S212275
Milage: 14540
The car is the best condition run very good , the price for this car is 5500USD included shipping taxes.
PLEASE REPLY ASAP WITH:
- YOUR NAME,
- SHIPPING ADDRESS
- AND USER ID, IN YOUR NEXT EMAIL.

I will contact eBay and let them know
that you want to buy and i want to sell it to you. And
they will mail you a notification and inform you with
all necesar information about the transaction.
Let me know if this is ok with you,so that we can move
forward with this deal!
Regards,"

Where is he getting this serial number from? I thought VIN numbers were 17 characters. I'm sure all of you guys are right but I'm going to see just how much bullshit this seller can put out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Haha.  SCAM!!!  Let me guess, the auction also had a "do not email me through Ebay. . .for fastest response contact me at [email protected]?"  For our humor, what is the year, mileage, model, and make of the car in question?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#26]
It was a 69 mustang and he says the mileage is 14540. Actually the more I look at ebay the more I see this type of thing especially on older mustangs
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Have you ever received an email that looks as if it is from Ebay needing you to update your info? The link you click on says Ebay, but the actual url points to a different site that includes the word ebay, but goes to another address.
I bet if you reply the email you get from "Ebay" will be the same trick.
VIN numbers are 17 characters, letters and numbers. No car has a serial number.
This guy's grammer and spelling sounds like he was educated in Nigeria. Either pass or mess with his head.
Jim
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Go see OC .
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Check THIS auction for a '67 Mustang. The seller says to not bid until you contact him first. If you bid without contacting his yahoo email account he will remove the bid. He's in Montreal.
HERE is a '69 Mustang that must belong to a friend.

Another cheap Pony, and he can't be reached through Ebay.

Another seller with problems with ebay email.

What's up with Canada? They are loaded with Mustangs, hot Mustangs.
Jim
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Want a Pony? Check this 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 for $6,000.00.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:11:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Sounds Nigerian. The Hammer Of The Gods Will Smite Thee if you back out.

If you do ANYTHING run it thru CarFax at least. And be prepared to lose everything. If you can afford to lose the money, go for it. EXPECT to lose it.

Oh, I have a Superbird Hemi that I will take $6995 USD for. 800 miles. Used to be owned by Richard Petty.

Run Forrest, RUN!!!!

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Wanta a Pony? Check this 970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 for $6,000.00.

Jim

Wow...!

That's a really good price for a BOSS 429. Does DKProf know about this...?!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top