Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 6:49:42 AM EDT
Not my service not my email.   just thought i would share

Dear Member,

On your next billing date, we will be increasing the monthly fee for your AOL® Unlimited Use Plan to $25.90.  This price change, our first in over four years, helps us continue to provide you with reliable Internet service including security features, exclusive content, member service and support.  Over the past two years, we’ve spent more than $2 billion to provide the convenience, safety features and reliability you’ve come to expect from AOL.  You continue to get great benefits under your AOL Unlimited Use Plan, including:

The most comprehensive set of automatic online safety tools – all located in one place – to help protect you from identity theft, spyware, and viruses.
     * 24/7 live customer support by phone, email or Instant Messaging that allows us to be there whenever you need us.
     * Access anywhere, anytime to your AOL® Mail, AOL content and your AOL address book from any Internet-connected computer.  Even when you’re away from home you can get there through www.aol.com, over a dial-up or high-speed connection.
     * Help protecting your important files with unlimited storage for digital photos and unlimited email storage.
Go to AOL Keyword: My Account, or http://bill.aol.com on the web to find out your exact billing date and more information about your plan.

We look forward to continuing to provide you with the best online experience possible—today and in the future. Thanks again for being an AOL member.

Sincerely,
The AOL Member Service Team
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this $26/mo for broadband or dial-up service?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#2]
AOL blows.  I hope no one is using them unless they are the only alternative.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#3]
AOL is for people who dont have a clue...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#4]
dial up
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Want a better internet?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:53:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Aol Sucks

Max
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Is AOL still owned by Time-Warner, when T-W took over Netscape, they fired all of the Netscape programmers responsible for Netscape 5.0, and then said "oops,"  they manage to "partially resurrect" the Netcape browser by using Mozilla Firefox and putting on a new "skin" and called it Netscape version 7, or something like that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#8]
How much of an increase is it?

Why does a company not have the right to increase their price after FOUR YEARS  of no increase?

If you just did a cost of living increase (4%) for each of those four years from a starting price of $19.99, the price would be 23.40.

Are they starting for a $10 a month price or something for you all to get your panties in such a buch.

Capitalism means they can charge whatever people are willing to pay.  God bless America.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#9]
AOL is so last century
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#10]
<----has AOL
but it is free with Time Warner Broadband
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:14:21 AM EDT
[#11]
why no love for AOL?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How much of an increase is it?

Why does a company not have the right to increase their price after FOUR YEARS  of no increase?

If you just did a cost of living increase (4%) for each of those four years from a starting price of $19.99, the price would be 23.40.

Are they starting for a $10 a month price or something for you all to get your panties in such a buch.

Capitalism means they can charge whatever people are willing to pay.  God bless America.

Has anyone suggested they CANT?  Or do we have to do a happy dance when they do?

As a DSL user I could care less, but I can't see paying over $25 bucks for dialup unless there is simply NO other choice.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
why no love for AOL?

1.  The software is a bloated, buggy POS.  I'm a freelance computer tech and AOL, along with Norton Internet Security, is the number 1 piece of problem causing software I see.
2.  It floods your computer with garbage.  AOL, AOL Coach version, Port Magic, AIM, etc, etc, etc.
3.  Their security software is a joke, I see more contaminated computer with all the AOL anti spyware and anti virus software on it than any other protective software.
3.  Their internet connectivity is horrible
4.  Their internet connectivity is way over priced.
5.  Their email service is horrible.
6.  With an AOL email address you are plainly marked for everyone to see as a clueless newb and nothing you say will have an ounce of weight to any internet users with any kind of experience.

I could probably think of a few more, but it's not worth the effort.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#14]
This should be the last straw to finally get my parents off AOL.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
why no love for AOL?

1.  The software is a bloated, buggy POS.  I'm a freelance computer tech and AOL, along with Norton Internet Security, is the number 1 piece of problem causing software I see.
2.  It floods your computer with garbage.  AOL, AOL Coach version, Port Magic, AIM, etc, etc, etc.
3.  Their security software is a joke, I see more contaminated computer with all the AOL anti spyware and anti virus software on it than any other protective software.
3.  Their internet connectivity is horrible
4.  Their internet connectivity is way over priced.
5.  Their email service is horrible.
6.  With an AOL email address you are plainly marked for everyone to see as a clueless newb and nothing you say will have an ounce of weight to any internet users with any kind of experience.

I could probably think of a few more, but it's not worth the effort.

