Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 6:53:30 PM EDT
This thing sucks. 5 YRS old and locks up all the time.

I want a new one but dont know much about the new stuff. I was poking around ebay to see if I could find better bang for the buck. I am fine with the monitor, keyboard ,mouse and speakers I have now, so I guess I just want an outstanding tower.

I was looking at this guys stuff and think the one for 900 looks ok. Can I get some opinions from you guys before I waste money?  

Thanks.

stores.ebay.com/MICRO-ONE-COMPUTERS
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked THIS up today for my spare office.  $950 with the 19" LCD monitor.  So far I love it - the monitor is friggin HUGE compared to my 17 inch CRT.

Seems to have the same hardware features as the one you are looking at, but this one came with Win XP MCE, a bunch of the usual software, and of course the monitor.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#2]
build your own.

Not that hard, you can get more computer for less money.

Especially since your have the the other parts already. Hell, you could probalby salvage the CD drive and the case you have as well and save even more money.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
build your own.

and the case you have as well and save even more money.

+1
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I want a new one but dont know much about the new stuff. I was poking around ebay to see if I could find better bang for the buck. I am fine with the monitor, keyboard ,mouse and speakers I have now, so I guess I just want an outstanding tower.

I was looking at this guys stuff and think the one for 900 looks ok. Can I get some opinions from you guys before I waste money?  

Thanks.

How good of a deal depends on what you are going to do with the computer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Check what it would cost to get a new hard drive, motherboard, power supply, memory and whatever video cards and stuff you'd need or want.  
 I got my stuff from www.newegg.com
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Check what it would cost to get a new hard drive, motherboard, power supply, memory and whatever video cards and stuff you'd need or want.  

+1000

I bought most of my computer from newegg. Great service and prices.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Also look at mwave.com.

I just priced out a computer for the heck of it without even being cost conscious and was able to put together a damn nice system for just over $500
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
If you just want a decent midrange system, Newegg has the ASUS A7VT Terminator for $80.  This is a SFF barebones which ships with the ASUS 52X CD-ROM drive (blazing fast) and a floppy drive.

Add 512MB memory for $40, an Athlon 2500+ CPU for $90, a DVD burner for $60, and a decent hard drive for $60, and you have a complete system for $350 that will do just about anything you desire.  (MS-Windows not included.  Boot Knoppix off the CD-ROM drive: www.knoppix.net).

Holy Crap!  What happened to CPU prices!??!?!  I bought an Athlon 2700+ for $80 two years ago, an Athlon 2600+ for $90  last year, and now the Athlon 2700+ is $140!  I'm gonna have to pull the CPU from my Terminator and bring it back with me!  Since when did CPU prices start moving UP?!?!?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
build your own.

and the case you have as well and save even more money.

+1

+2

Thats what I did.  Couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#10]
That's a bit pricey for what you get.  The motherboard, ECS is a bargain brand, and not exactly known for being high quality, the sound is either integrated, or a cheapy, and no OS is included.  It also doesn't give the brand for the video card.
The advice to build one is good if you have the patience to search out the best prices, and possibly deal with individual warranties in the unlikely even something was defective.  I know a few guys that used some of their deployment money to put together very nice systems for under $1600 and that includes the LCD monitors, gaming mice, and the full Windows XP Professional (which on it's own is like $400).  You can find places selling the OEM version (that's the one that manufacturers include with their builds) with a qualifying piece of hardware, since it can't be sold on it's own; for well under half that.  Usually it's just a hard drive that it needs to be bundled with.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks.

you need to read the fine.  print.       ecs  is the cheapest made motherboard avail.   it also comes with no OPERATING SYSTEM.   thats $200 dollars right there.  

i build and repair computer for a living.  go find a local computer repair store.  and have them build one.   local support, local phone call.   what else could you want
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Holy Crap!  What happened to CPU prices!??!?!  I bought an Athlon 2700+ for $80 two years ago, an Athlon 2600+ for $90  last year, and now the Athlon 2700+ is $140!  I'm gonna have to pull the CPU from my Terminator and bring it back with me!  Since when did CPU prices start moving UP?!?!?

Prices went up big time on the Athlon socket A processors.  Mine went up 40 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
build your own.

+1 ... build your own is the only way to fly!  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#16]
UG!
I appreciate the replies but I dont know enough to build my own.  8^(

Does anyone here build them or know any one who does?

I would like to get the most bang for my buck. Somewhere from 700 to 1K.

Thanks a bunch guys.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:44:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
UG!
I appreciate the replies but I dont know enough to build my own.  8^(

Does anyone here build them or know any one who does?

I would like to get the most bang for my buck. Somewhere from 700 to 1K.

Thanks a bunch guys.

Trust me, building your own isn't that hard.

There are books you can buy online from amazon for about $10 that will teach you everything you need to know. There are probably web sites that will do the same for free.

You're not 'building' as much as you are 'slapping components together'. Once you get the hang of it, it will make incremental upgrades easier, and you'll be able to put together computers whenever you feel like it.

Don't tell your friends and family about your newfound skill though. You'll regret it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I will build you a working comp taht will have good/excellent performance for 900. What do you want to do with it.  PM me for details. I will make you a super stable system that can play latest games with eyecandy. Lemme know.

Jeff
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Build it yourself.  Go to www.newegg.com  They have great customer service and they let their customers rate the products that they sell.  You can get a good feel for what motherboards, etc perform well, and which ones do not.  It's not hard to build a computer, and if you do build it, you will learn much about how to fix them when you have a problem.  This might sound unimportant, but if you choose to upgrade/fix you will be very intimatly (not spelled right) acquainted with your pc.  You could most likely save your case, cd/cdrw, floppy, etc.  

Also, I have had good luck with IBM drives (I'd go with a setup that is about the fastest that I could afford.  The more you save on things you already have and don't need to buy, the more you can spend for a faster computer (will be more in date for longer.......my desktop has been running for 3 years, and is still very stable and fast enough for my needs).
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Google--- Digtal Storm.  They built mine and I am one happy camper.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:15:33 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Socket A processors have all been discontinued (it's all I have, and my PCs are all 3+ years old, so they're ancient!), and demand has driven up the prices of the remaining supplies.

You can get MUCH better processors for less, as long as you're already buying a new Mobo.

-Troy

Oh, sh*t.  D*mn.  Thanks.

That means my Shuttle XPC is going to be completely useless next time the power supply fries the processor and motherboard.  I love that little toaster, but it is totally un-upgradable as far as I know.  I've never seen Shuttle or anyone else sell replacement motherboards to fit it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#24]
My advice? Get one with a good spell checker.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top