Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 2/22/2006 10:33:16 AM EDT
I've seen a lot of posts lately complaining about Deej butting his nose into everything, and calling him a troll.  Those concerns are somewhat valid.

Deej is my brother in law.  He's 20 years old, and has mild Cerebral Palsy and mild Autism.  This has several effects on him that are relevant here.

For reasons unknown to me, this kid worships the ground that I walk on, and wants to emulate me.  I'm kind of a shitbag, so this isn't really a good idea.  He showed a great interest in my gun hobby and wanted to learn more about it, so I introduced him to this site.

Deej has an unstoppable thirst for knowledge and facts, and one unique impact of his Autism is that he remembers everything.  This kid, quite literally,  is Rain Man.  He remembers posts from last year without needing to use the search.  He remembers the year, make, and model of rental car from the family trip to Disney world when he was 2 feet tall.  He remembers what pair of under he was wearing on 7/7/1995.

He also spends an insane amount of time reading and learning about things that are outside of his normal daily life.  It's so bad that he'll skip past the African boobies in National Geographic, and actually read the articles.  Facts about different cities that he wants to visit, cars he'd like to get his hands on, and things like that.

That's why he has an opinion on *EVERYTHING*.  He just doesn't understand that there's times to keep opinions to yourself, and that he should stop running his keyboard like he runs his mouth sometimes.  He fits the definition of "troll" perfectly in real life, but he can't help it, and I've grown to understand that.

His condition has also left him with several noticeable vision, reflex, and hearing problems.  Among other things, that means that he's probably not going to be driving or shooting anything anytime soon.  The family doesn't seem too warm to the thought of me getting some range time with him, but that may change eventually.

If he was an honest DU-type mischevious troll, I could whole-heartedly understand the reactions that he gets.  He doesn't mean harm, and just wants to absorb a huge amount of knowledge while hopefully making some friends along the way.  Please try to cut him a little slack.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks. I needed to know that.

I wish he had been upfront with it in the beginning.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the explanation.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I happen to like deej a lot...and NEVER think of him as anything but a fine young man!

HH
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I never had any issues with him.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#5]
tag.  He has come to my defense before.  So I shall share in coming to his.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#6]
+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#7]
If what you say is true, and he wants to learn and gather information, it's easier to do that WITHOUT POSTING IN GD.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
that explains a lot.

thanks

+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1

I never thought of him as a troll.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:43:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+2
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

+3.  He is a post whore though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

+3

I never understood what all the fuss was about .
 If he is autistic, I'm glad he has this as an outlet. That has to be a tough affliction.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#16]
LOL that explains it... I thought that migh be the case but kept it to my self.. Thanks...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info. I didn't think of him as a troll, personally.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:51:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Me neither. I don't understand the issue.

ETA: I will say this, though. Oh, how I wish I had a memory like that!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:51:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I noticed that he posts a lot in the Indiana Hometown Forums and I sent him an IM asking why, since he is from IL.  He explained very nicely and I left it at that.

I have a nephew with mild Autism, so I can totally relate here.  

Good on ya' for posting and letting us know what is going on.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I knew some of this,  as some of ya'll have seen I've come to his defense a lot.  He is a nice kid.  While part of me is glad that this is out and gives me hope that most will lay off of him, I worry that the people who have been the worst about dogging him will only use it as ammo.  If they do, I'll be on them like stink on shit, even if it means getting banned.  You DON'T INSULT AND RUN OFF PEOPLE THAT SUPPORT US PERIOD.  

And while he is a post whore.  He's no where near as bad as me
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the support guys.  There had been some threads where people replied that he should stop posting, or go get a gun, etc... and I guess it had left him feeling a little unwelcome.  I appreciate the understanding, and I'm sure he will too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#23]
never thought of him as a troll... maybe someone who spent too much time here, but never a troll.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I've never considered him a troll.  I don't remember him ever insulting anyone or going out of his way to make them feel poorly.  Deej86 always seems like good people to me.

We just have too many uptight jerks around here.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I have been here for quite some time. I have no idea why everyone gets all upset about DeeJ.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Maybe I am just not reading the right threads or something...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have been here for quite some time. I have no idea why everyone gets all upset about DeeJ.

I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Maybe I am just not reading the right threads or something...

+1.

From all the furor, you and I must have missed a bunch.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I think that some people saw his (understandbly) naive posts as being very similar to the kind of trolling that clean_cut would post, under the false guise of pretending to be naive.

