Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Most of those liberal bedwetting actors would probably crap their pants if they had to hold a real gun with real ammo.

As for "Being in the real military and reenacting have ruined most movies for me,  ", I've never been in the armed forces, but as a Rev. War reenactor who has worked on films, etc., every time I see "The Patriot", I wanna throw a boot at the screen...

"Aim small, miss small."

I do mainly WW2 reenactments and I find myself watching a WW2 flick and picking it to death.  Saving Private Ryan was the best WW2 yet, but I can tell you almost every mistake in the movie.  No movie get it 100% right, but I enjoy them none the less.  It's all fantasy anyway!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:15:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have seen several specials for the History Channel being filmed and you have to remember that a lot of that stuff is done for the visual effects of the movie.  If the tactic were done right,  all you would see is the bushes moving around and that doesn't give you much eye candy.  Being in the real military and reenacting have ruined most movies for me, but I have to sit back now and just try to let most of this shit slide.  It's a movie for god's sake.  Most of us can pick any movie apart if we watch close enough.

As far as the aimpoint being backwards, it was probably an inexperienced prop-master.  Most of those actors wouldn't know the difference. So cut them some slack!

Most of those liberal bedwetting actors would probably crap their pants if they had to hold a real gun with real ammo.

As for "Being in the real military and reenacting have ruined most movies for me,  ", I've never been in the armed forces, but as a Rev. War reenactor who has worked on films, etc., every time I see "The Patriot", I wanna throw a boot at the screen...

"Aim small, miss small."

It's called entertainment guys. Tears of the Sun and The Patriot were both entertaining. I don't take either of them as reality. Not every movie can be Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan or Black Hawk down.

No, it's called education. The media is where most people get their history and gun "info".

And the media are lying to them.

Unfortunately, it's the truth.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Aim small, miss small."

I do mainly WW2 reenactments and I find myself watching a WW2 flick and picking it to death.  Saving Private Ryan was the best WW2 yet, but I can tell you almost every mistake in the movie.  No movie get it 100% right, but I enjoy them none the less.  It's all fantasy anyway!

I thought Band of Brothers was better
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have seen several specials for the History Channel being filmed and you have to remember that a lot of that stuff is done for the visual effects of the movie.  If the tactic were done right,  all you would see is the bushes moving around and that doesn't give you much eye candy.  Being in the real military and reenacting have ruined most movies for me, but I have to sit back now and just try to let most of this shit slide.  It's a movie for god's sake.  Most of us can pick any movie apart if we watch close enough.

As far as the aimpoint being backwards, it was probably an inexperienced prop-master.  Most of those actors wouldn't know the difference. So cut them some slack!

"Aim small, miss small."

It's called entertainment guys. Tears of the Sun and The Patriot were both entertaining. I don't take either of them as reality. Not every movie can be Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan or Black Hawk down.

No, it's called education. The media is where most people get their history and gun "info".

Unfrortunately, it's the truth.

Man, it seems like some must really live dull, humorless lives.

They are just movies. Do I think Tears of the Sun is a Navy SEAL training film, accurate in all respects? No

Do I think The Patriot is gospel...no

Do I think Gettysburg is just like being there? No....

BUT I do find them entertaining, and enjoyable movies. I see them as tools to expand peoples interest too. Stick some kids in a theater with a dry, boring documentary filled with grainy still photos and maps, and I bet you get a bunch of kids who want to go home (or adults for that matter).

Put them in a theater and show the Gettysburg....sure many will still just want to go home, but you just might inspire some to want to go out and learn more about the Civil War, or the Rev War, or what Navy SEALs really do.

When you become an expert in a certain area, or at least just an enthusiastic fan, sure you can nitpick till your hearts delight...you just have to learn to turn that off and enjoy what is there.

I saw K-19 in the theater. It inspired me to learn more so I bought the book. I found out the movie wasn't exactly what really happened. But it did inspire me to go out and learn more....

If you want to learn how Navy SEALs operate, enlist, and go to BUD/S and find out. If you want to kill a few hours with an enjoyable, gung-ho weapons pron good time, pop in Tears of the Sun....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Well what does everybody think about "Saving Private Ryan?"
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Great entertainment. Well filmed. Great effects. As strictly a war film....one of the best made.

Did it have problems...yes. Spielberg had all the Germans running around with shaved heads, Russian conscript style. Completely wrong. He portrayed German tactics poorly. Lots of mistakes on the German side.

However it was still a real turning point in "war" movies. And I love to watch it, despite its foibels....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great entertainment. Well filmed. Great effects. As strictly a war film....one of the best made.

Did it have problems...yes. Spielberg had all the Germans running around with shaved heads, Russian conscript style. Completely wrong. He portrayed German tactics poorly. Lots of mistakes on the German side.

However it was still a real turning point in "war" movies. And I love to watch it, despite its foibels....

All the Germans had shaved heads because they were Irish Army Soldiers "volunteered" for the movie.  Their hair was totally wrong, but what the hell.

