Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2006 5:04:18 PM EDT
I need to get a new cordless drill, I like the 12.0v to 14.0 v models, I want to get a good one so it's going to be in the $175 to $200 range.

What brand is holding up the best?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
dewalt
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Go 18 volt.  Seriously you should always go with more power.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Dewalt XRP. The 14.4 has 400 lbs torque and metal transmission.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Go 18 volt.  Seriously you should always go with more power.

I feel that size is too big and bulky.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Dewalt or Ryobi.  I do heating and air and it's nothing for me to put in 2000 zip in sheet metal screws a day.  Both of them hold up to it and being dropped out of attics onto foundations.  My 2 dewalts are 5 years old and My ryobi is about a year old.  It's 18 volt and has a nice magnent to hold extra screws.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Makita, although with the exception of the Craftsmans, all your options are great choices.

Ditto on the 18V, BTW.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Dewalts and Milwaukee's are good. The Hitachi drills are pretty good. Ryobi sucks!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#8]
You Failed to include Bosch..... I don't want to start a tool war but, I have had them all and lots of them. The Dewalts are my second choice. But I now use only Bosch in my business. I think we have about 10 of them and we use the 14.4 volt model. The best cordless, if money is no option is believe it or not the Panasonic. The drill is the only power tool they make. I will argue with anyone about their quality.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:20:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have beaten the hell out of my Ryobi 18v and have had absolutly no problems at all with it.  You should always go 18v though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag cause I'm in the market!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for DeWalt.  Excellent products IMO.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Top end is hands down PANASONIC.  

Good homeowners drill - Ryobi
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#13]
RIDGID!!!!!
By far the best drill Ive ever used.  My dad has XRPs and they are nice and all but you cant beat ridgids warranty on the drill or batteries. They are made to be beaten to death and still go. If you cant tell I love mine
www.ridgid.com/Tools/R84015-18V-Drill/
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Dewalt XRP. The 14.4 has 400 lbs torque and metal transmission.

+eleventybillion

I wouldnt use anything else.  Nothing else comes close.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The 18v models that I handled where big and heavy, if I need to have that size I will just run an extension cord and use a regular drill.

But I wll keep it in mind.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I do heating and air and it's nothing for me to put in 2000 zip in sheet metal screws a day.

Dude, 2000? With all the posting you do here you aren't using 200 a week.

In all honesty I have a bucket of 500 in the back of my van now and it will last me a month. Then again I do service and installs, not a lot of duct, if you are knocking tin I can see you using a bucket every couple of days but not 2K in one day.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I didn't even know  Panasonic made tools!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#18]
very happy with Panasonic impact driver.  Best battery around.  Fast charging.  Reasonably durable.  If you want to spend less than $200, check out the Rigid 14V impact driver.  It is compact and is supposedly rated at 1400 in lbs of torque, which is generally way more than you need.

Someone may be able to clue me in, but unless there is a specific need for clutch settings, I cannot imagine a situation where an impact driver would not beat the daylights off of any cordless driver/hammer drill.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Top end is hands down PANASONIC.  

Good homeowners drill - Ryobi

People in the trades buy quality and the Panasonic is a killer drill. I just have too many of them disapear over time. Also I have so many more Bosch tool's that use Bosch batteries.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't forget about the best Swiss technology and precision in tools, HILTI.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I didn't even know  Panasonic made tools!

They only make cordless drills and they are first class, Battery and clutch technology is superior to anything else out there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
very happy with Panasonic impact driver.  Best battery around.  Fast charging.  Reasonably durable.  If you want to spend less than $200, check out the Rigid 14V impact driver.  It is compact and is supposedly rated at 1400 in lbs of torque, which is generally way more than you need.

Someone may be able to clue me in, but unless there is a specific need for clutch settings, I cannot imagine a situation where an impact driver would not beat the daylights off of any cordless driver/hammer drill.

Couldn't agree more... I own both and use both daily. The panasonic impact drill is small and powerful and the little light is a life saver sometimes.

The rigid is tough and full of torque, only thing I don't like is my 14.4v has a 3/8 head, I wanted the 1/2 for the bigger attachments.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#23]
minor correction on Panasonic-- they have made circular saws and I think they have made reciprocating saws.  

