Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 1:09:50 PM EDT
While I was at the hotel to-day, an elderly gentleman called upon me to know whether I was really in favor of producing a perfect equality between the negroes and white people. While I had not proposed to myself on this occasion to say much on that subject, yet as the question was asked me I thought I would occupy perhaps five minutes in saying something in regard to it. I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races -- that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black

races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything. I do not understand that because I do not want a negro woman for a slave I must necessarily want her for a wife. My understanding is that I can just let her alone. I am now in my fiftieth year, and I certainly never have had a black woman for either a slave or a wife. So it seems to me quite possible for us to get along without making either slaves or wives of negroes. I will add to this that I have never seen, to my knowledge, a man, woman, or child who was in favor of producing a perfect equality, social and political, between negroes and white men.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Your post number for this thread is half of 88.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
This is relevent....Why?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Several days earlier he said almost somthing completley contrary to that.  I teach that he was much like other politicians, and just said what people wanted to hear.

Howard zinn gives a good description of this time in history in "The peoples history of the united states"  You might enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Happy President's Day to you!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to have to IBTL this one.

I'll agree with you that Lincoln didn't give a damn about slavery until he needed it to bolster his failing position later on during the war between the states.

That being said, we have enough too many yankees on this forum and one of them is sure to cancel your account. Nice knowing you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm going to have to IBTL this one.

I'll agree with you that Lincoln didn't give a damn about slavery until he needed it to bolster his failing position later on during the war between the states.

That being said, we have enough too many yankees on this forum and one of them is sure to cancel your account. Nice knowing you.

+1
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#9]

IBTLA
In before the Lincoln apologists.  

Lincoln proved beyond any doubt the old axioms:  The end justifies the means, Might makes right, and History is written by the victor.  He was a racist and a dictator, yet he is credited with saving the Union.  A man of many contradictions.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Ulysess S. Grant himself, when teaching at West Point after the war, was quoted as saying that he and other Union leaders (Lincoln, Sherman, etc) would have certainly been hanged for war crimes they had committed against the South if the Confederacy had won.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah but you still got your stupid asses kicked in a war you started with absolutely no realistic hope of winning and spawned a bunch of crybabies who haven't been able to get over it.

Rather than take a few paragraphs out of context why don't you post the Cooper-Union Speech

showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/speeches/cooper.htm

excerpts

Still, when you speak of us Republicans, you do so only to denounce us a reptiles, or, at the best, as no better than outlaws. You will grant a hearing to pirates or murderers, but nothing like it to "Black Republicans." In all your contentions with one another, each of you deems an unconditional condemnation of "Black Republicanism" as the first thing to be attended to. Indeed, such condemnation of us seems to be an indispensable prerequisite - license, so to speak - among you to be admitted or permitted to speak at all.

hmm, big change for some here ahem cough cough

Less than eight years before Washington gave that warning, he had, as President of the United States, approved and signed an act of Congress, enforcing the prohibition of slavery in the Northwestern Territory, which act embodied the policy of the Government upon that subject up to and at the very moment he penned that warning; and about one year after he penned it, he wrote LaFayette that he considered that prohibition a wise measure, expressing in the same connection his hope that we should at some time have a confederacy of free States.

Washington must have been a damn Yankee then
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
yeah but you still got your stupid asses kicked in a war you started with absolutely no realistic hope of winning and spawned a bunch of crybabies who haven't been able to get over it.

Rather than take a few paragraphs out of context why don't you post the Cooper-Union Speech

showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/speeches/cooper.htm

excerpts

Still, when you speak of us Republicans, you do so only to denounce us a reptiles, or, at the best, as no better than outlaws. You will grant a hearing to pirates or murderers, but nothing like it to "Black Republicans." In all your contentions with one another, each of you deems an unconditional condemnation of "Black Republicanism" as the first thing to be attended to. Indeed, such condemnation of us seems to be an indispensable prerequisite - license, so to speak - among you to be admitted or permitted to speak at all.

hmm, big change for some here ahem cough cough

Less than eight years before Washington gave that warning, he had, as President of the United States, approved and signed an act of Congress, enforcing the prohibition of slavery in the Northwestern Territory, which act embodied the policy of the Government upon that subject up to and at the very moment he penned that warning; and about one year after he penned it, he wrote LaFayette that he considered that prohibition a wise measure, expressing in the same connection his hope that we should at some time have a confederacy of free States.

Washington must have been a damn Yankee then

NO REALISTIC hope of winning. Where do you come up with these so called facts??????
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ulysess S. Grant himself, when teaching at West Point after the war, was quoted as saying that he and other Union leaders (Lincoln, Sherman, etc) would have certainly been hanged for war crimes they had committed against the South if the Confederacy had won.

please elaborate on some of the atrocities they committed during the War of Northern Aggression?

i know about sherman cause we touched on that in school, but what are some of the other examples
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top