Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 3:12:14 PM EDT
So I'm on my way to work yesterday down IH 35 at about 70 mph when I notice my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Q-cab 6.0 Cummins Diesel sputter then die.  I manage to pull it off to the side of the road and she'll crank but won't start.  It was like I was out of fuel but still had about half a tank.  I have 31k miles on it.

So, long story short, I call Dodge and they send out a wrecker, which took a while.  It goes to the closest Dodge dealer.  Once there they refuse to give me a rent car.  The "service consultant" says they have no provisions for giving me a car even though I am covered under warranty.  She then in the same sentence tells me to go to Enterprise rental car which is inside of the dealership.  They refuse to pay for the cost of my rental and it has been two days now and it is just now getting looked at.

I just can't believe that they won't give me something to drive (that I don't have to pay for) or pay for the cost of the rental car.  I could understand if it was out of warranty, but it's not.  I called the dealer again today and expressed my displeasure in the service.  She [ the service advisor] said that if I would have bought my car from a fancy dealership (e.g. BMW, Mercedes) that the cost of a rental is built into the purchase price.  BULLSHIT!!  So this 40k truck is different than a 35k BMW?!

Oh well, just needed to rant.  I am getting a up close and personal expierence of Dodge's customer service policy - and i'm not impressed!  

Nick
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTDH
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IBTDH

So true!  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I could have told you dodge sucks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I'm going to have to rethink buying the viper this year...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone else know if other car manufactur's are like this?

Chevy? Ford?

My wife drives a Honda and she gets a rent car when / if they have to do something to the car.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I guess I'm going to have to rethink buying the viper this year...

why? because you heard of one guys dodge that broke down?

hey, my 99 powerstroke lost an injector and burned through all 8 glow plugs, not to mention the other numurous (sp?) problems it has had.

haha, now you can't buy a ford!!! haha
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So I'm on my way to work yesterday down IH 35 at about 70 mph when I notice my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Q-cab 6.0 Cummins Diesel sputter then die.  I manage to pull it off to the side of the road and she'll crank but won't start.  It was like I was out of fuel but still had about half a tank.  I have 31k miles on it.

So, long story short, I call Dodge and they send out a wrecker, which took a while.  It goes to the closest Dodge dealer.  Once there they refuse to give me a rent car.  The "service consultant" says they have no provisions for giving me a car even though I am covered under warranty.  She then in the same sentence tells me to go to Enterprise rental car which is inside of the dealership.  They refuse to pay for the cost of my rental and it has been two days now and it is just now getting looked at.

I just can't believe that they won't give me something to drive (that I don't have to pay for) or pay for the cost of the rental car.  I could understand if it was out of warranty, but it's not.  I called the dealer again today and expressed my displeasure in the service.  She [ the service advisor] said that if I would have bought my car from a fancy dealership (e.g. BMW, Mercedes) that the cost of a rental is built into the purchase price.  BULLSHIT!!  So this 40k truck is different than a 35k BMW?!

Oh well, just needed to rant.  I am getting a up close and personal expierence of Dodge's customer service policy - and i'm not impressed!  

Nick

How do you like that 6.0?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#8]
So long as it's covered under Chrysler's warranty, Chrysler should reimburse the rental car once your truck has been in the service department for more than 24 hours.  Call the Chrysler customer care line, and they should be able to figure it out for you.  It'll help if you have your VIN handy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Funny, my Dodge dealership always had a rental car ready for me and my 99 Dakota R/T when it broke down.  Which was often...

Maybe you should call around for other dealerships

EPOCH

ETA: also, only go to 5-star dealerships.  I'm lucky that I have a couple within an hour's drive of me.  They both understand what customer service means.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So long as it's covered under Chrysler's warranty, Chrysler should reimburse the rental car once your truck has been in the service department for more than 24 hours.  Call the Chrysler customer care line, and they should be able to figure it out for you.  It'll help if you have your VIN handy.