My one gripe about them is that they seem a tad on the delicate side.  I tend to drop things and swear a lot and my impact driver has some of its shock absorbing inlay peeling off.  But it has more than paid for itself, and it can drive ridiculous bits and lag screws for its size.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#24]
i have no real opinion, but i have a good friend in the construction and roofing business, every power tool he owns is dewalt. has over $30k in dewalt tools for his crews. That says something to me. They'd get my vote.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Dewalt.  The 12V is a perfect balance of power VS weight.  The 14V is more powerful, but a touch heavy for my taste.  The 18V is too danged heavy to be a one-handed drill/driver for me.

I bought a used 12V dewalt 5 years ago off ebay, roofed 3 metal buildings with it, and hung drywall in 3 houses with it.  It is tired now, but still going.  Not bad for 50 bucks (including charger and 3 batteries).
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Milwaukee!

I have the 18 volt, it's a beast.

Dewalt is popular on job sites around here, you can always borrow a battery, but for my money the Milwaukee is a better tool.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I have an 18v DeWalt, and have done a fair amount of heavy work with it, and dropped it on concrete more than my clumsy self would like to admit to.  She runs like a clock.

That being said, the posts about the Panasonic intrigues me.  I have never heard anything bad about a Panasonic product in any line, and have heard a lot of great things about them
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#28]
My Porter Cable 12V is easily the best cordless drill I've ever owned.  I searched on other tool forums for a week before I made my decision.  It was a tossup between Porter Cable and DeWalt.  The Porter won out primarily because DeWalt seems to have issues with chucks that are not centered.  I also think it feels better, handles better, and has a better charging system.

Either would be a fine choice, but if you get DeWalt, be sure to get their top line, XCR or whatever it is.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I depend on my cordless drills to make my living, and I feel that Bosch makes an excellent quality drill.  I have used the DeWalt XRP's, and they are good quality also.

ETA:  Ryobis are crap.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have an 18w DeWalt, and have done a fair amount of heavy work with it, and dropped it on concrete more than my clumsy self would like to admit to.  She runs like a clock.

That being said, the posts about the Panasonic intrigues me.  I have never heard anything bad about a Panasonic product in any line, and have heard a lot of great things about them

I have dropped my DeWalt 14.4 XRP off of a 200 foot tower and had it bounce a good 6 feet into the air when it hit, and worked just fine (and still works great) after I got down to go get it.  Extremely tough.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, I'm clearly in the minority here (what's new?), but I still like my Makita's. In fact mine are so old, I still have the metal carrying case's they came in.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#32]
What country are these brands made in?

Panasonic

Bosch

Ridgid

Hitachi

Thanks everyone for the replys, very helpfull.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Be careful with dewalt. They make some good products but they also have a low dollar line that is junk.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Don't forget about the best Swiss technology and precision in tools, HILTI.

+!

I wouldn't take anything for my Hilti Drill.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm a carpenter so this is definitely my topic! Well let's see, Milwaukee 18v( have one) their durable and reliable but not ergonomic nor light. If your running screws all day you don't want one! I work with a plumber who uses the Panasonic, it's  not cheap but surprisingly comfortable and light, and he's had it for 5+ years so pretty durable. Dewalt is light, and even their 14v (doesn't even have to be XRP) has more power and better charge then a similar Ryobi. Their comfortable too, I have one for my duraspin setup, and have the 6+ tool set + cordless electric finishgun. ... Bosch is not bad either, I don't have one but a finish carpenter I work with does and loves it! Has all Bosch tools, and Festool as well. Light, pretty powerful and comfortable. The cats ass right now, (Besides Mil 24v Lithium and Dewalt 36v lith) are makita 18v, not cheap but I'm seriously thinking of buying one. Have played with it extensively at the store, and am very impressed. It's lighter than a standard 18v, has more power, due to 4 brush motor VERY comfortable grip and significently better battery life and recharges due to lithium technology. Can hold a charge for YEARS..rather then weeks or months....and has no memory so you never have to expend the charge and THEN charge it! Also the battery release is MUCH smoother and trouble free the most screwguns...just one large button on the front, not two separate realeases on either side that stiffen up or jam after time. Ryobi, have the biggest 18v set for home, came with useless stuff like a mini vac and a chain saw....But not bad for the price. Decent power, not that comfortable but better then a milwaukee, Plastic chuck that unfortunately cannot be swapped out for a a metal aftermarket one. That's definitely something you should watch out for, I do like the little magnet they placed on the front and the level! It all depends on what your going to use it for, if it's just crap around the house you could get away with a black and decker! But if that crap turns into a Project (additions, decks, etc. , then you'll want to  invest into a pricier gun. OH, almost forgot craftsman, the 19.2 is similar to a ryobi, maybe a step or too up, I used a guys at a job and wasn't too impressed, but then he didn't spend that much either... Have fun!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#36]
My porter-cable that I got at Costco is pretty badass.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I went with the Milwaukee 18v. Ive had it for almost two years and use it almost everyday at work to loosen/tighten a 3 jaw lathe chuck. This is about a 12" chuck that sometimes gets loaded up with metal shavings in the screws but the milwaukee has alot of power. If you dont set the torque adjustment it will rip your arm off.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#38]
That is SOOOO Bad Ass.  I think I actually have a somewhat emotional attachment to my DeWalt.  I'm just a Yuppie White Collar Fag (figuratively, not literally here folks....I really dig chicks...probably too much) who is a Red Neck Wannabe (notice I live in Kentucky) that occasionally attacks some fair sized projects and abuses my drill (the tool, not the biological appendage) both in use and in negligence.

