Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2006 2:18:18 PM EDT
Those words are "I'm sorry, I can't help you."

Perfect for almost every situation.

"Hey man, you got five bucks?"

"I'm sorry, I can't help you."

You not saying that you don't have any money. You're not saying you have money you won't give to them. You just can't help them, and you're sorry about it.

Doorbell rings. Sketchy character starts in with the "my car just ran out of gas, do you have a few bucks so I can fill up" story.

Works like a charm every time I've used it. Quick and non confrontational. Usually they'll quickly disengage after this answer and go bother someone else.

(Saw this as part of of a handgun training course on gun show on cable a year or so ago. Can't remember who it was otherwise I'd give them credit.)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer "fuck you bum".
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I prefer "fuck you bum".

and then they come back and break into your truck at night!

(j/k!)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I stick with 'No thanks' I guess that doesn't make a ton of sense to a panhandler, but they seem to get the message.

That's messed up, Aimless.  I say the same thing and haven't met anyone else who does (as far as I know...no one who has used it in front of me or said they use it).

Like you said, it works.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#5]

i made a 3 block walk through minneapolis a few weeks ago and got stopped TWICE by black people "hey can you lend a buck for the bus"  "Nope, all i have is Hundred dollar bills"

my friend once turned it around on one... went up to the black guy ( my friend is white )

friend- hey man, you got a buck so me and my ( 12 ) friends can catch the bus?
guy- naw man, saw-wee, aint got no money
Friend- well, can you bum me a Newport then??

this was during a drunken bachelor party, so we thought the situation was funny, being the roles were reversed.

P.S. the above was not meant to be racist, just pointing out the details of the stories
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#6]
When they say "Got any spare change?" I answer "Plenty, thanks for asking, though."

Sometimes I say "I'll buy you a good meal if you wash my car." Never had a single taker, though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#7]
My standard reply is:  "I work for my money, I suggest you do the same"

I hate bums.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Sometimes I say "I'll buy you a good meal if you wash my car." Never had a single taker, though.

Amazingly, when a guy asked me for $1, I said I'd give him a nickel for every cigarette butt he picked up from the parking lot. He picked up 20 and showed them to me. I gave him $1.

Work = pay.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You not saying that you don't have any money. You're not saying you have money you won't give to them. You just can't help them, and you're sorry about it.

Doorbell rings. Sketchy character starts in with the "my car just ran out of gas, do you have a few bucks so I can fill up" story.

Works like a charm every time I've used it. Quick and non confrontational. Usually they'll quickly disengage after this answer and go bother someone else.

(Saw this as part of of a handgun training course on gun show on cable a year or so ago. Can't remember who it was otherwise I'd give them credit.)

Wow, where do you live?  The bastards here in Dallas are relentless.  

Best line I have figured out since living here has been,

"Sorry bro, I don't carry cash..."

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]
"Get the fuck away from me!", yep, six words.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I go to Georgia Tech in downtown Atlanta and run into plenty of these guys every day.  I typically respond with a brief "nope" and continue on my way.  Then I read this today:

"Whoever shuts his ears to the cry of the poor will also cry himself and not be heard." (Prov. 21:13 NKJV)

Now I know some of you may not be religious, but I am and I know that others are.  How do we claim to be Christians, yet have this attitude?

Not flaming here as I'm just as guilty.  Just looking for opinions
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't see how this is an issue that needs to be addressed.  Whoopee... how ARFCOM deals with bums, other than drawing down.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, where do you live?  The bastards here in Dallas are relentless.  

Best line I have figured out since living here has been,

"Sorry bro, I don't carry cash..."

Try it once...I think it confuses them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#16]
"I have contracted the ebola virus"
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Whoever shuts his ears to the cry of the poor will also cry himself and not be heard." (Prov. 21:13 NKJV)

There are a lot of better ways to give to the poor, in my opinion, than giving money to panhandlers. Maybe I'm cynical, but I have a funny feeling that that money isn't going for a cup of rice and some milk.

There are several "Will work for food" hustlers near a mall in this area. A friend of mine stops and offers to buy them some take out from the nearby McDonald's and bring it back to them, I don't think any of them have taken him up on it, they want cash....

I remember news 2 back in Houston did a story on panhandlers.  They followed this guy to his free and clear late model SUV after a hard day of panhandling.  He drove to his very nice house and then they realized his wife did the same thing when they followed her in her nice, late model SUV from the house to her panhandling spot.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I go to Georgia Tech in downtown Atlanta and run into plenty of these guys every day.  I typically respond with a brief "nope" and continue on my way.  Then I read this today:

Now I know some of you may not be religious, but I am and I know that others are.  How do we claim to be Christians, yet have this attitude?