If so, it's just one more illustration of how trolls like clean_cut harm the site, not just in wasting time and pissing people off, but by posioning the water for future posters that may be legitimate.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry to hear that.   I have been a bit rough on him.   My wife works with autistic children and I know it is rough.

Your  a cool guy , keep being a positive influence on him.

Hind sight is 20/20.   Wish I knew that bit of info earlier.

One shitbag to another,  keep being a role model for him.  I mean that in a nice way.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Thanks for the explanation--but it's all moot now.  A few hours ago he sent me an IM asking me to lock his account.  He said, "I don't belong here."  

[snip]

I would guess he has been turned away from "gun people" forever.  

Dang it.   That is so wrong.    People yell out troll way too damn often here.

Another example:
www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=439245

This person did not deserve the "shit" that was launched towards them in this thread, just because everyone here is do damn happy to yell out "troll!"
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I never though deej was anything harmful. Many members here are very vicious towards others.

I try not to be an ass towards anyone online because I have made some gross judgment errors, later finding out that the other person was far from what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Thanks for the explanation--but it's all moot now.  A few hours ago he sent me an IM asking me to lock his account.  He said, "I don't belong here."  

Honestly, my impression of him has wavered between "slow 19 y/o" and "troll trying to pass himself off as a slow 19 y/o."  His IM this morning made it clear to me he is indeed what he has claimed to be--as described by mr_camera_man above.  

I really wish the piranhas here could keep in mind this isn't a third grade playground.  I would guess he has been turned away from "gun people" forever.  

You didn't lock it did you?

I'd just hate to see that happen even though he asked.

As to that last part of yer post yah I agree as well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
later finding out that the other person was far from what I was thinking.

There a lot of that here and on the web in general..
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Interesting that so far, only team members have been posting in this thread.
I wish you would have posted this earlier..
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#35]
lots of people here annoy me more than Deej ever did.

Tell him to come back, relax, and ask anything he ever wanted to know.

then tell him to go and find a good source of info.

haha

Tell him no worries, from Arfcom

TXL
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
that explains a lot.

thanks

Same here. Glad you posted that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#38]
He's kinda Dopey, but I never had any beef with him.  (even though he doesn't like 87! )
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#39]
explains everything

in all seriousness, when he posted his photo some flags were raised for me...

that being said he was never a bother to me anyway
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Well this interesting. Is this really for real?

First off - the whole "hate on deej" had been around for awhile. Why did you wait until now to say something?

Next - I think a lot of people got a bit fed up with what most people view as very basic questions. He seems a capable young man. Why not use GOOGLE for some of this basic stuff? Perhaps encourage him to do so in the future. The web is FULL of info already out there. You dont need to post a new question that has been answered 100 times elsewhere on the web.

Finally - just because he has issues, doesnt really excuse the disruption of the forum. Sure sure - the people who reply are 1/2 at fault. But he does instigate most of the trouble. So I guess the question for the mods and the forum is - just because he has issues - does that excuse his behavior?

And finally finally - I havent had any personal problems with Deej in the past. He has gotten under my skin with a few posts, but I have seen much worse on other forums. Maybe with this post things will change.

Now - whats everyone else excuses for being a jackass? Mine is that my parents didnt teach me how to express my feelings in a postitive way.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:23:48 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

You didn't lock it did you?

I'd just hate to see that happen even though he asked.

Yes, of course--we never beg anyone to stay.  However, all "locked by request" accounts are unlocked upon a mere request (via e-mail) to do so--by any staffer.  He's welcome back.  Perhaps mr_camera_man wishes to convey that to him.  

Good to know thanks for the info. I for one hope he decides to come back.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Yes, of course--we never beg anyone to stay.  However, all "locked by request" accounts are unlocked upon a mere request (via e-mail) to do so--by any staffer.  He's welcome back.  Perhaps mr_camera_man wishes to convey that to him.  

I've already emailed him to that effect... thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Damn, I thought for sure this was going to be a ban-the-troll thread.

Instead, its something I totally did not expect.
I don't generally rag on anyone, sometimes people get on my nerves and I lose restraint, but I try not to be like that... after all,  it's just the internet.  Your Bro-in-law really does'nt bug me at all, confused me is more like it. This thread explains alot, I thought Deej was just horribly misplaced on this board, after reading some of his posts, but now I understand. Too bad people ridicule those they don't understand, I'm sure the guy did'nt need the harassment. I'm glad I did'nt make any cracks towards him.

