Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]
narc his ass, I hope you got his plate no.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd prolly have to pass.

And, I'd prolly regret it later
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Doesn't make it right... And giving your info to a known scumbag thief will only result in your fancy-dancy new generator getting re-stolen for re-sale by the same re-tard.

Umm, he already knows where you're working, that is the address you give him.  The guy might produce some photo ID thats good to go.  If you get his address, phone number, and license tag, make and model vehicle, I'd say he doesn't have much to hide.  Are transactions where you pay a high price for something the only ones that should take place?

Riiiight. While there are dumb criminals that leave their wallets at the bank they just robbed, for example, I wouldn't count on that always happening. I would venture to guess that they'd just drive off if you challenged them for their information.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:36:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, I like a good deal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't deal with stolen property.

It's also sad to look at the poll and see there are a lot of people who will take an obviosly stolen item.

Av.

Agreed, but that is a HELL of a deal on a nice generator
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a similar thing happen to me.   A couple of guys pull up and ask if I want to buy some stereo speakers.  

Apparently, a store clerk had given them the wrong speaker package and these guys were looking to cash in.  The speaker set alone was worth $1300.  The guys wanted $350.  It was just more than I was willing to go.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a couple guys approach me at a gas station. They were installers for high-end home theatre systems and had two extra speakers in their van. They showed me where they listed at like $1200 apice and offered them to me for "a couple hundred."

No thanks--stolen property. My luck it would have been a sting anyway.

ETA: Wow, Bangstick, i didn't see your post before I posted. I wonder if we're talking about the same guys.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]
buy it
run the serial number
comes back clean or not reported stolen, keep it
comes back stolen you are out $200

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
buy it
run the serial number

How exactly would you "run the serial number?"
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I had a couple guys approach me at a gas station. They were installers for high-end home theatre systems and had two extra speakers in their van. They showed me where they listed at like $1200 apice and offered them to me for "a couple hundred."

ETA: Wow, Bangstick, i didn't see your post before I posted. I wonder if we're talking about the same guys.

The guys I talked to were young 20's and in a mini SUV in Georgetown, ky.  April 2005
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#11]
That actually happened where I work. Young kid shows up in a pickup with a genny and other work related tools. He says his boss wants to sell and he asks is if we want to buy them...suuuuuurree we do.

So while my boss goes out to the truck and looks over the stuff, we call the cops and they come out.

Oops! True story, not stolen.

Another time, one of our jumpers had his car broken into and his gear stolen. The Einsteins that stole it figured the best place to sell it was at the local skydiving school. So they brought it out and we, of course, recognized it and called the cops while we were "getting the money". BUSTED!!! Bwahahahahaha!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Riiiight. While there are dumb criminals that leave their wallets at the bank they just robbed, for example, I wouldn't count on that always happening. I would venture to guess that they'd just drive off if you challenged them for their information.

If he drives off then you've lost nothing but time, and you can still report him to the cops.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So much for do good Patriots.

You can be a thief and a good Patriot.

PS
I don't condone buying stolen stuff
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
buy it
run the serial number

How exactly would you "run the serial number?"

call the police and ask them has there been any report of a generator type and serial number been reported stolen?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll Give ya $250 for it.      

If I bought it I would always regret the moment of weakness.

If I didn't, I would always regret passing on the sweet deal.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#16]
No way.    I've turned down that type of deal a few times, and it was usually tools or jewelry.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:12:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It's been said a couple times already, but this isn't stolen merchandise.  It's a scam/hustle some businesses use to sell stereo and video equipment.  None of it is stolen.

I have been approached at least half a dozen times across the country with the same deal.  In PA, NV, CA, and NY.  None of it is stolen, it's just a way a business tries to con you into buying their stuff.

So if something is a at a cheap price it is obviously stolen?  Some of you really need to get rid of your tinfoil helmets.  Sometimes people sell things at cheap prices, as they don't know what it's worth or need the money.  According to some of you, the police should be called if something is sold at less then full price.

Here is an example from up here around 9 months ago:  My one friend saw an ad in the newspaper which read "1972 Corvette $500." According to a lot of you he should of called the police screaming that this was obviously a stolen car.  Instead he went and looked and bought it.  Cherry 72 vette with 35k miles.  Turns out the car was from a widowed woman who was reasonably wealthy.  It was her husbands, who died 6 years ago and she wanted it gotten rid of.  So he got a hell of a deal.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#18]

It's been said a couple times already, but this isn't stolen merchandise. It's a scam/hustle some businesses use to sell stereo and video equipment. None of it is stolen.

Their is a suggested "pitch" but after the training period, what you say when your out on the street trying to move sets is totally up to you.

Kind of embarrassed about it now, but one of the pitches I would use if the person I was trying to sell to seemed to be the right "type" was-

"You know where X (X=Insert local pro audio installer shop)  is right?"