The reason people don't want to give to them is because they're scammers.

There are private groups and churches that are more than willing and able to help these people if they needed help.

The problem the panhandlers have is that those organizations may actually do a BS check before helping them out. They don't want that. They want someone who will give them a few bucks out of pity or to just get them out of the way.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are a lot of better ways to give to the poor, in my opinion, than giving money to panhandlers. Maybe I'm cynical, but I have a funny feeling that that money isn't going for a cup of rice and some milk.

There are several "Will work for food" hustlers near a mall in this area. A friend of mine stops and offers to buy them some take out from the nearby McDonald's and bring it back to them, I don't think any of them have taken him up on it, they want cash....

How about "The Lord helps those who help themselves" ?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#20]
No me gusta Zapatos Peros!

No I do not like dog shoes
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I usally answer the door naked with a pissed off look on my face, scratching my ass with one hand and either an AR, AK or 12ga in my other hand, if they stick around to give me the spiel, then I step back from the door and reply, "Oh hell yeah, come on in and have a seat", never had one come inside, this works for bible thumpers and neighbors also.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
"Panhandling is a summonsable offense sir." Works for me everytime.

yeah, but you're special.

If I could hand out tickets for panhandling, I'd do that instead.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I need it for my leprosy treatments.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget about 2 Thes 3:10 -  For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

God doesn't like bums either.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
i made a 3 block walk through minneapolis a few weeks ago and got stopped TWICE by black people "hey can you lend a buck for the bus"  "Nope, all i have is Hundred dollar bills"

Funny thing is I grew up there and never ran into that kind of behavior until I was living in the crappy parts of the DC area.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do know that quote is from Ben Franklin, and not the Bible.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Proverbs 11:25
A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.

But think of it in this context:  Will this refresh the person or feed a wrong habit?  You'll know by looking at them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#29]
My words: "Sorry, I don't have any money for you."

There's no reason to lie or be rude.  I don't have any money-for them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Please clarify:  Is this in a "at the carwash" scenario?

'cause I can think of two words that will get rid of a panhandler, etc., in that situation!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#31]
'put your hands where I can see them'

actually, my stock reply is "sorry buddy"
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I give them coupons.  It saves them money so that they don't have to beg so much.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#34]
My brother once had someone ask him for some money to get something to eat. He just happened to have a roast beef sandwich & gave it to the guy! The asshole looked at him & turned & threw it as he walked away. My brother showed restraint but would have killed him if he could have gotten away with it!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Um.... have you ever tried these eight words?? -- "eat the corn out of my sh&% as#&hole"  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#36]
While stationed in San Diego, Ca (USMC) there were alot of 'war heros' on the streets and they were obviously targeting short haired jarines.  Never heard the end of  the "help out a fellow Marine" line from alot of them.  On occasion we'd ask them what unit they were in and they got all backed up trying to make up some bullshit.....whole unit wiped out and other BS stories.  Then one time we ran up on this guy asking us for a buck/hungry....fellow Marine etc etc.  I told him that we were going to eat (fast food ) and that he was welcome to come along and we'll get him dinner.  Sure as shit, he tagged along we discussed military garbage and it turned out he was in and could recall units and likewise.  Not all people on the streets are fucked up.  Just the vast majority of them.

eta

This also reminds me of one time a few years ago I was going the Whataburger drive thru around Thanksgiving Holidays (I know I know) and recall that was colder than F*%# that year.   As I drove up to the Menu/Speaker/Mic thing.....next to it I see what is obviously a street person hanging around.  I'm the only one in the drive thru and I can see him looking my way as he was counting coins in his hand.   When I got closer I noticed that he was ever bit of 70-80 years old and worn down.   By this time I'm right on top of the speaker thing and he starts explaining to me that he has "X" amount and needs a few more cents to get the .99cents deal across the street (Jack in the Box).  He's very soft spoken (and senial) sp?, I think, and basically speaking over the "can I help you" coming from the other end of the speaker.  Basically I told him to meet me on the other end of the drive thru and I'd hook him up with a burger.  He even offered me the change he had to cover part of it.  I proceeded to order him a #1 Whataburger meal and dumped a handful of ashtray change in the bag after I gave it to him.  I normally don't shit like that, but you have to understand this man was old.  Really old.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Some of you fail to realize that MANY if not most of the homeless are mentally ill and often have to concept of right or wrong. The other portion might be fiending for some crack/meth/smack and highly agitated.

