Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/20/2006 7:34:35 AM EDT
I have a song that I would like to play in our Pep Band. Its in C for piano which will work for flute too but we have a violin [not sure the key there?], trumpet, clarinet [b flat along with trumpet], sax, baritone and trombone.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:38:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 7:58:18 AM EDT by Greenhorn]
I could do it easily.

Violin is in the same key/octave as the flute and piano (concert key).

Play the trumpet and clarinet one step high. All you really have to do, generally speaking, is to rewrite the music one step high and remove two flats. For example, if the original key is Eb, you have to change Eb and Ab to E natural and A natural in the key signature. The new key is F. If you have other non-key-signature accidentals in there (such as secondary dominants or mode mixture) it may get complicated.

I don't know about the sax because I don't know if it's a soprano, alto, tenor or baritone.

The baritone is in concert key, as is the trombone.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:41:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Greenhorn:
I could do it easily.

Violin is in the same key/octave as the flute and piano. Play the trumpet and clarinet one step high. I don't know about the sax because I don't know if it's a soprano, alto, tenor or baritone. The baritone is in concert key, as is the trombone.

If I remember correctly, the tenor sax is in the same key has the clarinet/bass clarinet/trumpet wich should be Bflat. The alto I think is keyed in D.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:45:10 AM EDT
thanks! I found the piano music for "The Chicken Dance" I'd like to write it in a round.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:45:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 7:46:33 AM EDT by Greenhorn]

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

I could do it easily.

Violin is in the same key/octave as the flute and piano. Play the trumpet and clarinet one step high. I don't know about the sax because I don't know if it's a soprano, alto, tenor or baritone. The baritone is in concert key, as is the trombone.

If I remember correctly, the tenor sax is in the same key has the clarinet/bass clarinet/trumpet wich should be Bflat. The alto I think is keyed in D.

Sporano is the same as the clarinet. Alto is in Eb and sounds a major sixth lower than concert pitch. Tenor is in Bb, an octave and a step below concert pitch. Baritone is Eb, sounding an octave and a major sixth below concert pitch.

Remember the universal rule, if it sounds lower, you play that much higher to make the same note.
For example, the clarinet sounds a step lower than concert pitch. If you play a C on the clarinet, it will sound like a piano's Bb. Therefore, to play a piano's C, you have to play a step higher, or D.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:48:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

I could do it easily.

Sporano is the same as the clarinet. Alto is in Eb and sounds a major sixth lower than concert pitch. Tenor is in Bb, an octave and a step below concert pitch. Baritone is Eb, sounding an octave and a major sixth below concert pitch.

Remember the universal rule, if it sounds lower, you play that much higher to make the same note.
For example, the clarinet sounds a step lower than concert pitch. If you play a C on the clarinet, it will sound like a piano's Bb. Therefore, to play a piano's C, you have to play a step higher, or D.

This is right! I thought D was wrong. I also just remembered that the baritone is the same as alto. At least I could remember what the tenor was (haven't played in 11 years) spent most of my time on the tenor though I played alto, tenor and baritone at some point.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:46:57 AM EDT
Top Top