Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/22/2006 5:24:07 AM EDT
The guy looks like a greaseball, driving a standard Ford pickup truck.  The generator looks to be brand new, he fired it up, works good.  It's a Honda 8,000 Watt generator - real nice.  He offers to sell it to me for $200.  The situation screams that the generator is hot.

Clearly this skirts the realm of ethical business practices....

What would you do?  I know what I did.....Poll Coming, of course!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:27:03 AM EDT
[#1]
SOLD!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:27:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The guy looks like a greaseball, driving a standard Ford pickup truck.  The generator looks to be brand new, he fired it up, works good.  It's a Honda 8,000 Watt generator - real nice.  He offers to sell it to me for $200.

It's stolen. Let the police know.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:27:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Buy it and take it to your uber secret Bug Out location deep in the Maine woods...somewhere north of Millinocket/Mt Kathadin area.

Kick his ass before he drives away...take your money back and threaten to call the police on him....he won't be back.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are comfortable with trafficing in stolen property by all means buy it especially if you have a bug out location to conceal utilize said stolen property

BTW, is it too hot to touch?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]

[Inspects generator for the blue paint my former boss used to cover his equipment with]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:28:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Possesion of stolen property? Sure why not!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Same thing you do when a guy approaches you at a gas station in a beater van offering to sell you stereo equipment for pennies on the dollar while constantly looking over his shoulder*... You tell him to get the hell out of there.

Arfcom Draw Down™ optional.

*has happened to me TWICE, both times in good parts of town
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:30:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Be interesting to see how many people here would buy a clearly stolen item....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:35:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy it but only if he rights you a reciet and shows you his I.D.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:36:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Apparently, while we hate thieves, a large number of "people" are perfectly happy to take what they sell and call it a deal.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:43:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Knock him out cold. Steal his truck with the generator in the back.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:45:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Same thing you do when a guy approaches you at a gas station in a beater van offering to sell you stereo equipment for pennies on the dollar while constantly looking over his shoulder*... You tell him to get the hell out of there.

The speakers-out-of-the-van thing is a an old scam.  They make you think you're getting a great deal on stolen high-end gear.  They love to target people outside places like best Buy and also high-end audio/home-theater stores.  What you get is a set of $40 home-built speakers for $100.  They're not stolen, just sold using a weird practice.

I read a pretty interesting article in an audio magazine about this.  One of the editors of the magazine got approached by one of these guys.  He knew the scam, but he wanted the opportunity to test a set of these van speakers in his audio test chamber, so he played dumb and bought them.

They were decently loud and not horrible, but the sound quality was sub-standard, and they weren't worth the $100 he paid for them.  He could have gotten better sound out of a decent store-bought $100 set.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:49:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Apparently, while we hate thieves, a large number of "people" are perfectly happy to take what they sell and call it a deal.

True, and that's why so many illegal things can go on.  Thieves will always be with us, but they would not be so numerous if there wasn't an acceptance and even a demand.  Look at drugs.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#15]
So much for do good Patriots.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:51:23 AM EDT
[#16]
If you don't buy it someone else will.
Try to exchange contact info in case you have any problems, run the serial before the cash changes hands?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd turn the thief in.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd buy it if he allowed me to run the serial number first, has ID and signs a BOS.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#19]
That's why I keep mine locked ever since the ice storm a few years back.  Bastards were driving arouind at night seeing who had power and then coming back during the day to steal the generator while people were at work.

Tell him you need a day or 2 to get the money and report it to the State Police.  That way he should still have it when they investigate.  If they investigate and find everything's legit, then buy it.  Ask for a name and phone number to call him back in case he's running bad plates on his truck.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:00:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I've had to walk away from screaming "deals" at flea markets. I like a good deal as much as the next guy, but receiving stolen property isn't such a great deal in the long run. Sure, somebody is going to buy it, but that somebody ain't gonna be me.

I've had plenty stolen from me in my lifetime. The people who bought my hard-earned stuff are just as guilty as the shitbags who broke into my garage.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#21]
My question is who carrys $200 in cash?

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'd buy it if he allowed me to run the serial number first, has ID and signs a BOS.

The second you said any of that the guy would bail.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yeah, kind of disturbing, no?

I'm all for a good deal, but it's got to be legal...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd tell him sorry, not interested.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:09:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Let's change the subject matter - what if the guy rolls up with an AR-15 or a custom Colt 1911 and offers them to you for a "steal" of a price?

I would think...Murder Weapon???
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't deal with stolen property.

It's also sad to look at the poll and see there are a lot of people who will take an obviosly stolen item.

Av.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try to exchange contact info in case you have any problems.

Unless the guy gets arrested for selling stolen goods.

Let's change the subject matter - what if the guy rolls up with an AR-15 or a custom Colt 1911 and offers them to you for a "steal" of a price?

That I would buy as a "Throw down" gun no seriously
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:12:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Take down his tag number and call the popo it's stolen.

If it was yours you would want it back.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Try to exchange contact info in case you have any problems.

