Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 11:04:10 AM EDT
http://lostcamera.blogspot.com/2006/02/camera-unlost-but-not-quite-found.html

Saturday, February 18, 2006
camera unlost, but not quite found.
I hadn't posted here in a while, because just after the last post, I got a call from an excited park ranger in Hawaii that "a nice Canadian couple reported that they found your camera!" She gave me their name and number, and I eagerly called to reclaim my camera.

"Hello," I said, when I reached the woman who had reported the camera found, "I got your number from the park ranger, it seems you have my camera?"

We discussed the specifics of the camera, the brown pouch it was in, the spare battery and memory card, the yellow rubberband around the camera. It was clear it was my camera, and I was thrilled.

"Well," she said, "we have a bit of a situation. You see, my nine year old son found your camera, and we wanted to show him to do the right thing, so we called, but now he's been using it for a week and he really loves it and we can't bear to take it from him."

I listened, not sure where she was going with this.

"And he was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and he's now convinced he has bad luck, and finding the camera was good luck, and so we can't tell him that he has to give it up. Also we had to spend a lot of money to get a charger and a memory card."

It started to dawn on me that she had no intention of returning the camera.

"We'd be happy to return your photographs..."

I was incredulous. "This is an expensive camera, you know."

"Oh, we know, we looked it up."

"I was hoping to offer a reward for it, but I was also hoping to get my camera back."

Silence. It is now clear I will never see the camera again. I'm shocked at what seems like an utter moral failure on her part, despite her claim to want to "do the right thing."

"Ok," I say. "Why don't you send me my memory cards, and, say, $50 and we'll call it even."

I give her my address.

I don't hear from her for nearly two weeks. Friends suggest filing a police report.

Finally, I get a package in the mail.

"Enclosed are some CDs with your images on them. We need the memory cards to operate the camera properly."

I call, furious. "I was shocked to get your package today. Our agreement was that you were to send me my memory cards, not that you would keep an additional $120 worth of my property on top of the valuable camera you already chose not to return."

"You're lucky we sent you anything at all. Most people wouldn't do that." We go back and forth a bit more. She eventually hangs up on me. I call the police department in her town (in Canada) but they tell me that it's a U.S. issue, since that's where the property was lost.

I am out $500 and some measure of faith in humanity.

I do, however, have the photos. Thanks again to the Flickr community for loaning me yours in the interim.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:06:04 AM EDT
[#1]
wow

what dirtbags

letter to the editor of their local paper
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn Canucks!

Someone send this to Michael Moore
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree with this statement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Tell him to call back and ask if she'll send him the camera after the kid croaks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
wow

what dirtbags

letter to the editor of their local paper

I'd say a trip to canada to post some flyers all around their town would be in order.

ETA: Humiliation is the key.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Call Striker...he'll get it back.

That is just effed up.  I hate people sometimes!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#7]
For that, I woudl FLY to Canada and knock on their door.  

If the Danadian police won't get involved because the camera was lost in the U.S., then surely they cannot get involved if the same camera is taken back?

I would bring copies of the email showing them admitting that they were stealing my property to show to the police after I barge into their house and take my camera from their kid's room.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#8]
People inherently post DUPEs
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#9]
This is the perfect pretext needed to declare war on those beaver and moose growing bastards.

G
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#10]
The people who found the camera are prolly liberal suckass Kali idiots who just moved to Canada...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
People inherently post DUPEs

yup
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=438726
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Not all people are scum, just most.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
No crap...where's Ted Kaczynski when you need him??  

(JUST KIDDING)  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
For that, I woudl FLY to Canada and knock on their door.  

+1  Those assholes WOULD give me my camera back.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#15]
The more I see of people the better I like my dog.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#16]
If I was that guy I sure wouldn't look up all of their neighbors addresses here, and then write a form letter to all of their neighbors telling what scumbags live in their neighborhood.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#17]
People suck.  Their kid probably is a 350 giant flabtard rolling in his own filth because they obviously spoil the worthless POS and are most likely going to let him keep the car he steals when he gets diagnosed with heart disease just to keep his spirits up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I would be pa\lanninga vacation to Canada if it were me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I looked up the original thread and the blog that was linked.  Sounds too much like BS.  They have names and a phone number and they're not doing anything about getting the camera back other than bitching about humanity on the blog.

Screw them.  If they don't take the action to get it back then he or she is letting themselves become a victim.  All they have to do is post what info they have on the thieves and presto, instant action by hundreds of karmic avengers!

But... they don't.  Thieves suck.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Unfortunately, this doesn't surprise me one bit.  I have lost faith in the people of today.   It just makes me sick.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If I was that guy I sure wouldn't look up all of their neighbors addresses here, and then write a form letter to all of their neighbors telling what scumbags live in their neighborhood.

+1
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't think they are going to teach the kid to do the right thing if they don't actually follow through.  Calling someone to tell them you have their property but are going to keep it is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#24]
This is very unChristian and irrational of me, but I'd be taking a trip up to Canada to reclaim my property at gunpoint.  Damn the consequences.

I wouldn't shoot someone over a camera...but I'd like to shoot them just on principle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Invade Canada, damn scum!! I have to agree with you the majority of people area POS!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:53:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Fucking scumbags.  If i was that guy i'd be taking a road trip to woop some ass.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Story sounds phony to me.

If it is true and I knew where the camera was and it was worth $500 I would betaking a road trip to CA.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#29]
$500 is a felony, reprot it with all their info. Next time they make a trip to the US, the LEO will have a surprise for them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:17:29 PM EDT
[#30]
This Sucks !!

Hey, I'm in Canada. Did they say what street they live on ? Was it Larch Street ? Is the name Davison ? Yeah, bet it is. Just like them to pull something like this. Those people are real scum. Maybe I'll go over there and have a word with them, take along a little something for "backup", yeah that's it.

Somebody has got to put his foot down , and that foot is me !
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This Sucks !!

Hey, I'm in Canada. Did they say what street they live on ? Was it Larch Street ? Is the name Davison ? Yeah, bet it is. Just like them to pull something like this. Those people are real scum. Maybe I'll go over there and have a word with them, take along a little something for "backup", yeah that's it.

What are you talking about, there is only one street in Canada

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This Sucks !!

What are you talking about, there is only one street in Canada

images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/715/715_image_05.jpg

everybody knows everyone else in canada.......didn't you know that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top