OMG, the US just hogged a rock!

is that good or bad?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OMG, the US just hogged a rock!

is that good or bad?

It's almost unheard of at this level of curling. I've never seen it and it wasnt good. Canada is up one in the ninth and they have the hammer.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
can you explain curling for me?  I never could figure it out.  Is it on the networks or do you have to have cable?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you translate please?

My printer is an A+1 Curler (?) and is in New Jersey helping out with background info for the TV networks in curling.  That said I don't know squat.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The American's need a miracle. If they had the hammer it might be recoverable....but that last stone makes or breaks the tenth end.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The American's need a miracle. If they had the hammer it might be recoverable....but that last stone makes or breaks the tenth end.

Canada is going to score five here. It's all over, Canada goes to the gold medal game, US to the bronze medal game.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, but what's really important? We have the cutest curling babes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#8]
What channel? And what is the situation you just described? Whats never been done before? DId a fight break out?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah, but what's really important? We have the cutest curling babes.

You should have watched in the days when all the chicks curled in kilts!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#10]
From what I understand it, is you have stones and you have a target.  The stones are directed towards the target.  There are two team members sweeping the stones towards the target and you have to get your stones closer to your opponent's stones.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Only in Minnesota can you throw rocks on ice and make a game of it....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#12]
SSWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP Damnit ! SSWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP !!!!!!!!

Ahh, crap.

I'm goin' back to Lacrosse  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
From what I understand it, is you have stones and you have a target.  The stones are directed towards the target.  There are two team members sweeping the stones towards the target and you have to get your stones closer to your opponent's stones.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Here ya go Deej, I posted this in another thread:

The house is all the rings, the button is the center. The circles are 4', 8' and 12'. The line down the middle is the centerline. The first line across is the hog line, the back line is the back line and the place you shoot from is called the hack.
All rocks, or stones must pass the hog line to come into play and if it passes the back line its out of play. It cannot touch the sides or its out and a player may not touch a rock or its out. (burning a rock)

The team with rock closest to the button is the only team that can score, it is called shot rock. They only score with rocks closer than all the other teams rocks. eg: Team A has one dead center, shot rock. Team B has a rock in the 4' circle and Team A has five in the 8' circle. Only the rock on the button will score. If Team B's rock was missing, Team A would score six.

The rocks weigh 40lbs and thrown with an "in turn" or "out turn" of about three revolutions for the length of the ice. This makes the rock "curl" much like a curve ball curves only slower.

Sweeping the rock makes it go farther and curl less.

Strategy:

The first four rocks must remain in play and are used as "guards". A good guard is up between the hog line and the house, somewhere close to center. After the four guards are up, you try to curl rocks in behind them where it's harder to knock them out, a "takeout".

Last shot is obviously an advantage, it is called "hammer". Flip a coin for first shot and you lose the hammer if you score a point. That's why sometimes you will see a team intentionally NOT score when they have the hammer.

Each round is called an "end" and ten ends make a game.

Main types of shots: Guard, draw, raise, freeze and takeout. A draw is a shot for position a raise is a carom, freeze touches and sticks to rock, guard sits up front and takeout removes a stone.

Weight is how hard you throw the rock. Guard weight, draw weight, takeout weight, line weight and hack weight are terms you'll hear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top