Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 7:54:37 PM EDT
I just bought the book by Koushun Takami because I hear people talk about it now and then and the synopsis on the back intrigued me.

Please tell me I didn't just spend $17 on a book I'm going to end up hating.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I rarely read anything but the internet anymore. Now that I need glasses to read, I no longer find any joy in it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont know about the book but the movie was great. Sequel wasn't that good though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I've read both the book and the comic version in Japanese.

IMHO    BR>book=BR2>comic

I think that it would depend on how well the book is translated.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The book is pretty well translated, only two or three minor typos I've noticed (about the same as most books written in english, basically). I didn't get the bit about the guy's name being a psuedonym though; I'll probably have to ask my friend Sho since it's probably a cultural thing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#5]
You didn't waste your money, it's a good book.  The translator doesn't have the best writing style, but the sheer brutality of the story comes across pretty well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The book is pretty well translated, only two or three minor typos I've noticed (about the same as most books written in english, basically). I didn't get the bit about the guy's name being a psuedonym though; I'll probably have to ask my friend Sho since it's probably a cultural thing.

pseudonym
One entry found for pseudonym.
Main Entry: pseu·do·nym

Gotcha!  

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pseudonym
One entry found for pseudonym.
Main Entry: pseu·do·nym

Gotcha!  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/qwertyup/Spelling_Nazi.jpg

Oh, go take a shower.

I asked my Japanese friend down the hall what was up with the evil guy's name; it means "blonde", apparently.

I'm enjoying the book so far; I'm already about halfway through it. Haven't much time for reading.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#8]
the book is so much better then the movie. oh yeah stay away from the english adaptation of the manga Tokyo Pops adaptation of the comic mangled the script ie it makes the violence more corny and over the top.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I asked my Japanese friend down the hall what was up with the evil guy's name; it means "blonde", apparently.

I'm enjoying the book so far; I'm already about halfway through it. Haven't much time for reading.

Oh, I get what you are talking about now.
The evil teacher's name is Sakamaki Kipatsu (curly blond hair) IIRC.
There is a popular school TV drama series in which a absurdly passionate teacher called  deals with his class of unruly students and manages to turn most of then into good kids.
His name is Sakamoto Kinpachi, and the book is making fun of him.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Nearly done with the book.

I like the variety of firearms; most are revolvers, but there's a Browning Hi-Power, CZ-75, Uzi carbine, MAC-10, 1911, etc. in there.

I seriously doubt the kevlar vest the one kid was issued would provide much protection after taking a couple .38 rounds, then a burst of 9mm from the MAC, followed by eight rounds of .45ACP at point-blank range though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nearly done with the book.

I like the variety of firearms; most are revolvers, but there's a Browning Hi-Power, CZ-75, Uzi carbine, MAC-10, 1911, etc. in there.

I seriously doubt the kevlar vest the one kid was issued would provide much protection after taking a couple .38 rounds, then a burst of 9mm from the MAC, followed by eight rounds of .45ACP at point-blank range though.

I thought the MAC-10 only came in .45acp.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Nope. It was originally 9mm, then they added a .45ACP variant. The MAC-11 originally only came in .380, then they made a 9mm version (and lowered the rate of fire slightly so you wouldn't empty the entire magazine if you brushed the trigger with a feather).

One thing that bugs about the weapons in this book (which I've finished) though:

One character has a 9mm Walther PPK. I've never heard of a PPK in 9mm, only .380 and .32.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Ah, I see. My history-fu is weak, and most everything I know about the MAC-10 was learned on Miami Vice. (The epiode"Evan").

Thanks for letting me know.

Oh yeak, I never heard of a PPK in anything other than .380 either.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. It was originally 9mm, then they added a .45ACP variant. The MAC-11 originally only came in .380, then they made a 9mm version (and lowered the rate of fire slightly so you wouldn't empty the entire magazine if you brushed the trigger with a feather).

One thing that bugs about the weapons in this book (which I've finished) though:

One character has a 9mm Walther PPK. I've never heard of a PPK in 9mm, only .380 and .32.

the translator probly nixed the kurz of 9mm kurz aka .380 auto.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Both Book and Movie are good.  I need to reread the book, it's been a couple years.

I also need to rip my DVD and take out the region code.  I ordered it straight from Japan back when it was still 'Banned in the USA', so I can only watch it on my computer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ah, I see. My history-fu is weak, and most everything I know about the MAC-10 was learned on Miami Vice. (The epiode"Evan").

Thanks for letting me know.

Oh yeak, I never heard of a PPK in anything other than .380 either.

Caught another typo.

This one happened to be mine.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:34:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the translator probly nixed the kurz of 9mm kurz aka .380 auto.

Probably. I remember a single reference later in the book to a "9mm short" pistol, so maybe that was it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I've not read the book, but the movie is fantastic!  It's too bad they had to screw up BR2.  That movie sucked.

-James
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've not read the book, but the movie is fantastic!  It's too bad they had to screw up BR2.  That movie sucked.

-James

There's a sequel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top