Shit man... your post was a real stand up thing, especially for a self-proclaimed shitbag. I think you're probably not a shitbag but rather, a pretty decent dude, and Deej is probably not misguided or unwise in looking up to you.

Hopefully the ARFCOM folks will let him continue to learn here, in peace. I have to give Deej alot of credit for having a thick skin. Most people probably woulda just left after recieving the treatment.

Quoted:
I've seen a lot of posts lately complaining about Deej butting his nose into everything, and calling him a troll.  Those concerns are somewhat valid.

Deej is my brother in law.  He's 20 years old, and has mild Cerebral Palsy and mild Autism.  This has several effects on him that are relevant here.

For reasons unknown to me, this kid worships the ground that I walk on, and wants to emulate me.  I'm kind of a shitbag, so this isn't really a good idea.  He showed a great interest in my gun hobby and wanted to learn more about it, so I introduced him to this site.

Deej has an unstoppable thirst for knowledge and facts, and one unique impact of his Autism is that he remembers everything.  This kid, quite literally,  is Rain Man.  He remembers posts from last year without needing to use the search.  He remembers the year, make, and model of rental car from the family trip to Disney world when he was 2 feet tall.  He remembers what pair of under he was wearing on 7/7/1995.

He also spends an insane amount of time reading and learning about things that are outside of his normal daily life.  It's so bad that he'll skip past the African boobies in National Geographic, and actually read the articles.  Facts about different cities that he wants to visit, cars he'd like to get his hands on, and things like that.

That's why he has an opinion on *EVERYTHING*.  He just doesn't understand that there's times to keep opinions to yourself, and that he should stop running his keyboard like he runs his mouth sometimes.  He fits the definition of "troll" perfectly in real life, but he can't help it, and I've grown to understand that.

His condition has also left him with several noticeable vision, reflex, and hearing problems.  Among other things, that means that he's probably not going to be driving or shooting anything anytime soon.  The family doesn't seem too warm to the thought of me getting some range time with him, but that may change eventually.

If he was an honest DU-type mischevious troll, I could whole-heartedly understand the reactions that he gets.  He doesn't mean harm, and just wants to absorb a huge amount of knowledge while hopefully making some friends along the way.  Please try to cut him a little slack.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Since I mostly read the Technical Forums that's where I remember Deej86 from. He is a perfectly fine member there and I hope he stays.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
First off - the whole "hate on deej" had been around for awhile. Why did you wait until now to say something?

Deej has grown up around a close-knit group that understands and appreciates him, but his social exposure was somewhat limited beyond that.  I thought this would be a great chance for him to interact with a wider variety of people and learn how to handle himself in different social situations.  I kinda wanted to keep my hands out of it and let him learn his own lessons.  

Hell, he almost needed to be called a troll to a certain extent... just so he could appreciate that other people don't understand his ability to remember everything and have an opinion on it.  I just didn't want him to take things the wrong way and feel that he wasn't welcome.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:34:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

+3.  He is a post whore though.

So ?   At least he coughed up the 20 bucks to do so.....

There's no shortage of post whores here, in case you hadn't noticed.  And most of them HAVE no 'excuse' like he does. While he may be a little overenthusiastic, he seems like a nice enough kid and is never anything but respectful here, that I've seen.

That's a LOT more than I can say about many of the people here.....

People should leave the kid alone, for Christ's sake.    Unfortunately, too many here think being a fucking dick is somehow funny.

I for one, hope he comes back.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:35:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Well this interesting. Is this really for real?

Next - I think a lot of people got a bit fed up with what most people view as very basic questions. He seems a capable young man. Why not use GOOGLE for some of this basic stuff? Perhaps encourage him to do so in the future. The web is FULL of info already out there. You dont need to post a new question that has been answered 100 times elsewhere on the web.

Finally - just because he has issues, doesnt really excuse the disruption of the forum. Sure sure - the people who reply are 1/2 at fault. But he does instigate most of the trouble. So I guess the question for the mods and the forum is - just because he has issues - does that excuse his behavior?

And finally finally - I havent had any personal problems with Deej in the past. He has gotten under my skin with a few posts, but I have seen much worse on other forums. Maybe with this post things will change.

Now - whats everyone else excuses for being a jackass? Mine is that my parents didnt teach me how to express my feelings in a postitive way.

If you read the post you'd see he wanted info, and make friends along the way. Google may be full of info, but can you really be friends with it? And I think most everyones excuse for being is jackass is anonymity. It's easy to be a jackass when noone knows who you are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top