(with BIG smile)
"Well my boss thinks I'm getting lunch right now"

I did get "Drawn Down" on using that pitch once though.

After I gave him the smile and the "my boss thinks I'm getting lunch now" line, he said,
"OK let me get the $$ out of my Jeep."
He came back with a badge and a gun, proned me and my partner out, then wanted me  to tell him all about the speakers I told him I stole from "X".

My reply was "Sir I said no such thing. I simply asked you if you where the place was, and since its 12:15 my boss probably dose think I'm eating my lunch right now."
If I can get up now,I can provide you with my consignment receipt for the speakers in the van, and my vendor license to sell in your county?"

If I didn't have some sort of interaction with the local LEOs at least a few times a week, I felt like I wasn't doing my job right

I once even ended up selling a set of speakers to a cop who at first thought he was going to be taking me to jail.
He got them at my cost of course

echo6
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Let's change the subject matter - what if the guy rolls up with an AR-15 or a custom Colt 1911 and offers them to you for a "steal" of a price?

Still wouldn't take it.

If I don't know where the gun came from, I don't want to get tied up with it.

I actually had a debate about this with some officers from the local SWAT team. They did a raid on a meth house run by some of those lovely hard working freedom seeking MS-13 type illegals and found 13 guns in the house.

Several were really nice guns. We are talking Colt 1911s, etc.

Every one of those guns now has to be destroyed.

I told the SWAT guys that they were making a huge mistake, and that I ran a charity where I provided a good stable home for firearms who were innocently caught up in crimes, and that I would make sure the weapons found a loving caring home where they would spend their lives happily and safely punching paper.

The bastards still wouldn't hand them over, saying something about "rule of law" or some BS....

13 GUNS !!!    

13............  It's teh new 87  

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Be interesting to see how many people here would buy a clearly stolen item....

Not after the FireFighter thread
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Knock him out cold. Steal his truck with the generator in the back.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#23]
To everyone that says they would call the police, what would you tell them? That someone tried to sell you something, and you thought price was too low? Yeah, I'm sure they'd get someone on that. Especially since you have nothing more than a description that would probably fit thousands of people in that city.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#24]
topgunpilot20...
Best response yet
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
To everyone that says they would call the police, what would you tell them? That someone tried to sell you something, and you thought price was too low? Yeah, I'm sure they'd get someone on that. Especially since you have nothing more than a description that would probably fit thousands of people in that city.

Huh?

No, we'd call the police because chances are, the genset was stolen... Price has nothing to do with it.

How often do people roll up to you and offer to sell you stuff???
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#26]

WOW! 45 percent of you scumbags would take the deal on the stolen generator.

The lowest common denominator type of person is well represented on ARFCOM.  Stupid, selfish, and criminal is not the way to live your lives, people.

The decline and fall of America seems to be approaching with ever increasing velocity.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

No, we'd call the police because chances are, the genset was stolen... Price has nothing to do with it.

And what would you tell them exactly?

Seriously, pretend I'm the police dispatcher:

[Dispatcher]: City police department.
[macman37]: . . .

Fill in the blank.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

And what would you tell them (the police) exactly?

You don't have to tell the cops anything.  Call 911, tell them you have a suspected stolen generator, and the po-po would arrive in minutes (while you stalled by asking questions and inspecting the generator).  They could question the thief directly and take the appropriate action.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Since no one has stated the obvious, guess I will.

Talk him down before you buy it
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I would buy it in a second. I live in hurricane alley.

If I lived in the middle of america I would tell him to go play with his nuts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

Fill in the blank.

"I just had a guy roll up to my jobsite and attempt to sell what I believe to be stolen goods... Yes, he's a *insert physical description here* in a *insert vehicle description here*, license number XXX XXX and he offered to sell me and my guys what appears to be a very expensive generator for $200. Yes, my job site is ... *insert job site location here*... Thank you..."

It's not hard to be an upright citizen.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:49:53 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

---snip---

Apparently not true for about half the people here.

Pretty sad.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I had two guys pull up next to me in a company truck and try to sell me 2 new in the crate generators for 100 each, i said no. I still kick myself for that. They were trying to tell me the boss did not want to haul them back to their hometown.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#35]
If your pouring a slab of concrete, thump him in the head and cover him with a few inches of concrete.  Free generator for you.    He stole it anyway.  

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

Fill in the blank.

"I just had a guy roll up to my jobsite and attempt to sell what I believe to be stolen goods... Yes, he's a *insert physical description here* in a *insert vehicle description here*, license number XXX XXX and he offered to sell me and my guys what appears to be a very expensive generator for $200. Yes, my job site is ... *insert job site location here*... Thank you..."