Tank Busting aircraft probably wouldn't have been P-51's
No ships in the background of the landing scenes
Miller says, "No tanks have reached the beach!" and next scene is a tank behind him.
10 shot 03 springfield rifle

Saving Private Ryan was one of the best movies ever, but anyone can pick it apart.  Band of Brother was a great movie that learned many lessons from SPR.  I can't wait for Spielburg to do a Pacific Theatre movie.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:15:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It could be that ever since moving to Michigan (born in CA)

I think I spotted the problem.  

(btw, I was born in CA, too.)

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Tears of the Sun.
WHOA.  I mean, WHOA.  This has to be hands down the most hardcore ELiTE movie I have ever seen.  Nothing even comes close.  The Rock, Navy Seals, Clear & Present Danger, GI Jane, [insert movie here], etc.  Nothing comes close.  WOW.  Badass shit.  Mr. Army Ranger who lives down stairs says to me "that's as close as you're gonna get in a movie" and I thought. YOU GUESSED IT!  WOW!

Moco Rates: *****

Squatdog! Is that you?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It could be that ever since moving to Michigan (born in CA) and getting hooked on the Black Rifle Disease I've been into anything and everything "Special Forces" related.  I remember watching Black Hawk Down and being bored becuase the action wasn't good enough.

Flash forward to 2006 and I look at that movie with a completely different aspect.  NOW, it's all about those DELTA boys laying it down.  Even the 1st half of Predator is awesome.  HEAT, meh, tis ok, decent bank scene.  Lousy AR's.

Tears of the Sun.
WHOA.  I mean, WHOA.  This has to be hands down the most hardcore ELiTE movie I have ever seen.  Nothing even comes close.  The Rock, Navy Seals, Clear & Present Danger, GI Jane, [insert movie here], etc.  Nothing comes close.  WOW.  Badass shit.  Mr. Army Ranger who lives down stairs says to me "that's as close as you're gonna get in a movie" and I thought. YOU GUESSED IT!  WOW!

Moco Rates: *****

Check out the History Channel videos. They are produced very well and aren't bogus Hollywood action flicks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Aim small, miss small."

Unfrortunately, it's the truth.

Man, it seems like some must really live dull, humorless lives.

They are just movies. Do I think Tears of the Sun is a Navy SEAL training film, accurate in all respects? No

Do I think The Patriot is gospel...no

Do I think Gettysburg is just like being there? No....

BUT I do find them entertaining, and enjoyable movies. I see them as tools to expand peoples interest too. Stick some kids in a theater with a dry, boring documentary filled with grainy still photos and maps, and I bet you get a bunch of kids who want to go home (or adults for that matter).

Put them in a theater and show the Gettysburg....sure many will still just want to go home, but you just might inspire some to want to go out and learn more about the Civil War, or the Rev War, or what Navy SEALs really do.

When you become an expert in a certain area, or at least just an enthusiastic fan, sure you can nitpick till your hearts delight...you just have to learn to turn that off and enjoy what is there.

I saw K-19 in the theater. It inspired me to learn more so I bought the book. I found out the movie wasn't exactly what really happened. But it did inspire me to go out and learn more....

If you want to learn how Navy SEALs operate, enlist, and go to BUD/S and find out. If you want to kill a few hours with an enjoyable, gung-ho weapons pron good time, pop in Tears of the Sun....

I remember the U.S. Navy had recruiters outside of the theatres when I went to watch Hunt For Red October.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I remember watching Black Hawk Down and being bored becuase the action wasn't good enough.

^^^

Here's a brain on drugs....

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

At this point?

Does anyone want to know?

Hint:  VERY, painfully accurate for the first 15 minutes.

After that, I won't speak for.

I had access to the origional landing plans from a library at Graf.

I actually saw the origional landing plans,a nd, how they actually went.

SPR was a wondorful 15 minutes of historical accuracy. ...90%

The rest...*Meh*...Make you own call.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hi, I'm Dr Liena Kendricks.  I am a doctor who's conscience bit my ass.  Speaking of my ass, I have a nice, and a killer rack.  I feel so bad for poor african tribes because I am so wealthy.  Anyway, it looks really good on my resume when I decide to leave this fucktastic place.

Well, I married this American, and in this movie, I am now considered an American.  So these Navy guys jump out of a plane "to rescue me".  I dont want to go at first because I am going to save Africa single handedly.  So we decide to go, but I make them bring 70 people along.  

Anyway some helicopters land, and those Navy guys force me in a helicopter with them.  I scream they lied to me, fuck their government, and I even spit in their faces.  Later on, after 4 of those Navy guys die, and the rest are wounded, they tell me to run for the border at Cameroon.  I do, and when I get there, the guards wont let me in.  I start screaming that I'm an American and to let me in.  I'm not a hypocrite, I just wanted to get away, fuck everyone else.

