Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 10:48:55 PM EDT
12:30AM tuesday night wensday morning

Well my outside dogs(sort of like gaurd dogs, that bark if theres something not right) started going nuts,  Barking, growling, trying to break their runs.  So i walk out on the porch, and listen, and i hear a dog barking that ive never herd before down in my moms livestock pasture.  So i grab the AR and my maglight.  About 6 year old, foot long one.  Well i figured out i need something with a little more light, and that isnt as dim as that old pos, granted its been thru alot.
Fast forward
I get into the pasture and all of the sudden i hear really fast foot steps coming at me, i shine the light near where the noise was coming from and i see one of my moms llamas runnin toword me and sudden veers to my right, and a big ass dog behind it.  St. bernard type.  Now i know neighboring farms have had animals coming up dead within the last 2 weeks, some sort of big dog everyone said.  So i yell HEY, to try to get it to stop so i can broadside it, and it stops.  By this time my heart is racing 1000 miles an hour.  It started to growl and started walking towords me.  I shoulder my bushy patrolmans carbine, and double tap the dog.  to give some hind sight, i suck at double tapping, so one bullet hits the shoulder of it.  Now its running at me.  I start thinking im fucked.  So i fire about 5 more rounds(no clue how many i really fired, didnt know how many rnds were in the 30rnd mag) and finally the dog hits the ground.  

Turned out to be some sort of st bernard/collie mix.  ratty collar, no tags.  

lesson learned, I NEED A WEAPON LIGHT  I was holding the mag light in my left hand like a cop holds a flashlight under his gun, which let to my horrible shots.  

To show how i was holding and shooting:  put your left arm out, and bend at elbow 90 degrees, towords sky, rotate arm 90 degrees right till you whave an L shaped arm right in front of you, and that how i was holding the flash light and resting my rifle on my arm.

Im looking for a light for my bushy patrolmans carbine.  Something bright but in the $100-$150 range, maybe go up to $200

Anyone else ever have any situations where they should have had a better light?

Do not wanna hear it from the speeling and graamer nazis, im tired
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You did what you had to. It's not supposed to feel good. Your man card has been updated.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the weaponlight section in the AR section... lots of info there and you'll find your answer.  

As a general rule, make sure you get a light that will put out atleast 1 lumen per yard that you plan to engage a threat at. Personally, on guns that go outside I run a 9 volt system which puts out about 125 lumens on light.

Also, once you get the light, make sure you learn how to use it. There is a bit more to it than simply turning th elight on and firing.  Anddddddddddd, learn how to accurately fire a rifle using a handheld light.  You've already been in the situation once where your unfamiliarity with it bit you in the ass (well almost   ).  Address it with proper training so you are better prepared next time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You did what you had to. It's not supposed to feel good. Your man card has been updated.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
You killed CUJO!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Mount it and eat the meat!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#6]
i think the fucker had rabies, so i grabbed an old plastic sled, some rubber gloves, and my 400ex.  Drug him out to an old burn pile and torched him.  Yes that might have been the wrong thing to do, but i dont want any other animals contracting rabies.  after burning it, dug a 3 foot deep hole, and sholved the remains into the hole and covered it up.
shoulda herd the message i got from my mom over the 2 way radio after the shooting was done
"what the fuck was all that shooting, are you ok?
but i did use the 3 s' SSS shoot, shovel, shutup

so whats a good weapon light for $100-$200

ETA: i have a 98 acre farm, this is why i disposed of him how i did, i have 40+ animals in 3 different pastures, and wild dogs all over the place thru the country side.  

Any wild animal that resembles a rabid animal is dead in my eyes
SBSS
shoot burn shovel shut up
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i think the dog was a seahawks fan, maybe it was your dog rabbit, looking for some revenge
just kiddin man
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I know it probably isn't the best option...but you could always get the Surefire X200 and mount that sucker to your bushy...however you don't have a rail so I don't know how you're going to do that.  I'm sure there is a way.  I'm just ignorant on the how to.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:33:21 AM EDT
[#9]
The recommendation for the X200 and a $10-20 rail is good.  I used a X200 on my duty pistol.  I am recommending to some of the officers (who want maximum bang for very little buck) to buy a Surefire G2 Nitrolon ($34 w/6 batteries), a rail ($10-20), and a 1" scope ring ($5-10).  This is a nice cheap set up.  The next step would be to check out some of the ads here for a Surefire 9xx series light (atleast $200).  Worst case by the G2 to check it out for your self.  It is better than the mag-lite.  You may want a second one anyway to replace that mag-lite.  

Mike

PS most of the early surefire lights were the 6P with a tape switch, a 1" scope ring, and some sort of mount depending on weapon.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:44:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Go around to the neighboring farms and take up a collection. They owe you for your good deed.

rj
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The recommendation for the X200 and a $10-20 rail is good.

LED lights don't have the "reach" of Xenon lights

I'd look at a xenon model
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:12:20 AM EDT
[#13]
GG&G makes a picitinny mount that bolts to your forarm on an typical AR. M3 light attaches to that. It is made for it.

Mount = $20
M3 Light = $130  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:16:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#15]
What kind of ammo did you use?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:19:24 AM EDT
[#16]
You would have dropped him on the first shot had you been using the proper gun. This would be a .45 ACP carbine or a .308!

On a serious note get a Surefire light and mount.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Good job protecting Tina the Llama!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:27:26 AM EDT
[#18]
This thread is useless without pics!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Good shooting.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:42:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey-

If you have a farm, can't you buy the light as a farm expense and write it off on your taxes?

Good job, glad you are safe.

My wife grew up on a farm, and remembers being forbidden to play in the "back forty" alone as a small child because of wild dogs. Occasionally, the farmers would get together and hunt down feral dogs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#21]
City folks drop off the dogs and just figure they will take care of themselves.  It causes a bunch of problems.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hey-

If you have a farm, can't you buy the light as a farm expense and write it off on your taxes?

Damn good idea. Hell, talk to an accountant, you may be able to write of at least part of a gun that you require for 'security' on the farm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top