Talking this way to the homeless is a good way to get stabbed. If you're looking to get that first kill with your custom Kimber, blasting some homeless guy that has nothing but a screwdriver then by all means continue.

The thread starter shows the best way to diffuse these situations though.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Let me tell you about a woman I know.

She had four kids, a high school education, and her husband left her. The only work she could find paid about what WalMart does. She worked full time and took advantage of some of the many social programs which are available in this country. She stayed off of drugs and didn’t hit the bottle. She was (and is) a longtime friend and I helped her a bit, but she knew I was struggling too and wouldn’t take very much.

With those sources of income she was able to provide a small three bedroom house for her kids. They had central air and heat, they had cable TV and a telephone too. They had an old, but working, van. They never went hungry. And she never had a problem finding medical care either for herself or her kids.

No one can get any poorer than that in America unless they avoid Government assistance, are too lazy to work, or spend all their money on some drug.

I’ll bet that virtually all of the people here would gladly help out someone who was really poor in the Biblical sense of the word. Biblical poverty means that someone is too crippled to work or there is no work available and they and their children are literally starving.

But we don’t have that in America and everyone knows it. When someone asks us for money we know that they are just a frickin bum that’s willing to use the generosity of others to fund his freeloading.

I’m not technically poor but poor isn’t a long trip from where I am. I’m not overly sociable either, but I try to treat people decently and not screw over family and friends. If I needed some emergency food or gas money I could call up… let me see… at least eleven different households (not people but households) and get a place to stay, gas money, and some food. And those are just the one’s I’m sure of.

Point is that if someone has to bum off of strangers then they have already alienated all of their friends and family. It takes a lot of irresponsibility and screwing people over to do that.

Believe it or not, some people with plenty of cash and a roof over their heads go around bumming money just because they have no shame. I’ve know people who actually brag about it and laugh at how stupid people are. Yes, I’ve known bums personally and I know just what kind of people they usually are.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#39]
"Dude, you don't want to catch what I have.  It'll make your dick huge, but I only have three days to live.  Bye now."

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I like to say,
Five bucks, sure... You got change for a hundred?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]
"you take plastic?"

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I like how SC does it, just says good bye to em, very fucking loudly
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I prefer "fuck you bum".

and then they come back and break into your truck at night!

(j/k!)

DOH!

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#44]
I work in downtown FTW and have to go out in front to smoke, see LOTS of panhandlers.  They never care if I'm on the phone, will just come straight up and start their pitch.  I hear this one all the time..."Hey man, I just got out of jail...", I just stare at them till they give up and walk away.  I find the staring technique quite fun.  Really seems to freak them out.

And one lady seems to run out of gas 2-3 times a week lately.  Haven't seen her in a few days, though.  Maybe someone gave her a gas card.

I have wondered many times how many truly needy people I've turned away, but I see 3-5 a day, and I'd have to get a 2nd job if I started supporting them.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#45]
You know...it does work
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#46]
quijanos, when were you in Cali?  I was there 95-98, and often ran into this old bum in San Diego who had an EGA on one shoulder and a USN and anchor on the other.  He would come up and ask you if you were in the Corps, if you said yes then he showed his EGA and told how he was an old Gunny who fell on hard times. If you said no, that you were in the Navy then up went the other sleeve and he told of how he was an old Chief who fell on hard times.  I have to admit, I pay money for really inventive BS.  The better the story, the better the tip.  Bonus points if they can repeat it without messing it up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
"Get the fuck away from me!", yep, six words.

That's pretty much what I've settled on after 10 years of working in a big city.  It helps when you put the emphasis on the word "fuck".
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I never give money but I always offer to buy them a meal if I have time.
Have gone by McDonalds and bought a to go meal for a few panhandlers if they agreed, but you would be surprised at how many turn you down and just want cash.

If I was really down and out, no way would I turn down a free meal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I stick with 'No thanks' I guess that doesn't make a ton of sense to a panhandler, but they seem to get the message.

That's messed up, Aimless.  I say the same thing and haven't met anyone else who does (as far as I know...no one who has used it in front of me or said they use it).

Like you said, it works.

HAHA! I say "No thanks, I don't want any" to beggers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Get the Fuck Away From Me!

Have used that many times in NYC
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top