Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 11:33:52 PM EDT
ARRRGH!!

I bought a set of tipton rods, and the 16 piece brass jag set (I bought this when I got my Remmy PSS)

So, Im cleaning my rifle tonight...attempting to use this fancy Tipton setup.

I grab the 30 cal jag, and a patch (the rifle is .308)

I CANT PUSH THE DAMN THING THROUGH THE BARREL!!!
It is so tight, that it ends up getting the patch stuck...and I end up pushing it out from the other end.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

I am using the correct size jag, and a patch that is about 2 inches square. (is that too big?)

How do I use this thing?...please help.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the patch is too big.  Some jag tips are made to have a fitted patch centered on the point of the jag and pushed through the barrel whereas some others have the patch wrapped around the jag.  You need to figure out which you have and then get a patch that fits snug.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#2]
the patch is too big/thick.

My patches for .308 are only about 1.5" square. It also depends on the brand. The patches from Butch's Bore Shine are a hell of a lot thicker and stiffer than the other stuff, and as a result are harder to push through, but it's still possible (and really cleans).
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Wrong patch/jag combination!

Lots of variance out there with both – you’ll have to experiment to find what works best.

In the interim, use a pair of scissors to trim down your patches till they fit properly.  Or, depending on the type jag you’re using, you can sometimes offset the patch to make it a bit less tight as it goes through the bore.

Be careful about using an extremely tight patch since you actually can bend or break a cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice guys...I went out and bought some thinner patches (never even crossed my mind...DUH!)

Ive always used the OTIS system, so I guess I never thought about it before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top