Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 7:38:15 PM EDT
Why would they worry about their healthcare system(or their school system)?

Latino community fears pork plant controversy will spark hate
Kelly Hessedal
www.wqad.com/Global/story.asp?S=4528276&nav=1sW7
MOLINE - The debate over a new East Moline pork plant is prompting the Latino community in the Quad Cities to speak out.

They're concerned the plant is spawning racism and unfair stereotypes about Mexican workers. They held an anti-hate rally on Monday afternoon at the Moline Community Center to address some of the comments pork plant opponents have been making.

Some have called the pork plant an illegal alien magnet that will bring crime and drain the healthcare system. But Latino leaders say these comments are made out of fear and ignorance.  
(FEAR YES, Ignorance, NO, that is what is most likely to happen)

They also say it's too soon to make these arguments because the plant isn't even here yet and the workforce hasn't been established. They fear negative stereotyping will spread hate across the community.

"I don't have an interest in the pork plant, but I do have an interest in humanity," said Eva Savala, a member of the Latino community. "This is going to increase anti-immigrant sentiments in this area."

"We need to start breaking barriers and have an honest discussion about issues," added Esteban Loustanau, VP of Casa Guanajuato.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#1]
What do Mexicans have to do with pork plants?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]
simple solution: CHECK THE EMPLOYEES BEFORE HIRING. If they have to check employees, there will be no question. Why isnt this a law yet?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Pork comes from pigs, not from plants.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Pork comes from pigs, not from plants.

Or so you think.....
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The meat packing industry has been "occupied" by the illegals, much
as the construction, food and housekeeping industries have been
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish I had a Pork Plant.  I would water it and fertalize it and make sure it got plenty of sun!
I love pork.

I thought pork came from pigs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The meat packing industry has been "occupied" by the illegals, much
as the construction, food and housekeeping industries have been

+1

The packing plants find the cheapest labor possible. When one group of people realizes they are getting screwed, and demands more money, and better treatment, the packing plant cans them and replaces them with a group that is more ignorant and money hungry, willing to work for less then the previous group did.

I lived, for 20 years, 7 miles away froma town of 12,000 people that has 2 meat processing plants, and know first hand what they do to a community.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#8]
"They're concerned the plant is spawning racism and unfair stereotypes about Mexican workers illegals reputation is getting too well known."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top