Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/21/2006 2:57:20 PM EDT
People down here are getting ridiculous.

I'm personally getting sick of people with their (dog, cat, bird, monkey, etc.) in local stores and malls. Now restraunts? Leave your freaking animal at home.

Pet lovers push legislators to allow dogs in restaurants, if cities say OK

Dogs could soon get the chance to legally go out for a bite at your favorite restaurant.

Although the state outlaws patrons dining with their dogs, even on outdoor patios, that could change. Legislators are ready to consider letting individual cities ignore the statewide ban as part of a three-year pilot program.

"There is a huge need for this," said Tina Valant-Siebelts, 44, of Boca Raton, a professional photographer with five Australian shepherds. "People want to spend time with their dogs because dogs are the kids of the new millennium."

The debate began two years ago after a downtown Orlando restaurant not only allowed dogs on its patio, but offered doggie menu items as well. The state Department of Business & Professional Regulation, citing the law, told the restaurant to stop or face a fine up to $1,000 a day.

It stopped, but the incident forced all restaurants in the area to quit allowing dogs. That led thousands of pet owners to sniff out friendly legislators.

"I was shocked at the amount of lobbying for it," said state Rep. Susan Goldstein, R-Weston, who was on the House Business Regulation Committee that heard arguments on the measure last month. The state Legislature will debate the issue at the 60-day session that begins on March 7.

Although doggie dining is common in Europe, the demand for it hasn't been great in South Florida. However, not all cities actively enforce the state restriction.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:00:07 PM EDT
Hmmm. Dogs humping next to where I'm eating.

Now that's entertainment!

Or, not.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:00:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 3:01:25 PM EDT by clement]
What about considerations for those with allergies?

Plus I don't think it is a good idea at all, I know people love their dogs and all but if you can't leave them at home for an hour or so for you to go out and eat, maybe you shouldn't have gotten a dog?

Not to mention how out of control some peoples pets are.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:01:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:01:55 PM EDT
Can't smoke in a restaurant but dogs are OK.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:03:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:05:06 PM EDT
The Romans used to have big feasts. During the dining, they would throw their scraps on the floor to feed the dogs that hung around. As the dogs walked by, the Romans would wipe their hands on the dogs' fur.

This might really catch on again at a good buffett here in the US. Take yours on your next visit to a Chinese buffett.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:06:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:
"There is a huge need for this," said Tina Valant-Siebelts, 44, of Boca Raton, a professional photographer with five Australian shepherds. "People want to spend time with their dogs because dogs are the kids of the new millennium."

Uh, no.

Women with hyphenated names and multiple pets are the crazy ladies of the new millenium.

What he said.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:13:43 PM EDT
As long as the law allows me to take my cat in, I'm ok with it. I wonder if Applebee's has 9 Lives Super Supper?

Just kidding.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:16:11 PM EDT
This is for all those hags who want to be the queen of all hags, Paris Hilton, by carrying around a little F-ing rat everywhere they go.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:16:37 PM EDT
Dog is a fine meal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:17:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:17:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tanam:
Dog is a fine meal.

I had korean food last night.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:04:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

Another one who let her bio clock wind down and now wants to shove her dogs up everybody else's ass.

"Dogs are the kids of the new millennium."

Only someone without kids could make such a stupid remark with a straight face. Sporadically I exchange email with a woman I dated in my early twenties. In one I enclosed a picture with my daughter at her college graduation. She responded with a picture of her two shepheds and then attempted to draw an equivalency. They just don't get it and never will.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:07:50 PM EDT
The only proper place for animals in a restaurant is next to the mashed potatoes. I will not eat at a "animal-friendly" place. The only exception would be for legitimate assistance dogs. No monkeys!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:08:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Will-Rogers:
The only proper place for animals in a restaurant is next to the mashed potatoes. I will not eat at a "animal-friendly" place. The only exception would be for legitimate assistance dogs. No monkeys!

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:13:58 PM EDT
I know this woman who brings her "rat on a rope" to restaurants.

She has this big designer purse that she hides her "baby" in.

Nasty.

She also dresses it in designer dog fashions...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:15:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TomHighway:
This might really catch on again at a good buffett here in the US. Take yours on your next visit to a Chinese buffett.

Walk in with your pet walk out with a full stomach.

Another thing that gets me is when some ones dog dies and others try and condole them. with i am sorry for your lose. its a damn pet nothing more.

I like my dog more then most people and treat her better too. but once she dies i am shopping for a bull terrier.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:20:29 PM EDT
When I was in Germany you were allowed to take your dog into restaurants, malls etc. You were also required to carry a $1,000,000 mark insurance policy and were legally responsible for what your dog did. Gog got loose and caused an accident? You're liable!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:40:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 5:42:56 PM EDT by TravisJ1]

Originally Posted By clement:
What about considerations for those with allergies?

Plus I don't think it is a good idea at all, I know people love their dogs and all but if you can't leave them at home for an hour or so for you to go out and eat, maybe you shouldn't have gotten a dog?

Not to mention how out of control some peoples pets kids are.

I know that's what you really meant!

Travis
Top Top