Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 9:13:33 AM EDT
I seem to have some issues with peeling boiled eggs. For some reason I can't get the shell of without gouging the whites like crazy. I crack them and make sure the shell is broken all over before I start peeling but I can't seem to get under that skin that makes taking the shell off easy.
Sometimes it takes me 2-3 minutes of peeiling one egg! It drives me up the wall. I'm boiling them for 10 minutes and then letting them sit in the hot water for 10 minutes. Is this the problem or is there something else I should be doing to peel a damn boiled egg?
You wouldn't think it would be this hard but for me it seems to be pretty damn tough!
Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I seem to have some issues with peeling boiled eggs. For some reason I can't get the shell of without gouging the whites like crazy. I crack them and make sure the shell is broken all over before I start peeling but I can't seem to get under that skin that makes taking the shell off easy.
Sometimes it takes me 2-3 minutes of peeiling one egg! It drives me up the wall. I'm boiling them for 10 minutes and then letting them sit in the hot water for 10 minutes. Is this the problem or is there something else I should be doing to peel a damn boiled egg?
You wouldn't think it would be this hard but for me it seems to be pretty damn tough!
Thanks for your help.

I find if you rinse them and peel them under the cold water faucet, it makes it easier.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Bring your eggs to room temperature before cooking. The temperature of the egg at the start of the cooking process will affect the cooking time. An egg that is at room temperature at the start of the cooking process will require about 1 minute less cooking time than eggs taken directly from the refrigerator. If the egg has been stored in the refrigerator it can be warmed gently under a flowing hot tap water.

Place them in a single layer in a pan with enough cold water to cover eggs completely. Bring the water to a boil, remove from heat, cover tightly with a lid, and allow to remain in the water approximately 15 to 20 minutes.

Then place under running, cold water to cool quickly. This way of cooking is also known as "coddling." It does not toughen the whites as boiling does. This will also help prevent discoloration of the yolk and will also assist with the peeling process, as the cold water creates steam between the egg white and the shell which makes the shell easier to remove.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:42:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Also very fresh eggs are often more difficult to peel, so your problems may be in one way a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like your overcooking.
Slightly submerge eggs in cold water in an uncovered pan on the stove.  Bring to boil.  Cover and remove from heat let stand for 15 minutes.  Peel under cold water.  Let the egg water cool and water your African Violets with it (your wife will know what I'm talking about).
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to have the same problem.   My system works for each and every egg since I've started it.

All you need to do is to bring the water to a boil BEFORE putting the eggs in, then resume boiling for 10 minutes after that.  Put pot in the sink and run cold water at a trickle into the pot, for a minute, you're done!

You will need to lower the eggs into the water with a tablespoon to keep them from cracking as they will crack easily just dumping them in.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
WOW, thanks a lot ya'll! I'll try each and every suggestion.
Thanks again!
Now all I need to do is learn how to proof read.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#8]
add salt to the water when boiling.  Works like a charm
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
after boiling....immerse in a bowl of water with plenty of ice.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
There are worse things to have to ask about. Remember the guy a while back who asked how to make a hamburger?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
This doesn't work; however, on Soft Boiled eggs.  YMMV
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
There are worse things to have to ask about. Remember the guy a while back who asked how to make a hamburger?

I make a hamburger by going to Wendy's and saying "Gimme a double with everything but onions, and make it snappy!"  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#14]
After they have cooled you can crack the shell then roll the egg with your hand on a dish rag. It will crack the shell all the way around and make them easier to peel.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Thank you for your support. I'm getting ready to run all suggestions. Should be fun. WHo knows maybe I'll do a pictorial.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You wouldn't think it would be this hard but for me it seems to be pretty damn tough!hanks

I find if you rinse them and peel them under the cold water faucet, it makes it easier.  

It's how I do it and my mom used to always do it that way when I was younger
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:47:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks for your help.

It's how I do it and my mom used to always do it that way when I was younger

Well thank you very much young lady!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:52:01 PM EDT
[#18]
THIS is one of the neatest toys I've had for years!

Makes excellent McMuff's. Also hardboils the eggs killer. Cleanup is one tiny little pan the egg is poached in.

The toaster self adjusts and accepts English muffins down to skinny little frozen pancakes.

The controls are automatic so the egg and the muff is done at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#19]
GOOOOOOOOOOOATTTTTTTT  BAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZ
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Always works for me.

However, if it doesn't work, egg shells are just extra (crunchy) calcium.  It's like, health eggs.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
GOOOOOOOOOOOATTTTTTTT  BAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZ

So....rocky mountain oysters??? Or do you just like goat balls?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Peel it under cold running water, if that doesn't work then choose a new meal. HB eggs just may not be for you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you for your support. I'm getting ready to run all suggestions. Should be fun. WHo knows maybe I'll do a pictorial.

See?  You had nothing to be embarrassed about.  These are all techniques that had to be learned and passed on.  I never would have guessed about the cold water quenching until my Mom showed me years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top