Thank you for a direct response. Do you really think they would send cops to scour the streets for what's probably an average looking man with an average looking vehicle who's selling something at a price that may be too low? In a small town maybe, but I couldn't see a large city using resources on such a weak lead. I'm not saying you shouldn't call it in, but I doubt anything will come of it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
...snip... ...you scumbags... ...snip...

Welcome to the party.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's been said a couple times already, but this isn't stolen merchandise.  It's a scam/hustle some businesses use to sell stereo and video equipment.  None of it is stolen.

I have been approached at least half a dozen times across the country with the same deal.  In PA, NV, CA, and NY.  None of it is stolen, it's just a way a business tries to con you into buying their stuff.

So if something is a at a cheap price it is obviously stolen?  Some of you really need to get rid of your tinfoil helmets.  Sometimes people sell things at cheap prices, as they don't know what it's worth or need the money.  According to some of you, the police should be called if something is sold at less then full price.

Here is an example from up here around 9 months ago:  My one friend saw an ad in the newspaper which read "1972 Corvette $500." According to a lot of you he should of called the police screaming that this was obviously a stolen car.  Instead he went and looked and bought it.  Cherry 72 vette with 35k miles.  Turns out the car was from a widowed woman who was reasonably wealthy.  It was her husbands, who died 6 years ago and she wanted it gotten rid of.  So he got a hell of a deal.

8,000watt Honda Generators are not sold from cars for $200.00 by anybody turning a profit on them by legal means.  Old ladies looking to sell pristine cars they legally own advertise in the paper.  Peope selling tools they want to get rid of take out adds in the paper, they don't wander around looking for a buyer in a parking lot.  If your stolen radar is not tripped by that then you are missing one or you just don't care.

If some guy shows up in the gunshow parking lot selling an M1 for $120, my first assumption is NOT that he's just clearing space out of his closet from some old war relic he doesn't want anymore.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Thank you for a direct response. Do you really think they would send cops to scour the streets for what's probably an average looking man with an average looking vehicle who's selling something at a price that may be too low? In a small town maybe, but I couldn't see a large city using resources on such a weak lead. I'm not saying you shouldn't call it in, but I doubt anything will come of it.

It's out of my hands at that point. I did what I could, and the authorities will have to take it from there.

If they choose not to because it's no big deal to them, well, that's up to them.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#40]
So what did Hokie do?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
So what did Hokie do?

lol...who me?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So what did Hokie do?

lol...who me?

WWHD?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So what did Hokie do?

lol...who me?

Where's my WWHD? bracelet...?

edit: Nicely played, PosterChild!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#45]
...WWHD...

Well, I'm a project manager with a number of foreman, operators, and laborers that follow my lead.  They're taxed to conduct themselves in accordance with the level of professionalism I portray and demand from my team.  I have no choice but to lead by example and did the only honorable thing a self respecting construction manager could do.

I dropped the clipboard and ran that thieven' piece of dogshit across the yellow caution tape and 100 yards offsite.  As I approached him I further threatened to crush his ass if I ever saw him peddlin' around town or anywhere near this town.  My guys started yelling over my shoulder which was funny, and summarily did the trick.  He jumped in his truck and disappeared immediately.  The foreman grabbed his plate # and gave it to the police detail that showed up later that afternoon.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
...WWHD...

Well, I'm a project manager with a number of foreman, operators, and laborers that follow my lead.  They're taxed to conduct themselves in accordance with the level of professionalism I portray and demand from my team.  I have no choice but to lead by example and did the only honorable thing a self respecting construction manager could do.

I dropped the clipboard and ran that thieven' piece of dogshit across the yellow caution tape and 100 yards offsite.  As I approached him I further threatened to crush his ass if I ever saw him peddlin' around town or anywhere near this town.  My guys started yelling over my shoulder which was funny, and summarily did the trick.  He jumped in his truck and disappeared immediately.  The foreman grabbed his plate # and gave it to the police detail that showed up later that afternoon.  

No fair.  That wasn't a poll option.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...WWHD...

No fair.  That wasn't a poll option.

It was buried deep in the "Draw Down" option
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

[Inspects generator for the blue paint my former boss used to cover his equipment with]

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#49]
next time the power goes out in my house in February and I'm up at 0430 in my dark freezing garage with a LED headlamp, bathrobe, and sandals grilling a saucepan of water so my lil' daughter can have a warm bottle of milk....

I'll revisit my decision and hope I made the right call!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
...WWHD...

Geez.... you're so judgemental man!  I mean that could have been the generator of some 90 year old lady just looking to get rid of it after her diabetic husband died.  Nice going, now this non-existant lady will not be able to eat thanks to you not buying the reasonably priced equipment offered for sale in the normal way old ladies market thier tools!

It could have been like, like speakers too man.  This was like that.  You know, they made like a Honda clone and were selling it like totally legally out the truck they use for such things.  That could totally be what happened.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top