My DeWalt has held up.

Dare I say I like the Yellow on Black color scheme as well?  I remember a DeWalt AR15 being posted on here for awhile.  I'd love to see it again.

Quoted:

I have dropped my DeWalt 14.4 XRP off of a 200 foot tower and had it bounce a good 6 feet into the air when it hit, and worked just fine (and still works great) after I got down to go get it.  Extremely tough.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Dewalt 18v, make sure you get the contractor grade with the metal gears inside, the standard one has wimpy pastic ones.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#40]
DeWalt
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#41]
dewalt 14 is excellent
Ryobi 18 are inexpensive but work great and last long (unlike their little brothers. Oh yeah replace the chuck with a Jacobs...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#42]
The 18V DeWALT XRP , the AK-47 of rechargeable drills.  Do it right the first time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I'm a carpenter so this is definitely my topic! Well let's see, Milwaukee 18v( have one) their durable and reliable but not ergonomic nor light. If your running screws all day you don't want one! I work with a plumber who uses the Panasonic, it's  not cheap but surprisingly comfortable and light, and he's had it for 5+ years so pretty durable. Dewalt is light, and even their 14v (doesn't even have to be XRP) has more power and better charge then a similar Ryobi. Their comfortable too, I have one for my duraspin setup, and have the 6+ tool set + cordless electric finishgun. ... Bosch is not bad either, I don't have one but a finish carpenter I work with does and loves it! Has all Bosch tools, and Festool as well. Light, pretty powerful and comfortable. The cats ass right now, (Besides Mil 24v Lithium and Dewalt 36v lith) are makita 18v, not cheap but I'm seriously thinking of buying one. Have played with it extensively at the store, and am very impressed. It's lighter than a standard 18v, has more power, due to 4 brush motor VERY comfortable grip and significently better battery life and recharges due to lithium technology. Can hold a charge for YEARS..rather then weeks or months....and has no memory so you never have to expend the charge and THEN charge it! Also the battery release is MUCH smoother and trouble free the most screwguns...just one large button on the front, not two separate realeases on either side that stiffen up or jam after time. Ryobi, have the biggest 18v set for home, came with useless stuff like a mini vac and a chain saw....But not bad for the price. Decent power, not that comfortable but better then a milwaukee, Plastic chuck that unfortunately cannot be swapped out for a a metal aftermarket one. That's definitely something you should watch out for, I do like the little magnet they placed on the front and the level! It all depends on what your going to use it for, if it's just crap around the house you could get away with a black and decker! But if that crap turns into a Project (additions, decks, etc. , then you'll want to  invest into a pricier gun. OH, almost forgot craftsman, the 19.2 is similar to a ryobi, maybe a step or too up, I used a guys at a job and wasn't too impressed, but then he didn't spend that much either... Have fun!

thats funny I put a Jacobs chuck on my 18v Ryobi no prob
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#44]
18V DeWalt!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I have had a dewalt for years, excellent drill.  I would buy one again.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thats funny I put a Jacobs chuck on my 18v Ryobi no prob

Well that may be possible, but when I looked around at the time no-one had one that said it fit the ryobi. If I need something heavier I just bring home the dewalt...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Home Depot has the chuck
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Rigid...best warranty...great product!

Dewalt is a BS hopped up overpriced black and decker!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Bosch 18V Brute.  Just TRY to bog it down. This thing is an absolute beast.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Dewalt is a BS hopped up overpriced black and decker!!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top