Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2006 7:55:27 AM EDT

They any good? they have a fluted 16 inch I want but I dont know anyone who's dealt with them.

So the hive mind must have an answer
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
In a word, NO!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:59:49 AM EDT
[#2]
examples? what the problem?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had friends that have bought from them with good results before. I am riding the fence between one of their uppers or an M&A upper right now. I hear their lower PK's are junk tho.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I can tell you the people that work at thier booth at Knob Creek have poor attitudes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#5]
You'll find that a HUGE number of people have had no problems whatsoever with Model 1 Sales.  Especially in the last year or two, their quality seems to have been really quite good.

I have heard that their lower parts kit can be a little rough, and some people apparently buy another LPK from another company, and keep the Model 1 kit for spare parts.  I've also heard that lots of people have never had any problems.

I'm extremely happy with my 10.5" upper from Model 1 sales, and it has worked GREAT (and there's a long thread on a guy having trouble getting his buddy's 10.5" LMT upper to work over in the Full Auto forum.)

I think a lot of people discount them, but my experience has been very positive.

YMMV - obviously they are slightly cheaper for a reason.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#6]
No experience, but what I've read is 60% bad and 40% good.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#7]
So apparently the answer to your question is that there isn't a consensus.  

Who'd have thunk that on ar15.com?  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:05:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I would like to hear from a handful of M1S owners and a handful of M&A owners, so many people post opinions based on what others have said(and I do it too), I wish that I could just get actual owners to tell me what they think like DK-Prof.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#9]
pretty much shot everything  out there and they are fine, colt, RRA, dpms, stag, FN, they are all the same,

I think they may get a bad rep because you have people paying 1500 dollars for a Colt and do not want to accept that a weapon at half the cost can be decent

LMT's have better QC than colt and still have issues at times, no one as perfect
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would like to hear from a handful of M1S owners and a handful of M&A owners, so many people post opinions based on what others have said(and I do it too), I wish that I could just get actual owners to tell me what they think like DK-Prof.

exactly
thanks DK
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 16 inch M1S M4 kit on an Ameetec lower, and it's gone 500 rounds without a problem.  Trigger isn't the lightest, but it breaks clean.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#12]
4 kits built, zero problems.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#13]
So far, uppers ok lowers questionable.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#14]
bought a 16" dissipator kit. works fine but the gas key is now loose. if you get one make sure the key is properly staked. other than that i have no complaints.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#15]
What about ammo? Any trouble feeding certain ammo?

ETA: looks a little better than 60/40 so far
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Company I work for has purchased 10-20 uppers from them. No problems with any of them so far...Personaly I have a 24" varmint upper from them and it does just fine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Use the force!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Got a 16"HB flat top.  Upper is cool, shoots pretty damn well. The lpk is crappy, actually broke a bolt catch.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:18:50 AM EDT
[#19]
So far I would say good quality is the norm and problems are the exceptions. I think you hear more about problems than you do success stories anyways and this I think tends to bend peoples perceptions on things.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Calestus, what kind of groups are you getting with that rifle? WHat MOA does it shoot? I am planning on building a precision rifle with one of their uppers useing the 1 in 8 stainless heavy barrel. Any comments on it? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:23:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I also have their 24" varmint upper. Shaw barrel is excellent quality. Only disappointment was that the FF tube wasn't drilled for a bipod.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#22]
6 builds, gas key came loose on one no big deal.

I'm probably going to buy another 20" kit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I have had good experiences with Model 1 Sales.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Wonderful, keep the reports coming in...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Here is my deal with Model 1.  I ordered a whole 16 inch parts kit for use as a beater.  The only problem I had was with the lower parts kit.  The hole on the bolt catch was too small, and the take down pin detents were too big and I didn't like the fact that they were only chamfered on one side.  Plus they seemed to be made out of aluminum instead of brass.  I now have a pile of those extra parts laying around so thats not even an issue.  I installed the complete upper onto a Superior lower.  The fit is about average.  The rifle has shot just fine.  I'm pretty sure I have over 1000 rounds without a problem.  But..... I did have to take the bolt carrier out and stake the gas key screws first.  The staking was very minimal, if any at all.  A freind of mine had the same issue with his dissipator kit he got from them.  So to sum up what everyone else said.  Beware of the lower parts kits.  

Now on the other hand.  In that same order, I had some 6.8 parts as well.  The barrel is made by E.R. Shaw so I figured that has to be ok.  The only problem is they used 1/2-36 for a thread pitch instead of 5/8-24.  So I wound up using a 9MM vortex made for a Colt.  I don't know how well it works yet because they sent me the wrong bolt.  Intead of a 6.8 bolt they sent me a standard 5.56 bolt.  It took me about 3 minutes to figure out why the bolt was not locking up.  Compared the bolt daimeter inside the locking lugs to a .223 bolt with a caliper.  Yep, they sent me the wrong bolt.  So I called them and the guy I talked to sounded surprised that they could ever make a mistake like that.  So I sent the bolt back just over a week ago.  I am going to call them right now to see what the deal is.  If   the price was the same for the .223 bolt and the 6.8 bolt, I would have just shrugged it off and kept it as an extra and just found a differnt 6.8 bolt.  But the 6.8 bolt is about $20 more so this issue will be resolved.  I don't care who I have to talk to.  

Oh yeah one more thought.  On my friends dissipator kit,  they didn't use an insert on the extractor spring and he did have a few extraction problems.  Luckily a fellow arfcommer here saved the day with his box of extra parts and hooked him up with a better spring and solved the extraction problem.  But then of course is when his gas key started to come loose because the screws werent staked good enough.  I believe he has solved that problem now too.

