Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/21/2006 8:43:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 8:45:13 AM EDT by Ring]

news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20060221/bs_prweb/prweb348992_1

(PRWEB) - (PRWEB) February 21, 2006 -- Conservative t-shirt maker MetroSpy set off a firestorm when their newest design depicted a caricature of the prophet Mohammed with a bomb wrapped in his turban. According to Islamic tradition, graphic depictions of the Prophet Mohammed are forbidden. MetroSpy's apparent disregard for this tradition has outraged many in the Muslim world, prompting some to voice their displeasure by sending the company hate-filled email, online viruses and even death threats.

Johnathan Alexander, MetroSpy's production manager, says he's never seen anything like it. “It's a silly little cartoon. We've sold designs far more offensive than this for years”, referring to a t shirt which reads, “My Jesus can beat up your Allah.”
“For people to become so enraged over a drawing that they resort to burning down buildings and threatening to kill people is something I'll never understand,” Alexander said.
In one email the person writes, “We kill you and burn your shop. I am Muslim with forces in the U.S.A.”
Another email claims to be from the terrorist group Al Qaeda. It reads, “You only have 5 days and your company will disappear. I promise!” The email is signed, Saalem Al Qahtani, Al Qaeda.
One of the more disturbing messages simply says, “In two days we kill your family."
Over the past few days, MetroSpy has begun posting some of the emails on their website ([www.shopmetrospy.com/).
According to Alexander, “Ever since we started posting the messages along with the sender's return address, the volume of hate mail has slowed down and the tone has changed considerably. In fact, some of the more recent comments could be considered polite.”
In an email which was traced to Saudi Arabia, the writer asks, “Could you guys do a favor? Please eliminate this picture from your goods because it's very embarrassing to our religion. If you do that, it would be a greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.”
Another says, “I am sending this e-mail and I hope that you understand that what you are doing is offending more than a billion people in the world. I hope that your sales with other stuff be billions but not for this one offending product.”
Altogether, MetroSpy has received more than five hundred hate emails and attempted virus attacks.
Donia Saber of Elk Grove, California is an Islamic activist who writes, “I am deeply offended at the t-shirt company MetroSpy. Selling shirts with a picture of the Prophet is unacceptable and I assure you the Muslim community will not tolerate this.”
Despite protests over their offending design, MetroSpy plans to continue selling the t-shirts. As a precautionary measure however, MetroSpy has increased its security, sought the advice of a private investigative agency and remain in close contact with federal and local authorities.

www.shopmetrospy.com/cgi-bin/cNc/showPage.plx?db=shopmetro&pid=70

more emails at the page..
Excerpts:

Dear workers and stuff of Metrospy,
Could you tell us why are you doing that to Muslims...!!!! Most of you are gays and your sisters are lebians. Your moms too....This is your civilisation...I thing -- Bye!!

To: MetroSpy
You are dirty man. Still you as cow man. No respect, no religion and no polite. We see forever all USA men come from fornicators or adulterers so we are not strange when hear this from impudent. Go to hell! We will kill you as soon as we meet you at once. Really you are atheist man. Go still to bark for all people.

You are dead mother f*cker. We will keep you staying sometimes and will send you to the HELL. See you next month in your house.

2 days or we killing your family.

LOL..
These T-shirts of prophet Mohammed is not acceptable. Please take it a way. This is like invitation for terorists to attack your country. Islam is very peacful relgion.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:36:53 AM EDT
I ordered one for me, last week.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:39:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:

Me too.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:40:27 AM EDT
AGNTSA

that one highlighted in red,

WOW
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:43:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:

Me too.

+1
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:22:56 PM EDT
Okay, while I have no doubt that the guy has received e-mails from people who are genuinely pissed off (Muslim or not), some of those e-mails reek of pranksters just yanking the guys chain.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:02:28 PM EDT
I ordered one two days after I first saw the shirts for sale in a headline on DrudgeReport.

It still hasn't arrived and I think it's been almost two weeks now. I'm guessing they might be a little backed up on orders for this one.

I'm looking forward to the first "offended" person to get in my face about he shirt.

"You want me to respect your religion but you won't respect my right to free speech?"

John
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:36:28 AM EDT
git 'em while the gittin's good, i sez!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:39:11 AM EDT

MetroSpy's apparent disregard for this tradition has outraged many in the Muslim world

I can think of a few traditions that some other folks aren't regarding.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:42:17 AM EDT
It was bound to happen.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:47:36 AM EDT
Fuck 'em! Do they come in black in 2XXL?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:51:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:53:59 AM EDT
"If you do not cease selling these t-shirts, we will very peacefully saw your family's heads off with a butcher knife. In the name of peace."
Top Top