Doesn't make it right... And giving your info to a known scumbag thief will only result in your fancy-dancy new generator getting re-stolen for re-sale by the same re-tard.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:13:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Id say sorry, no thanks.  Ive been offered $1200 speakers out of a mini van before.  The guys had the back seats removed and the speakers stacked to the ceiling.  He asked 500 each, i got them down to 175 each, then said no thanks.  Sometimes I regret not buying those things.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The speakers-out-of-the-van thing is a an old scam.  They make you think you're getting a great deal on stolen high-end gear.  They love to target people outside places like best Buy and also high-end audio/home-theater stores.  What you get is a set of $40 home-built speakers for $100.  They're not stolen, just sold using a weird practice.

I read a pretty interesting article in an audio magazine about this.  One of the editors of the magazine got approached by one of these guys.  He knew the scam, but he wanted the opportunity to test a set of these van speakers in his audio test chamber, so he played dumb and bought them.

They were decently loud and not horrible, but the sound quality was sub-standard, and they weren't worth the $100 he paid for them.  He could have gotten better sound out of a decent store-bought $100 set.

In my younger days when my conscience wasn't as well defined as it currently is I worked selling speakers out of a van. The way the deal worked was you and a partner left the warehouse in the morning with 8 sets of speakers on "consignment" The boss charged you $205 per set.  You sold the speakers for whatever you could get out of them, and kept everything above the $205 you owed the company.

The most I ever sold a set for was $600. Until I sold that set @ $600 that's where I would always start the negation, to leave myself plenty of room to come down. This guy when I tell him $600 asks me, do you have to have that much for them? I said yes, and he said, OK, lets go to the ATM After that I always started the "bidding" at $800.

Its not a scam, but more of a hustle

The stories I could tell from those 10 months....I should start a series of posts entitled "True Tales of the Speakerman"

echo6
edit to add The best part of that job, was that I got very adept at picking up wimminz in traffic. Its much easier to get a girls phone number at a red light than in a club. You catch them off guard and ( at least for me ) it was easy to come off with major confidence 'cause if she did shoot me down in flames, all I had to do was roll my window back up and then drive off, laughing about the shoot down with whoever I was riding with that day.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:27:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
SOLD!

+1 and then EBay!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:35:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

yup
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:35:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The guy looks like a greaseball, driving a standard Ford pickup truck.  The generator looks to be brand new, he fired it up, works good.  It's a Honda 8,000 Watt generator - real nice.  He offers to sell it to me for $200.  The situation screams that the generator is hot.

200 bucks isn't a deal when you have to start answering cop questions about it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't have the cash. It just so happens that I have a cashier's check for $1400. Can you go ahead and wire me the difference? I'll let you keep an extra $50 for the trouble, so just wire me $1150.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#37]
8K watts with a quuite engine?

Tough one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
My question is who carrys $200 in cash?

I never carry less than $1,000 in cash.  Just in case.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I don't have the cash. It just so happens that I have a cashier's check for $1400. Can you go ahead and wire me the difference? I'll let you keep an extra $50 for the trouble, so just wire me $1150.

LOL scam the scammer.

Well played!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Still wouldn't take it.

If I don't know where the gun came from, I don't want to get tied up with it.

I actually had a debate about this with some officers from the local SWAT team. They did a raid on a meth house run by some of those lovely hard working freedom seeking MS-13 type illegals and found 13 guns in the house.

Several were really nice guns. We are talking Colt 1911s, etc.

Every one of those guns now has to be destroyed.

I told the SWAT guys that they were making a huge mistake, and that I ran a charity where I provided a good stable home for firearms who were innocently caught up in crimes, and that I would make sure the weapons found a loving caring home where they would spend their lives happily and safely punching paper.

The bastards still wouldn't hand them over, saying something about "rule of law" or some BS....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Bingo.

What some scumbag is offering me for cheap is most likely something he stole from someone like me. If some jackass stole my property and tried to sell it, I would want to beat his face in. Ditto the guy who bought it...

It is sort of like cheating. If your best friend's wife came to you and wanted to get it on, it would be ABSOLUTELY IMMORAL to do so. No matter how hot she is.

There is a principle at stake here....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

... You have your answer. It's always best to take the high road.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Oh, snap!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, while he's dropping off the used generator, he's taking inventory of everything you have.

He'll be back in 2 weeks to "re-po" "his generator", and a bunch of your stuff will go with it.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I'd need to see his CCW license before buying it
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Hmmmm....

There's a lot more scumbags on this board than what I thought.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:09:08 AM EDT
[#47]
I'd do what I'd want other people to do if my generator was stolen: Say no then call the po-po.

Not only is it the right thing to do, he may get caught fencing something else and tell the cops where the generator is to ease his sentence. Then you're out your new generator and $200
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Doesn't make it right... And giving your info to a known scumbag thief will only result in your fancy-dancy new generator getting re-stolen for re-sale by the same re-tard.

Umm, he already knows where you're working, that is the address you give him.  The guy might produce some photo ID thats good to go.  If you get his address, phone number, and license tag, make and model vehicle, I'd say he doesn't have much to hide.  Are transactions where you pay a high price for something the only ones that should take place?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Yeah, while he's dropping off the used generator, he's taking inventory of everything you have.

He'll be back in 2 weeks to "re-po" "his generator", and a bunch of your stuff will go with it.

+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
So much for do good Patriots.

Between this poll and the other one that was going around yesterday ("if you had one billion dollars, would you try to fix america or say "fuck it" and bug out to an island), I am fairly well disgusted with a huge segment of the population here:  A bunch of PC-posing paranoid pussies with no integrity.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top