Could enough explanation for me!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:43:04 AM EDT
[#16]
AOL always meant "assholes on line", always will.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Amateur On Line
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I didn't know people still used AOL...  

$25.90 for dialup is just absurd.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#19]
HMMMMMMM Let me think here. I can have dial up that disconnects every 2-5 minutes, bloats my computer with useless programs, a nifty @aol email address that's get 50+ spams a day and browse the web at 56k all for $26 a month
                                              or
Have cable with a firewall and minimum add on programs spam free email that's never disconnects and connects and downloads 50-100 times faster for $9 more
Discussions discussions
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#20]
LoL @ AOL
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#21]
AOL was my first internet service 10 years ago.  I think it serves as a great starter tool for first time onliners.  Easy to use and guides a person through the process of learning to get around the internet.  I remember paying something like $2.99 an HOUR and was still with them when they converted to !9.99 a month.  Once I went cable, I continued to keep AOL as a backup because our local cable wasn't always dependable. AOL was also handy when I traveled, local access numbers all over the country.  I've long since dropped AOL but I think it serves a valid need.  

Lois
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
AOL blows.  I hope no one is using them unless they are the only alternative.

+1 I find it hard to respect anyone who uses AOheLL. Idiots use crack and AOL.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#24]
AOHell has always sucked
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Gee....no elitist bullshit here.  WTF do you guys care what provider other people use?  What, are you gonna thumb your nose at a guy just because he uses AOL?  Grow the fuck up kiddies.  Christ.  The thought of some of you kids with firearms scares me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Gee....no elitist bullshit here.  WTF do you guys care what provider other people use?  What, are you gonna thumb your nose at a guy just because he uses AOL?  Grow the fuck up kiddies.  Christ.  The thought of some of you kids with firearms scares me.

lighten up francis
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Just like the bully on the playground, putting down other people for having systems "inferior" to theirs, makes them feel better about themselves.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't recommend AOL just for the reason that people have asked me for help (friends asking for free help) with it--because it installs all this shit automatically, that starts up when the computer boots. And if any of those programs don't work right, it can be a damn struggle to get in there and disable their startups. The AOL software that I saw (a couple months back was the last time) didn't have any allowance for "optional" startup, or even the option to uninstall the shit.

I dunno how the rest of it is: security software, service, email, ect.,,, but where I am it's cheaper to go with regular DSL now ($15/mo, if you pay a year up front) but a lot of people who go with AOL seem to think it'll be easier to use. They don't often know about things like---how to find and install a free chat program, or even how to find a chat program, or where to ask online about what chat programs there are and how you get them. "The icon with the globe" is their web browser, they don't know that you can get anything besides IE, or why you would want to. So they want something that literally installs everything for you and tries to work totally automatically all the time.
~
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#29]
AOL = America Off Line

AOL is dying a slow death. Dialup will eventually disappear. Sadly, AOL is trying to make money and by data mining their member's information and selling stuff to them. That being the case, the service should be free.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I don't recommend AOL just for the reason that people have asked me for help (friends asking for free help) with it--because it installs all this shit automatically, that starts up when the computer boots. And if any of those programs don't work right, it can be a damn struggle to get in there and disable their startups. The AOL software that I saw (a couple months back was the last time) didn't have any allowance for "optional" startup, or even the option to uninstall the shit.

I dunno how the rest of it is: security software, service, email, ect.,,, but where I am it's cheaper to go with regular DSL now ($15/mo, if you pay a year up front) but a lot of people who go with AOL seem to think it'll be easier to use. They don't often know about things like---how to find and install a free chat program, or even how to find a chat program, or where to ask online about what chat programs there are and how you get them. "The icon with the globe" is their web browser, they don't know that you can get anything besides IE, or why you would want to. So they want something that literally installs everything for you and tries to work totally automatically all the time.
~

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!  $15 a month?!?!?!  That's FANTASTIC!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:53:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I’m a Verizon DSL man myself, whats AOL?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:02:45 AM EDT
[#32]
You can get dial-up from a good local provider for like $15.00 a month these days.

AOL just resells these dialups with their crap software slapped on top.

Why would anybody use them?

I ask a friend of mine this very question and the answer went something like “But I’ve got a really good screen name!”

This guy knows that AOL just resells (We both did UUnet support) He pays for cable internet access.

But that $25 a month is worth it to him for the really neato cool “screen name.”
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top