And that is Tears of the Sun in 3 paragraphs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I was ducking behind the seat in front of me the first 15 minutes. It really freaked me out. The rest was kinda slow but still watchable.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#17]
to me the movie was just another showing of what you will get if you wait for the government to take care of you.I do not think rebel troops would fare so well in a arfcom village.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#18]
ARRRRRrrrggg...oh well
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#19]
anyone catch the sticker on the m249 para that read 9/11? its at the beging of the village scene when they are crawling.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was ducking behind the seat in front of me the first 15 minutes. It really freaked me out. The rest was kinda slow but still watchable.

I didn't think I'd ever be able to watch it a second time.
I know the only way to know what it was like is to experience it.
But that was as close as I ever need to get.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a chance to meet Stephen E. Ambrose, Ph.D. I was trying to get a train to carry my tank and armored car, a friends scout car, a couple duce and a half’s, a half-track, and several jeeps from Memphis on flat cars to New Orleans with stops along the way to pick up others for the grand opening.  He told me that Steven Spielberg had sent him a copy of Saving Private Ryan before it had the final cut done, and asked him to critique it. He replied

1. Omaha Beach does not look like that reshoot it.
2. Officers would not wear their rank
3. When you’re walking behind lines, spread them out and no talking.
4. You can’t change scopes like that and have the rifle stay zeroed
5. The P51 could not be that accurate with non guided missiles.

Spielberg replied

1. Cost too much to reshoot
2. Audience needs to know who is in charge
3. The movie must have dialog and interaction
4. It is done for affect
5. Done for effect.

Doctor Ambrose asked him, “Why did you even ask me if you are not going to do anything I suggest?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Doctor Ambrose asked him, “Why did you even ask me if you are not going to do anything I suggest?

"Cuz I'm the director, adn I call the shots. Its about making money."
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

A reenactor buddy of mine is a 1745-1845 historical weapons, uniforms and drill consultant and researcher. He got the same calls for "The Patriot", "Master & Commander" and "Amistad". He's dealt with all those directors, the directors are all megalomaniacs, have a vision and want people to confirm it. If YOU dare question it, you are the idiot.

The film companies, however, demand somebody's welll-known name on the credits to say, "See? We researched it! We really care about quality...." and the directors go along with it for publicity's sake, and the companies write the cost off on corporate taxes.

The director of M&C got pissed at him when, among other things he pointed out, he told the director that the white crossbelts on the Royal Marines were too narrow.

"Hey- that's what you're paying me for, right?" he told the director.

That was my buddy's last day working on THAT set....

And of course, a Canadian researcher we know, who has a rep as a real yes-man, stepped in to take over....

Hos everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I had a chance to meet Stephen E. Ambrose, Ph.D. I was trying to get a train to carry my tank and armored car, a friends scout car, a couple duce and a half’s, a half-track, and several jeeps from Memphis on flat cars to New Orleans with stops along the way to pick up others for the grand opening.  He told me that Steven Spielberg had sent him a copy of Saving Private Ryan before it had the final cut done, and asked him to critique it. He replied

1. Omaha Beach does not look like that reshoot it.
2. Officers would not wear their rank
3. When you’re walking behind lines, spread them out and no talking.
4. You can’t change scopes like that and have the rifle stay zeroed
5. The P51 could not be that accurate with non guided missiles.

Spielberg replied

1. Cost too much to reshoot
2. Audience needs to know who is in charge
3. The movie must have dialog and interaction
4. It is done for affect
5. Done for effect.

Hey Tankdriver,
   You were at the Grand Opening of the D-Day Museum?  I was at that one along with the 60th anniversary of D-Day, the Grand Opening of the Pacific wing and other events.  I have several good friends that work there and I have also met Dr. Ambrose before he passed away. I was there portraying 2nd SS Der Fuhrer troops for the opening.
   The museum just picked up a brand new toy.  They found an original C-47 that has quite a history.  Used on D-Day by the 82nd Pathfinders, Used during Market Garden by the 101st, dropped supplies on Bastogne during the Bulge, used during operation Varsity and also used in the movie, A Bridge Too Far..  It was found on an airfield in Texas, still in the Normandy paint job from the movie.  Best part is, it still flies, so they are flying it to New Orleans.  may be there by now.  It's going on permanent display in the main exhibition gallery.

The Gunny
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Hey Tankdriver,
   You were at the Grand Opening of the D-Day Museum?  I was at that one along with the 60th anniversary of D-Day, the Grand Opening of the Pacific wing and other events.  I have several good friends that work there and I have also met Dr. Ambrose before he passed away. I was there portraying 2nd SS Der Fuhrer troops for the opening.
   The museum just picked up a brand new toy.  They found an original C-47 that has quite a history.  Used on D-Day by the 82nd Pathfinders, Used during Market Garden by the 101st, dropped supplies on Bastogne during the Bulge, used during operation Varsity and also used in the movie, A Bridge Too Far..  It was found on an airfield in Texas, still in the Normandy paint job from the movie.  Best part is, it still flies, so they are flying it to New Orleans.  may be there by now.  It's going on permanent display in the main exhibition gallery.

The Gunny

I ****GOTTA ****get to the D-Day Museum.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top