Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 11:25:36 AM EDT
Ok.... Typically when it comes to alcohol, I'm a beer drinker.  If I want something harder, I break out the Maker's Mark.  I've been known to break out Flaming Dr Peppers at wild parties, but that's mostly to get the women's shirts wet.  If I'm getting intentionally messed up, tequila.  For that I've always just used Jose Cuervo Gold.

My father-in-law passed this last week and we had the funeral Friday.  I love my in-laws, and have taken shots with my MIL in the past.  I promised I'd get a good (expensive) bottle of tequila and do shots with her that night.  I picked up a bottle of Corazon de Agave Anejo along with some Cuervo for Margaritas.  

We took a shot of the Corazon and DANG.... that's some good stuff.  Very smooth, with a great flavor.  Don't even need the lime like the Cuervo.  

My MIL, my BIL and I finished off the Corazon, and then took out the Cuervo, too.  We had a great time toasting my FIL.  

Anyway, I'm a convert now to the good stuff.  Anybody else like Corazon?  Any other tequila's I should try?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#1]
El Patron or Cabo Wabo are both nice sipping tequilas.

Course, I don't drink anymore, so what do I know...  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Good tequila is a gift from God!

Bad tequila is a sick joke!
....and there are a lot of sick jokes out there  

Yea, I'm a tequila snob. I learned to drink it years ago in Mexico, before it got very popular here in the 'States and terribly expensive.

BTW - most tequila sold in the 'States is at least drinkable; meaning it won't hurt you unless you drink too much. There is a fair amount of tequila in Mexico that is NOT drinkable.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:33:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yea, I'm a tequila snob. I learned to drink it years ago in Mexico, before it got very popular here in the 'States and terribly expensive.

BTW - most tequila sold in the 'States is at least drinkable; meaning it won't hurt you unless you drink too much. There is a fair amount of tequila in Mexico that is NOT drinkable.

Ok, so what do you consider "good tequila"?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
All hail the square bottle.

Get yourself some Herradura Anejo.  Best there is.

Edit:  Patron blows.

Yep...Gloftoe's in the know on this....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing Less than 100% Blue Agave Tequila, Jose Quervo and Margaritaville Tequilas SUCK!!

For less expensive budgets, go with El Jimador Tequila Reposado.

If you afford it, go with Patron, or Cabo Wabo!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Just reading this thread makes me want to puke. Short story:

I used to love Tequilla. In December 1999 I was doing an independant contract for a company in Louisville, KY to help them make sure that their backup systems were ready for Y2K. I was there for about 3 months, and I was staying in this extended stay hotel right across the river in Jeffersonville Indiana. Every night I would go to dinner at Buckheads which was across the street from my hotel and I'd have a couple shots of Cuervo before going home and going to bed. When I get a few shots in me I start tipping well, so I got to know all of the bartenders and they really liked me alot. Well, I had to stay in town until the 5th of January 2000 even though my contract ended on 12/30. So on New Years Eve I went over to Buckheads and they had all of the bartenders working because they were expecting big crowds. During the course of the evening I bought a couple of shots...and EACH of the bartenders bought me a shot Cuervo. On January 1, 2000 I woke up face down on the front lawn of the hotel I was staying in. I haven't touched a drop of Tequilla since. The smell alone is enough to send me screaming to the bathroom.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I've always loved Cabo Wabo, but recently started drinking Tarantula. MUCH smoother. I can drink it by the glass.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Patron Silver is my poison. Best tequila IMO, but I don't drink it much. I'm trying to AVOID trouble.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Although 90% of the time Gloftoe and I rub each other like sandpaper on crushed rock, we agree here.  Herradura is DA SHIT.  Good call.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Patron Silver is my poison. Best tequila IMO, but I don't drink it much. I'm trying to AVOID trouble.

Ditto here.. I love the stuff, but turn into a real asshole when I drink more than a few shots.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:10:20 PM EDT
[#13]
This stuff is good!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto here.. I love the stuff, but turn into a real asshole when I drink more than a few shots.

they dont call tequila felony juice for nothing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:14:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Ever Try Don Julio Anejo?  good stuff, smooth easy drinking
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I drink Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia.
This is not like any of their other Tequilas, $85 a bottle and worth it.

Rich V
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Good to know!  The guy I just started seeing is a tequila drinker.  I, being a vodka drinker, know little of tequila.  I think I found his next gift.    
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, so what do you consider "good tequila"?

I'll buy Conmemorotivo Anejo for general purposes like margaritas. Its one of the better "regular" brands. Its not too bad for sipping, either. Over tha past decade Conmemorotivo has become much more commercialized. In the early '80s it was an excellent tequila.

I do prefer an aged (anejo) tequila over un-aged or reposado (aged only 2 months) tequla.  

I do not like clear (blanco) tequila.
I do not like Jose Quervo.... it is too sharp for my tastes.

The high-buck tequilas are many and varied. I don't drink enough to go through a lot of different brands.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I just tried "J.B. Waggoner's" 100% Agave.

1) Made in USA

2) Silver-Type

3) SUPER Smooth

4) Made form AGAVE grown in Temecula, CALIFORNIA.

(That's why they can't call it "Tequila"-Mexican trademark)

It's got a Texas-looking red, white and blue flag on the clear-glass bottle:

GREAT STUFF FOR SIPPIN'

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Although 90% of the time Gloftoe and I rub each other like sandpaper on crushed rock, we agree here.  Herradura is DA SHIT.  Good call.

The Square Bottle brings EVERYONE together.

Can I get a hug, sweetums?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Don Eduardo is another good premium tequilla.  It is not proper to call Jose Cuervo tequilla since it is 49% corn alcohol mixed with some tequilla.  If the bottle does not say 100% agave, run away.  Less expensive real tequilla would be something like Souza, good sipped or made into Margaritas, but for sipping go with the top shelf stuff aas stated above.

ETA:  Don't forget that there are three grades of tequilla.

Silver:  distileld and bottled right away.
Resposado (Rested): aged for 6 months to a year in casks.
Anejo:  Aged for 1 year plus, has a darker color and a smoother and more complex flavor.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
El Patron or Cabo Wabo are both nice sipping tequilas.

Course, I don't drink anymore, so what do I know...  

Both are good; I find Cabo Wabo to be truly excellent.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Square Bottle brings EVERYONE together.

Hehehe...especially when someone other than you is buying!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top