Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2006 11:11:07 AM EDT
Im sure everyone here has heard of the replicas being sold at the shot show and trijicon making them stop, well I just had an ebay listing stopped. Cant say I blame them for copy rights infrigment on the manufactures but I was selling it as a personaly owned item. They have no business there, of course I did say the other curse word, ebay.
I guess if I want to sell my 327 Shellby cobra replica I could get sued by ford and shellby. LOL

Im going to duck for cover now as tijicon is a sponsor here! Call me when its all clear!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#1]
still not as bad as the record companies
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Trademarks, patents and copyrights.
Defend them aggressively or lose them.

And the RIAA is right.  Downloading stuff you didn't buy is theft.
Imagine how you'd feel if somebody stopped by your desk and stole your work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have no problem with people defending their copyrights and patents but when they go after some 14? year old kid it gets pretty ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]

And the RIAA is right. Downloading stuff you didn't buy is theft.

A big fat +1  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have no problem with people defending their copyrights and patents but when they go after some 14? year old kid it gets pretty ridiculous.

why should age matter when theft is involved, if a 14yo stole my truck I would want the samething to happen to him as a 30yo

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:23:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why should age matter when theft is involved, if a 14yo stole my truck I would want the samething to happen to him as a 30yo

We are talking patents and copyrights not trucks.
Somehow I think a kid downloading a song on the internet is different than stealing a truck.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]
[liberalcommie] But it's not stealing when it's free on the internet [/liberalcommie]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
[liberalcommie] But it's not stealing when it's free on the internet [/liberalcommie]

Never said it's not stealing but sending lawyers after a kid is kind of ridiculous since they probably don't know any better.
I'm sure you wouldn't be happy when the police serve you a warrant for copying that CD for your mom.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Assuming it can fit on a flattop rail, eBay probably pulled the auction because the sight is an "asault weapon part".    I wouldn't use eBay, personally.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So that makes it alright ?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never said it's not stealing but sending lawyers after a kid is kind of ridiculous since they probably don't know any better.
I'm sure you wouldn't be happy when the police serve you a warrant for copying that CD for your mom.

Kids copying stuff off of the internet are the same kids that should be buying that music.
RIAA is going for the kids because those individuals are the ones making the biggest dent.
They can't get every person, but they make examples when they can.

It's no different than setting up shop and cranking out copies of DVDs and CDs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So that makes it alright ?

Nope, I never said it was alright
Just in comparison to the record company tactics.
I'm more surprised Egay let the guy post it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Im sure everyone here has heard of the replicas being sold at the shot show and trijicon making them stop, well I just had an ebay listing stopped. Cant say I blame them for copy rights infrigment on the manufactures but I was selling it as a personaly owned item. They have no business there, of course I did say the other curse word, ebay.
I guess if I want to sell my 327 Shellby cobra replica I could get sued by ford and shellby. LOL

Im going to duck for cover now as tijicon is a sponsor here! Call me when its all clear!

So, list it on the EE.

ETA: Details? How much? Got a link? What's the brand? Model?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yea, the stuff is sent free on the airwaves and through streaming audio and all.  Why bother recording it?  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Nope, Ford would not come after you and I have no idea who the hell "shellby" is.
1) Yours apparently has a Chevy engine (327)
2)  They never had anything to do with anyone named Shellby
3)  Their Cobras used an uppercase "C" as the first letter

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i am still trying to figure out how there is a copyright infingement on those scopes. they do not use ANY tech designed by trijicon. and they only remotely resemble an acog. considering they are being marketed to a consumer base that can't or won't pay trij's price, i don't really see the benefit.

Reasonable facsimile?
It looks like a Trijicon ACOG.
People could be confused because it's a "reasonable facsimile", which degrades Trijicon's brand.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#19]
If we could get some competition in the ACOG market prices will go down and better products will apear.

Its called the free market. If the patent has expired, then it shouldnt be illegal for competing companies to make exact replicas.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#20]
If Trijicon were not over priced I would buy their products, in  the meantime I'll  continue to use the replica, to me it's just as good and $900 cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#21]
do you have  a picture of the scope in question?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
...in  the meantime I'll  continue to use the replica, to me it's just ass...

Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i am still trying to figure out how there is a copyright infingement on those scopes. they do not use ANY tech designed by trijicon. and they only remotely resemble an acog. considering they are being marketed to a consumer base that can't or won't pay trij's price, i don't really see the benefit.

