Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 12:58:04 AM EDT
A few years back a bunch of us out in Cali had an ARF.com dinner and some of the kids from the UC Berkeley shooting club showed up. I now work a UC and a group of kids is trying to start up their own shooting sports club and need some help. None of them has been able to contact anyone from UC Berkeley to get some needed info. They figure if Berkeley can have a gun club so can they.

Any help?

TIA
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:00:32 AM EDT
The range I believe is underground somewhere. I think Hurst Gym? Maybe another part of the campus but try the ROTC units there. They might have a clue.

Max
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:01:12 PM EDT
Thanks. I did not think about the ROTC.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:03:45 PM EDT
I'm a recent UC Berkeley graduate. UC Berkeley has had a number of gun clubs in the past, but none of them seem to have any staying power. I joined one when I was a freshman -- we had one activity and a handful of meetings, and then the club vaporized. If there is currently a gun club, I recommend contacting the Berkeley College Republicans because I'm certain they would know about it.

There IS a shooting range on campus -- it's under Edwards Field. It's only for UCPD use though. I highly doubt they would let a club use it. My roommate's older brother used to have some sort of position in the campus ROTC. If I recall correctly, there are no shooting activities on campus, and shooting is limited to some summer exercises/activities they do out in the woods. Hearst Gym is where the ROTC office is located but there are no ranges there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:38:07 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. So far we have much more support from staff than I imagined. We have an indoor range in town that is willing to help out and an outdoor range about 15 min. from campus. What we need is club by laws, charter, mission statements ect. So far they are concentrating on the shooting sports, firearms safety and historical significance as a base for the club. We have found several other shooting sports related clubs on other campuses throughout the US and will be contacting them for assistance.

For anyone reading this thread: Having worked with these kids on this and other issues I am VERY HOPEFUL for the future of our country. 9/11 has changed a lot of the attitudes of our youth about self defense and core American values. To have a legitimate shooting sports club on the campus of a University of California campus goes a long way in changing the perception of our hobby and the protection of the second amendment.

I am so very proud of these young people. They are very aware of the up hill battle they will face in establishing and maintaining this type of club in our political environment.

Once this club gets off the ground I will be asking for any help anyone can give them. They will need everything from eye and ear protection to $$ to buy ammo and to cover travel expenses to attend area shooting competitions. Many of them come from families where firearms are not common and will not get monetary support from home.

If anyone has any info or contact info that can help please pass it on.

TIA
Top Top