Think I may do that.  It is worth a shot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:25:35 PM EDT
[#12]
sounds like lift pump died. when the lift pump dies it will take out the injector pump because the injector pump cant suck through the LP

$$$
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I believe a warranty cover the mechanics of the truck, not rental cars, lost wages due to missed work, reimbursement for your time, etc etc etc.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
sounds like lift pump died. when the lift pump dies it will take out the injector pump because the injector pump cant suck through the LP

$$$

I think that is what happened.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#15]
What does the owner's manual state?  Similar story with our Chevy truck when the tranny grenaded.  Towed to the closest dealer, refused to get me a rental or loaner, until I had to quote him the page out of the manual that said indeed he will.  Unbelievable.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Some dealerships won't go out of their way to help you unless you purchased a vehicle from their lot. Since you did not get one of their loaners, they won't be in a big hurry to fix your truck.    

You should have had it towed to the dealership where you purchased the truck.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#17]
BS, Dodge should pay for you a Rental.

I had the check engine light come on my truck,This was a Friday and I was told it would be the following week before they got to my truck, My dealer drove me to Enterprise and got me a car.

About an hour later the dealer called me and said, We fixed your truck,, they met me over at Enterprise I dropped of the car and got my truck, I did not have to pay anything.

Call the zone rep for your area and give them hell.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#18]
My Dodge dealer has always been very very good. Some dealer plain suck ass, and you need to go above their heads. It usually works quite well as long as you are polite and know what the heck you are talking about. In my area it's the Frud dealer, they are flat out morons and thieves, not to mention liars.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I owned 1 Dodge truck.

1993 Dodge Turbo Cummins Diesel 2500

Bought it brand new. Was a complete piece of shit. Filed for 'Lemon law' thru the WA state attorney generals office and WON my case

Dodge / Chrystler had to buy it back from me nearly full price / tax - title etc that I paid

Dodge trucks SUCK
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
BS, Dodge should pay for you a Rental.

I had the check engine light come on my truck,This was a Friday and I was told it would be the following week before they got to my truck, My dealer drove me to Enterprise and got me a car.

About an hour later the dealer called me and said, We fixed your truck,, they met me over at Enterprise I dropped of the car and got my truck, I did not have to pay anything.

Call the zone rep for your area and give them hell.

Thats kind of what I was thinking.  At this point it is not so much the cost of the rental but the principal of the matter.

I will try calling the corporate offices and try to get some type of resolution.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nick

How do you like that 6.0?

Yeah dumbass you shouldn't be allowed to drive a Cummins!!  <--My diesel is a 6.0L though

-Dan.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Find a different dealer.

I haven't bought a new car, EVER.  But there is one dealership (Pontiac/Cadillac/GMC truck) that I trust to work on my cars, Holz in Watertown WI.  I have had Pontiacs, Buicks, a Jeep Cherokee (86 with GM 2.8L....did a complete engine swap) and Chevy truck worked on there.  Whenever I have a job that is too big for me to handle, I go there.  The service manager is great, and they always give me a rental for free from their fleet.  They have a specific mechanic that I have do the work for me, he's one of the best I've ever seen.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I owned 1 Dodge truck.

1993 Dodge Turbo Cummins Diesel 2500

Bought it brand new. Was a complete piece of shit. Filed for 'Lemon law' thru the WA state attorney generals office and WON my case

Dodge / Chrystler had to buy it back from me nearly full price / tax - title etc that I paid

Dodge trucks SUCK

Maybe yours does.  Mine simply won't die.  Its a 92 D150 that I've had a couple of years ago.  Its beat to hell, has an engine and tranny from another unkiown truck, been used to pull a 5th wheel.  It starts every time and the only thing I've done in two years is replace the water pump and radiator.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm happy with my truck for the most part (minus this little episode).  This is the first problem I have had it in (hopefully) it will be the last.

I am going to call Dodge corporate tomorrow and see what I can come up with.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:09:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I always bought Dodge/Chrysler products for a long time.  

I bought a 1988 Dodge pickup truck and had problems with it.   The service department damaged my truck every time I brought it in for warranty work.  They had to paint some of the truck about three times.  

One time, it was marked so they buffed it out.  It was a black truck and had deep swirl marks from the buffing.  When I tried to talk to the service manager (Ron Meany, his real name), he said he wasn't going to do anything about it.  

I had to talk to the owner of the dealership to get it fixed.  

Ron Meany is the reason I haven't bought a Dodge/Chrysler product since.  

I have bought Chevrolet trucks since 1989.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top