In the end, if you order from them, make sure you have the right stuff, and go through it and double check the assembly, and you should be ok.  Its a pretty decent bang for the buck.  Now its time to give them a call.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Well I am sold. I might have different thoughts if I were going for a LPK and BCG also but I am not so I should be fine. Superdav I hope this is answering your question a little better now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I bought a Model 1 20" 6.8. The bbl had a terrible burr in the bore where the gas port  was drilled with little concern for detail.  The LPK basically sucks. The safety needed work because the recess for the safe position had a blob cast in it.  The bolt catch hole was undersized so I got them to send me another which they did happily. It too was undersized .   The buffer is supposed to have a bevel on the circumference of the forward face, the Model 1 doesn't.  

Hard to resist though !! I priced just the upper with a BCG and CH and for app $25 more I got the buttstock assy with buffer tube, buffer & spring and the LPK.  I just saw a Model 1 LPK sell for about $60 on ebay and that will nearly buy a Stag so that is an no brainer upgrade !!  You can put the bevel on the buffer yourself.

rj
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#28]
1 kit built, no problem.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I can tell you the people that work at thier booth at Knob Creek have poor attitudes.

+1.  I used to work Security at KCR twice a year.  The only bigger assholes was the .22 Ruger silencer asshole, can't recall his name.  Hated his guts, though.

Merlin
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#30]
they are teh suck.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Sounds like we are getting somewhere.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#32]
No problem with 16" lightweight CAR kit.  Bolt release hole was  tad small, but fixed with a drill bit.

Finish is smooth and maybe nicer than my Clark Gator.  Prints under 1 MOA easily with 69gr SMK over Varget.  Not even free floated.

Eats Wolf all day long without problem.  

May have to get a few more kits from them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Well I just orderd mine, Flat top 20" stainless 1 in 8 with an A2 FH and BCG, weaver gas block and free float tube. I have a NM trigger for it already and will pick up my lower receiver thursday from global tactical. I bought my LPK from RRA and I had a butstock and buffer tube donated to me. Hope it all works good, I am sure it will.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#34]
If you want good parts, good prices, and GREAT service look at www.del-ton.com  ...

No, i dont work for them, but have bought from then in the past and will in the future.. There parts are top notch and the service youll get if there is an issue is outstanding... I personaly cant say the same for M1sales. Ive ordered from them before but the straw that broke the camels back was ordering a 5.56 barrel and bing sent a .223 barrel in its place. There response was they where out of the 5.56 ...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I've built one complete gun from a parts kit and used one of their barrels on another one. I'm happy with them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Vader choke hold, BIATCH!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#37]
They had some miscellaneous parts on one of their tables a few gunshows back when I was looking for BUIS.  Some of the examples I saw looked like monkeys assembled them with hammers.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
They had some miscellaneous parts on one of their tables a few gunshows back when I was looking for BUIS.  Some of the examples I saw looked like monkeys assembled them with hammers.  

New form of outsourcing I guess? Pay in banannas.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
No problem with 16" lightweight CAR kit.  Bolt release hole was  tad small, but fixed with a drill bit.

Finish is smooth and maybe nicer than my Clark Gator.  Prints under 1 MOA easily with 69gr SMK over Varget.  Not even free floated.

Eats Wolf all day long without problem.  

May have to get a few more kits from them.

+1, but mine is a stainless 20' kit on an Ameetec lower,
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Everyone knows that if Colt sells a part for $100, Bushmaster sells it for $85, and Brand X sells the part for $20, well, the $20 part is just as good as the $100 part.  

Yessirree...  

How come people will go buy a truck and pay $550 a month for 6 years,

but they will not spring for an extra $400 on a one- time gun purchase?

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought a disipator type complete upper. Complete piece of shit and I had hell getting my money back.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I bought a disipator type complete upper. Complete piece of shit and I had hell getting my money back.

What was wrong with it? Details please?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Ask SC-Texas, our own Darth Vader at Arfcom what he thinks about Model 1 Sales.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#44]
My first build...
Put an M1S 16" complete kit on a Superior lower....and did it all practically right in front of the computer while reading the instructions listed in the ARFCOM "Build It Yourself" forum. Damn, I couldn't believe how easy it was...I'll never buy a complete rifle again.

Back to M1S....they inadvertently sent me the CAR stock instead of the A2 stock I ordered ( no biggie, I was debating on getting the CAR stock anyways)...called them up, fella was very apologetic and offered to send me a free CAR stock wrench for my troubles.

Everything went together fine, upper & lower fit together tighter than Micheal Moore in an airline seat. Range Reports coming to a forum near you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#45]
tag
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
upper & lower fit together tighter than Micheal Moore in an airline seat.

LOL, I called and talked to them today, seem like nice people when I talked to them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#47]
2 yrs ago I built an M4gery from M1S with a dpms lower.....5000 rounds of wolf later no problems at all......except my mags are all empty.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I got a smoking deal on a brand new M1S barrel from a local shop, $50 for a NIW 16" lightweight.  I built a flat top upper for it to go on my M16, and I can tell you that I have run the piss out of it and it is the only upper I have that I've never had a malfunction with.  Not a single one.

I haven't put it on paper for groups yet, but it hits what I point it at.  Here is a pic of the upper with my HALO on it:

Edited to add; 90%+ of the ammo that goes through this gun is wolf, with zero malfunctions.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was wrong with it? Details please?

It was purple, had burrs, and jammed. The charging handle actually scraped the finish off the castel nut.
Go with rra or delton. They are worth the extra bucks in the long run.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#50]
I built a post-ban 16" lightweight free float carbine with their parts a few years ago. I then upgraded barrels after the ban.

No problems except for their bolts. I will never use a M1S bolt again! I broke 2 M1S bolts with only 1000 rounds each of M193. They both broke in the same place. I bought a DPMS bolt and have had no problems with it.

YMMV
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top