Reasonable facsimile?
It looks like a Trijicon ACOG.
People could be confused because it's a "reasonable facsimile", which degrades Trijicon's brand.

the only thing remotely similar is they both have round lens. i guess leupold should sue nikon as well.

The archives indicate the lawsuit was over a "patent violation" and the NcSTAR product was a "virtual duplicate" of the ACOG.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If Trijicon were not over priced I would buy their products, in  the meantime I'll  continue to use the replica, to me it's just as good and $900 cheaper.

Just as good?
Really?  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kids copying stuff off of the internet are the same kids that should be buying that music.
RIAA is going for the kids because those individuals are the ones making the biggest dent.

But the RIAA/Record companies are not going after 14 yr olds that can't pay.  They are going after parents, or worse, grandma.  The kid goes to Granny's house for a week in the summer, downloads 4 Korn albums, but Granny gets sued.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But the RIAA/Record companies are not going after 14 yr olds that can't pay.  They are going after parents, or worse, grandma.  The kid goes to Granny's house for a week in the summer, downloads 4 Korn albums, but Granny gets sued.

You must have missed that news article from a few years ago when they were sueing the kid.
ETA: Here we go, RIAA sues 12 year old
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#28]
First Off:
1) Trademark = Coca Cola, Intel name & Logo, etc...
2) Patents = The design of your super duper bullet, the process you invented to synthesize a new drug, etc..
3) Copyright = The song your wrote, the book you wrote, the photo you took (which does not include the title)

This is not a copyright issue but a patent and possibly a trademark issue.

Quoted:

You do NOT need to defend copyrights, they are protected absolutely.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have missed that news article from a few years ago when they were sueing the kid.

Hell they've gone after dead people.

ETA:
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell they've gone after dead people.

yep
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

In some parts, they'll chop off your hand. Lot of 14 year olds nicknamed "Stumpy." Consider yourself fortunate to live where you can whine, "I'm just a kid!"
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In some parts, they'll chop off your hand. Lot of 14 year olds nicknamed "Stumpy." Consider yourself fortunate to live where you can whine, "I'm just a kid!"

I was off12 year olds
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No matter what the issue, somebody has it worse somewhere in the world.  Does that means you should accept anything you see as being unfair?   Imminent domain take over your home?  Shut up an be thankful you weren't in Zimbabwe and killed in the process!  AWB coming again?  Quit "whining" and just accept it, at least you can have firearms unlike some countries
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Did they just realize this?  They've been around for a long time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
First Off:
2) Patents = The design of your super duper bullet, the process you invented to synthesize a new drug, etc..
3) Copyright = The song your wrote, the book you wrote, the photo you took (which does not include the title)

Quoted:

I know the difference.  

And copyrights are not "absolute".  There are still considerable disagreements and court challenges as to what constitutes "fair use".

For example, both RIAA and MPAA have recently begun to challenge "ripping" and "personal backups" as a violation of that concept.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Carrol Shellby, is the one who designed the cobra. And yes its a 327 chevy as I prefer chevys but like the look of the original cobra, But im not here for that, so Peace. h.gif

I can say one thing, Im behind Trijicon on the copyright issue but having had both there is enough of a difference that im not sure why they worry about it. If you are going into combat, sure Id want the real thing. If you are now a weekend(ok sometimes weekday) warrior like me, the replicas are great. I can have three of them for under the price for the real thing. My main compaint is that this was a personal Item, one I purchased legaly. I was not selling it as part of my store inventory but as an individual.
Oh well, I hope some solution is reached between whoever so the civilian market can have a choice and not just take what we are fed.

Ebays email stated they were contacted by trijicon and ordered to pull it due to Copyrights over the use to the AGOG even though it was titled ACOG replica.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Trijicon should just shut up. Just like Colt should have. Or do we have a double standard here?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Carrol Shellby Shelby, is the one who designed the cobra. And yes its a 327 chevy as I prefer chevys but like the look of the original cobra, But im not here for that, so Peace.

I can say one thing, Im behind Trijicon on the copyright issue but having had both there is enough of a difference that im not sure why they worry about it. If you are going into combat, sure Id want the real thing. If you are now a weekend(ok sometimes weekday) warrior like me, the replicas are great. I can have three of them for under the price for the real thing. My main compaint is that this was a personal Item, one I purchased legaly. I was not selling it as part of my store inventory but as an individual.
Oh well, I hope some solution is reached between whoever so the civilian market can have a choice and not just take what we are fed.

