Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 12:12:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:18:59 PM EDT
[#1]
... time to start looking for that Nikon D1X I've been wanting....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
"electronical"?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]

When in doubt, blame security issues.

Ain't that the Goddamn truth.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
"electronical"?  

Who are we to argue Japanese semanticals?

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]
This is just like Japan though. Things like this are systemic.

They want to keep their construction companies busy... so they're constantly doing public works projects at the cost of billions a year... They did something similar to this electronic thing with their automobile policy as well. Now electronics.

keeripes...    I think Japan is one of the coolest countries around (never been there though)... but these kind of government domination laws are just awful.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah, this is gonna go over well with the general populace.

On the flipside, keep a heads up for second-hand Japanese electronics soon to be flooding ebay and other online auction sites.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Tyranny sucks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

On the flipside, keep a heads up for second-hand Japanese electronics soon to be flooding ebay and other online auction sites.

Which will then reduce the exports from the manufacturers.  And do worse things for their economy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#9]
What.....

The.....

FRACK.... ????

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which will then reduce the exports from the manufacturers.  And do worse things for their economy.

Unintended consequences are a real bugger!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#11]
PostBan Electronical Gadgets   Watch the prices rise.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Very strange.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#13]
they must be taking a hint from the ethanol mandates in the US.

Screw the consumer, prop up the lobbyists who give you campaign cash.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, IIRC they already do a similar things with cars, by making it damn near impossible to legally own and drive a vehicle more than a couple years old.

Because of this there is a thriving industry exporting the better parts from barely used vehicles that have become unaffordable to keep due to the regulations.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#16]
RIAA - Live at Buddakan

asshats
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I remember when the RIAA was whining and saying that reselling music CDs should be illegal because they werent seeing any profits from them either.

Fuck them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#18]
If you're careful you can get cheap used engines from Japan for Nissans, Datsuns, Toyotas etc.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
What.....

The.....

FRACK.... ????

Wrong Fracking Thread for that language, man.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Glad I dont live in Japan. Sounds like it sux there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What.....

The.....

FRACK.... ????

Wrong Fracking Thread for that language, man.  

I'm trying to clean up my language a bit.

No, I will NOT be adopting "felgercarb".
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:14:53 AM EDT
[#22]
This is a really good example why everything on the Internet should not be taken as the truth.

the Japanese government has passed a bill making all electronic goods sold before 2001 illegal on the second hand market.

This law only applies to certain products (vending machines, electric water heaters, TVs, fridges and such) that aren't approved for the PSE  (Product Safety、Electrical Appliance & Materials ) mark.
I live in Japan presently due to work.
I live in company housing which comes furnished.
After checking most of the electrical appliance's in my house, I can't find even one with out the PSE mark on it.

The government's excuse for the new ruling are security reasons on anything electronical. When in doubt, blame security issues.

The law states the reason as to stop injury and death by substandard electronics.

The customer is not always... well, rarely, right in Japan, and manufacturers don't really care about them.

Quite contrary to what I have experienced.

enforce a rule that used cars have to go to the technical inspection after 3 years, and this is a costly matter since a check costs between 1500 and 3500 EUR.

First it is every car, not used cars.
Don't know where that price came from.
It doesn't say what class of car so I'll assume that it is a middle sized one.
One Euro is about $0.8 so that makes the price range between $1200 and $2800
WW I saved myself a lot of money just by choosing the first garage that came up on Google.
Only $700 with 3 years of tax and insurance included!
If I just want the car checked, only about $200.

Important aspect is that you have no control whatsoever on the cost of possible repairs, because after the technical check, the car is driven to the garage and they do the repairs that the technical check asked them to do, you just get the bill with your car.

Yet again total
The first result on Google gives free estimates and if you don't want repair work done, they won't do it.  

Yeah, IIRC they already do a similar things with cars, by making it damn near impossible to legally own and drive a vehicle more than a couple years old.

All of my 8 neighbours except one in the street where I live have cars at least 5 years old, one is a 1986 model.
Wow, they all must have bribed the officials to pass their old cars, should I rat them out

Link to the law, in Japanese though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:21:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

---snip---

OH SNAP!!! He wins.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:56:27 AM EDT
[#24]
IPod aleady had this by simply having a non-replaceable battery. Who needs laws when you have designed-in short term failure?

Microsoft does the same thing. A couple years after the item is released it is non-compatible with damn near anything.

The f-ing mudslide of too soon obsolete techno-crap out of my house to the landfill alone makes me wonder WTF is up.

