Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:09:42 PM EDT
I was at the range today, and this kid was there with his dad and little brother.  The kid was about 8 or so, and I noticed the kid picking up brass off the ground and looking at it.  When they were done shooting their .22, the kid comes over to me and asks if he can have some 7.62x39 brass.  I said sure, but you've got to shoot the bullet out yourself!  The kid was so exited.  I gave him some pointers on shooting while his dad and little bro watched.  He ended up shooting everything I had there and going home with .223, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R and 7.5x55 brass today.  He loved the AR and AK the best.  

I hope I made his day, he made mine.  His dad was pretty appreciative, too.  

Anyone else do stuff like this?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was at the range today, and this kid was there with his dad and little brother.  The kid was about 8 or so, and I noticed the kid picking up brass off the ground and looking at it.  When they were done shooting their .22, the kid comes over to me and asks if he can have some 7.62x39 brass.  I said sure, but you've got to shoot the bullet out yourself!  The kid was so exited.  I gave him some pointers on shooting while his dad and little bro watched.  He ended up shooting everything I had there and going home with .223, 7.62x30, 7.62x54R and 7.5x55 brass today.  

I hope I made his day, he made mine.  His dad was pretty appreciative, too.  

Anyone else do stuff like this?

Yeah...kid and his Dad were shooting an SKS...kid kept eyeing my AR...asked the Dad if the kid wanted to shoot it...unfortunately the fresh mag I popped in was all Wolf (didn't know at the time it was crap for ARs) so what should have been a Kodak moment was more like shoot (clear jam), shoot (clear jam) etc.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
First day at the range with my first gun (my AR) though I had shot plenty before with other people's guns.

I'm shooting and I keep seeing this kid probably 10-12 next to me eyeballing the gun a lot.  I called him over and let him put 10 downrange.  His eyes were wide as saucers and I could tell it was the time of his life.  It was his first day at the range with his old man, and they were shooting dad's 9mm.  He thanked me profusely and proceeded on his way.  I wish all kids were as well behaved and well manered as that kid was.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Good job!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't had the opportunity, but I applaud you for what you did.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice job, we're proud of you for being one of the "good" gun owners of America and setting a good impression with tomorrow's gun owners.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep.  Let a kid shoot a full magazine (30 rounder) through my Daewoo.  His dad brought him out to shoot a .22, but he kept staring at my DR-200.  I asked his dad if it was OK for him to try it and the dad said, "Only if I can shoot it too."  

I thought the top of that kid's head was going to fall off, his smile was so big.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny how it can make someone's day.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:22:25 PM EDT
[#8]

what should have been a Kodak moment was more like shoot (clear jam), shoot (clear jam) etc.

So are you going to fix your AR or blame the ammo?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

what should have been a Kodak moment was more like shoot (clear jam), shoot (clear jam) etc.

So are you going to fix your AR or blame the ammo?

I'll save the Wolf for the AK ..plenty of other brands out there
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]
my wife had some relatives (12 year old boy and his Mom) out from Mass. a few years back.  the mom was anti-gun and scared of guns.  i took them both about back with my CETME and MAADI.  They loved it and i converted an anti.    last i heard, they were excited to come back to MT so they could shoot the "machine guns" again.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#11]
If I'm at a public range,
and the Dad has a haircut
and the kids are respectful,
I'll often invite them to take
a few down-range.
I'm quite picky about whom I
invite to handle my weapons.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I've done it several times.
I also remember the two guys who let me shoot their CAR15 and HK93 back in the '80s, one day when I was at the range shooting my .22.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I held a CMP school today. Had 11 shooters. Most were college kids, the senior club  gives them ammo if they show up.  Two 19 year old girls did. One beat everyone and it was her first time with an AR!!!! or with any high power.  Made her day. and mine. I must be a good coach???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top