Ebays email stated they were contacted by trijicon and ordered to pull it due to Copyrights over the use to the AGOG even though it was titled ACOG replica.

Fixed it so he'll know who you're talking about!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#39]

Fixed it so he'll know who you're talking about!

Thanks, Fingers get alittle carried away sometimes!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#40]

Im sure everyone here has heard of the replicas being sold at the shot show and trijicon

huh?

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Carrol Shellby, is the one who designed the cobra. And yes its a 327 chevy as I prefer chevys but like the look of the original cobra, But im not here for that, so Peace.

Chevy engine in a Cobra???????????????????  That's blasphemous I tell you, blasphemous.

Ford may come after for doing that!!

Now, back to the subject at hand, I just wish I had heard about those scopes before Trijicon pitched a fit, damnit.

Oh, shouldn't Trijicon be after all those sellers of Trijicon scopes on ebay.  It IS taking away business from them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#42]
FORD 427 Side Oiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:25:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Anybody have pics for comparison? I'm curious as to how similar these things look to one and other.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, Ford would not come after you and I have no idea who the hell "shellby" is.

If you don't even know who/what Shelby is, you have no business replying to that post, must less babbling off 'facts'
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry, I know you know who Carroll Shelby is...  Don't toy with him.

I know who Carrol Shelby is, I just didn't know who this Shellby person was.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't even know who/what Shelby is, you have no business replying to that post, must less babbling off 'facts'

You guys need to pay more attention.  I know who Carroll Shelby is.  I have met the man several times at Sebring.  I know all about the cars he produced.  I just wanted to know who this Shellby person is.

If you look a few posts before yours, someone else already caught it and knew what I meant.  The original poster even acknowledged it.

If you didn't read all the posts and pay more attention, you have no business replying to that post and babbling off nonsense.

Sheesh, try reading all the posts.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
FORD 427 Side Oiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I'M talkin' bout.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
First Off:

Quoted:

I know the difference.  

Notice I outlined the differences before I quoted you?  

And copyrights are not "absolute".  There are still considerable disagreements and court challenges as to what constitutes "fair use".

For example, both RIAA and MPAA have recently begun to challenge "ripping" and "personal backups" as a violation of that concept.

Not sure if you realize this but you've just proved my point.  Follow along...  Trademarks need to be defended because if I trademarked the name "Googles" 20 years ago, I'll have limited rights if any if I wait till 2006 to sue Google.  The court is going to ask why didn't I raise an issue earlier?  Why is it only a problem now that they have deep pockets?   Why did I wait until after Google has spent millions of its own dollars to greatly increased the intrinsic value of the "Google" brand name?  What rights do I have when people associate the word Google with the search engine company more than with my company?  

Copyrights however are protected absolutely.  When I say absolutely, that doesn't mean anything ever written cannot be duplicated, all communication would cease if that were the case.  NSS.  What it means is unlike with Trademarks, if doesn't matter to what extent my copyrights have been infringed upon or how long I've waited to sue, I still have the same rights:

10 Big Copyright Myths

5)"If you don't defend your copyright you lose it." -- "Somebody has that name copyrighted!"
False. Copyright is effectively never lost these days, unless explicitly given away. You also can't "copyright a name" or anything short like that, such as almost all titles. You may be thinking of trademarks, which apply to names, and can be weakened or lost if not defended.

"Fair Use" has nothing to do with this.  If the courts find your use was not "fair use" and you violated some else's copyrights, they can sue you today just the same as 10 years ago.  Your "ripping" and file sharing of MP3s is the perfect example.  Millions of people have been doing it for years, yet the the RIAA is still able to go after Joe Schmoe and sue him for $10,000 for sharing MP3 songs.

Patents also don't need to be defended to maintain rights.  Look at what is happening to RIM and NTP.  The courts have ruled that RIM violated NTP's patents and now they may have to shut down their networks.  The the fact RIM has been in operation for years and a shutdown will have a massive detrimental effect to not only their business but the business of millions of people who use Blackberries has no bearing on NTP's rights.

So contrary to your understanding of things, Trijicon does not need to go after clone makers to protect their patents, and the RIAA does not need to go after file sharers to protect copyrights, they may do it to protect sales and discourage others, but not to protect their IP.  Personally, I don't see anything wrong with what they're trying to do, but their tactics are out of line.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#50]
It's a sad day when people start putting airsoft toys on real firearms.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top