Even the local thrift shop won't accept fully operational Sony Trinitrons and/or 3 year old computers that went for thousands at purchase.

That Xbox 360 has less than 5 year useful life when you overpay for it on Ebay. F that. I'm buying good old GUNS. What's a Colt Single Action going for today, or a Barrett post-Hitlery?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:34:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Akihabara is an electronics paradise. They usually have stuff there a full year before we see it. Sometimes they catch on here, sometimes not. Anyone remember mini-discs? I didn't think so. They are mini cd's in a little cartridge.They are about 2.5 inches sqaure with a little cd inside. They hold all the music of a regular cd, but you can fit more in your car stereo. My little brother had one, but they never caught on and weren't supported here.

And the cars and parts, don't get me started on those. The Skyline GT-R, available in Japan for decades, may finally come here in '08. The integra Type R, Civic Type R, NSX Type R, Silvia, all awesome cars that we will never see here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:39:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What.....

The.....

FRACK.... ????

wrong thread frack head
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I suspect Japan has a thriving black market in all things deemed illegal - auto engines over 100k miles, guns, and now electronics.  Why do you think the Japanese government can enter their homes to inspect for "safety" issues at any time day or night?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:30:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I suspect Japan has a thriving black market in all things deemed illegal - auto engines over 100k miles, guns, and now electronics.  Why do you think the Japanese government can enter their homes to inspect for "safety" issues at any time day or night?

I am not aware of that feature in Japanese law, are you confusing it with England perhaps?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:41:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not aware of that feature in Japanese law, are you confusing it with England perhaps?

+1 Basically same as the US, the police need to have a warrant from a judge or probable cause.
And what's the bit about auto engines over 100k miles?

ETA As for electronics, please refer to my post at the bottom of page one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

---snip---

OH SNAP!!! He wins.

Thank you thank you
It's surprising how much I read on this board is are total lies or lies with a bit of truth mixed in.
When I read stuff like "There are no accurate textbooks in that country(Not true BTW)" posted by university professors who I highly respect and most of the time post very interesting and good stuff, it makes me wonder if a lot of the stuff that I think is true is actually not.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I just emailed one of my friends in Japan.  He has never heard of this but is checking around.  He commented it would be unenforceable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Akihabara is an electronics paradise. They usually have stuff there a full year before we see it. Sometimes they catch on here, sometimes not. Anyone remember mini-discs? I didn't think so. They are mini cd's in a little cartridge.They are about 2.5 inches sqaure with a little cd inside. They hold all the music of a regular cd, but you can fit more in your car stereo. My little brother had one, but they never caught on and weren't supported here.

And the cars and parts, don't get me started on those. The Skyline GT-R, available in Japan for decades, may finally come here in '08. The integra Type R, Civic Type R, NSX Type R, Silvia, all awesome cars that we will never see here.

The reason the mini CDs can hold all the music of a regular CD is because the miniCD uses
lossy compression.
This means some of the audio data is dropped when mastered compared to a regular CD master.
The actual sound quality of a miniCD is not the same as a regular CD.
They can be likened to mp3s, they sound ok, but definitely not the real deal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Actually this is quite interesting. It shows a major flaw in the so-called free market capitalist system. Actually nothing to do with money but rather Product and demand. For example, In Business 101 they teach that (ideally anyway) that Capitalism produces the "best products at the lowest prices" but that actually goes contrary to typical Consumerism. Two contradictory forces working in the same market place. For example take light bulbs. If a compnay made a light bulb that lasted forever then technically that would be the best product, but for who? The company? They'd go out of business once they sold everyone in the world a bulb and the demand collapsed as people no longer needed any more. Hence let me introduce to you the concept of "false economy" and "planned Obsolescence" This is where we create items for the sake of making money rather than for any good to the individual. So we create bulbs that intentionally burn out so people have to buy more. Japan in order to dominate the CAr market had to build a car that would last a lot longer than any other at a lower price. (evidently the Capitalist ideal) But demand would go down as people needed new cars less and less. You would literally be a victim of your own success. So? you pass a law making it economically unfeasable  (false economy) to own an old car. Hence now that electronic items are going the same way of lasting longer they make a rule which in effect forces people to buy the latest gizmo rather than get a second hand item. Aint the free market Great? Oh ps IBTFMI
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:59:40 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I just emailed one of my friends in Japan.  He has never heard of this but is checking around.  He commented it would be unenforceable.

Please refer to my post at the end of page one.

Ghee, it's amazing how many people don't read all of the thread before posting
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top