Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/21/2006 2:26:27 PM EDT
Texas Deputy Fires Gun At Teens Accused Of Stealing Beer

Updated: February 21st, 2006 05:45 PM EDT

Story by click2houston.com

A deputy fired his gun at two teens during a chase in northwest Harris County Monday morning that started over stolen beer, authorities told KPRC Local 2.

Investigators with the Harris County Sheriff's Department said the deputy was off work but still in uniform when he saw the robbery suspects running away from the Valero gas station on Clay Road near Jura Drive with beer in their hands at about 12:30 a.m.

The deputy told investigators he knew something was wrong when he pulled into the parking lot to stop the teens.

"One of them turned around and pointed what appears to be a semi-automatic weapon at the deputy. The deputy discharged several rounds," Detective Scott Ashmore said.

Deputies arrested one of the teens and said he could face an aggravated robbery charge.

The other teen fled the scene. Authorities said they are not sure if the teen who fled was shot.

Detectives said both suspects are 17 years old.

Regular customers who KPRC Local 2 spoke with said they are worried about their safety at the convenience store.

"It kind of, makes me a little scared now. I have to look over my shoulder as I come to this store. I used to feel comfortable. I've lost my comfort now," customer Lesa Brandon said.

The store's manager told KPRC Local 2 that beer runs are not a big problem.

An armed beer run? Beer runs are usually filed as petty theft. You can make a weak case for burglary, but petty theft is more common.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:30:08 PM EDT
Did the beer come out ok?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:37:16 PM EDT
So do the punk thieves make people uncomfortable at the store now or an officer doing his duty??
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:37:39 PM EDT
Why can't cops hit ANYTHING they are shooting at?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:38:47 PM EDT
We have friends that live very close to that area...I'll pass this on to him in case he hadn't seen it.

HH
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:39:05 PM EDT
Ok what arfcom cop was it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:40:25 PM EDT
OMG It's a War on Beer now!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:40:58 PM EDT
From the news video it was Corona in a bottle. Not all survived.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:44:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
An armed beer run? Beer runs are usually filed as petty theft. You can make a weak case for burglary, but petty theft is more common.

Wouldn't it be labeled armed robbery now?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:45:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Did the beer come out ok?

Here's a man with his priorities straight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:45:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Itchy:

images.ibsys.com/2006/0221/7286633_240X180.jpg

They should have been shot.

Corona is dog piss.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:47:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Originally Posted By Itchy:

images.ibsys.com/2006/0221/7286633_240X180.jpg

They should have been shot.

Corona is dog piss.

I concur. After closer examination, it was Corona LIGHT.

Some punk kids almost got their asses shot for a Corona Light.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:37:07 PM EDT

"One of them turned around and pointed what appears to be a semi-automatic weapon at the deputy. The deputy discharged several rounds," Detective Scott Ashmore said.

Sounds like the title should have been, "Off duty officer intervenes in armed robbery of a convenience store."

wganz

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:41:36 PM EDT

- Doesn't matter if they simply stole the beer from the clerk. If they used or implied a weapon during their attempt to leave the scene and complete the offense it becomes armed robbery (atleast around here)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:42:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stainless:

Uh, do some research. The average shooter won't do any better than the average LEO when responding to sudden threats (as in this case).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:45:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NCPatrolAR:

Uh, do some research. The average shooter won't do any better than the average LEO when responding to sudden threats (as in this case).

Yeah but the cops get so much practice shooting dogs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:46:06 PM EDT

Well, was there a gun or not?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:47:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 3:48:25 PM EDT by LARRYG]

You must have missed this thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=439151

Guy had 5 hits on bad guy in 5 shots and saved a cop.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:47:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:

Yeah but the cops get so much practice shooting dogs.

Those are lower to the ground and more of a horizontal target than a verticle one. If the person was laying down you might have a point.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:50:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LARRYG:

Yeah, one case doesn't change the average. There are countless shottings where the officer(s) involved makes solid hits on the threat also. Also the shooter in that particular incident had it a hair bit easier since he wasn't responding directly to a threat to his person. The siutation you find yourself in greatly impacts what you do.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:51:18 PM EDT
He hates these cans. Stay away from the cans.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:51:28 PM EDT

Yeah, one case doesn't change the average. There are countless shottings where the officer(s) involved makes solid hits on the threat also. Also the shooter in that particular incident had it a hair bit easier since he wasn't responding directly to a threat to his person. The siutation you find yourself in greatly impacts what you do.

Forgive me for not buying into the "we are more trained than you" mantra.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:53:52 PM EDT

Forgive me for not buying into the "we are more trained than you" mantra.

Good because I'm not pitching it. If anything, that's the argueent you are putting up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:54:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:55:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:55:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 3:56:40 PM EDT by LARRYG]

Good because I'm not pitching it. If anything, that's the argueent you are putting up.

Nope, not putting up any argument, that's just how your statement came across.

If you'll notice that I was not the one that made the comment about cops not hitting anything.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:57:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoVaGator:

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:58:14 PM EDT

Nope, not putting up any argument, that's just how your statement came across.

If you'll notice that I was not the one that made the comment about cops not hitting anything.

Because I said that the average shooter would respond in pretty much the same manner that the average LEO would? Wow, you can't even make a statement about people's skills being level around here
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:59:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoVaGator:

DIE GAS PUMPER!!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:08:06 PM EDT

Well, was there a gun or not?

Why does the word "Airsoft" come to mind?

Someone pointing a gun at you, while both of you are moving, and you are trying to decide whether or not it's legal/right to shoot tends to throw off a feller's aim.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:10:25 PM EDT

And they say we don't need machineguns.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:37:52 PM EDT
[Dazed and Confused] "Donny, give the beer back, man." "I paid for the beer, man." [/Dazed and Confused]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:01:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 7:02:58 PM EDT by PaDanby]
to imply the average citizen is a shooter with the abilities of some arfcommers with pistols is far more ludicrous than saying the average LEO is a poorer shooter than the average citizen, or even average arfcommer.

Hey it was dark doesn't that make it a good Texas shoot anyway??
Top Top