Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:05:10 PM EDT
I just got a new (and first) humidor. It says to put a small cup of distilled water in it and refill it till it becomes saturated. Then place the charged humidifier inside and close.

thats the part: How do I charge the humidifier?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:46:00 PM EDT
Anybody...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:23:31 PM EDT
You put distilled water in the little humidification device. Usually a sponge like deal surounded in plastic. Does your humidor even have one?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:27:35 PM EDT
I used a sponge and lightly coat the inside of the box with distilled water....doing it the way you describe will take weeks to get to 70%...repeat this untill you reach 70% but don't put the gars in while you are conditioning it. Also, the more cigars the easier it to keep at 70%.

Also, spend the money on an electric humiguage.

Well worth it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:31:49 PM EDT
Yossarian, I'm having trouble having mine maintain 70%. I've saturated the inside and done the proper seosoning. You think I need another humidification device? I am in the very dry air of Maine.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:32:53 PM EDT
First off, find the humidifier. It should be a plastic box with a grill on it, and green foam inside. Just add your water or solution to the sponge.

Another trick is to mix 50% propylene glycol (PG) with 50% distilled water. You can sometimes find PG at a pharmacy, or have them order it for you. Generally when you buy Humidifier solution at a cigar store, that is what you are paying for. Only you are paying a 500% mark up.

Of course distilled water works ok - it the PG that helps prevent a box that is TOO humid. (which promotes mold)

Some times with new humidors, they take awhile to get to a constant huminity (I am embarassed to day that I have neglected mine, and it is a bit dry right now.) One tip it to take a damp rag and wipe the inside of the wood. Now use just a LITTLE bit. You dont want to make the wood wet, in anyway. Doing so could make things start to warp.

If your humidifying device doesnt seem to be cutting it - make your own. Take a plastic travel soap box. Drill a bunch of holes in the top of the lid. Add green floral foam inside (get the kind for REAL flowers - the kind for FAKE ones doesnt work). Now you can add your water/solution to the foam and have more of it to help your humidor along.

FYI - it can take a bit to get it steady. Check out www.jrcigars.com - I used to go to their forum and they were - for the most part - very helpful. Prices are good there too!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:43:41 PM EDT
thanks for the help
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:49:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mister44:
First off, find the humidifier. It should be a plastic box with a grill on it, and green foam inside. Just add your water or solution to the sponge.

Another trick is to mix 50% propylene glycol (PG) with 50% distilled water. You can sometimes find PG at a pharmacy, or have them order it for you. Generally when you buy Humidifier solution at a cigar store, that is what you are paying for. Only you are paying a 500% mark up.

Of course distilled water works ok - it the PG that helps prevent a box that is TOO humid. (which promotes mold)

Some times with new humidors, they take awhile to get to a constant huminity (I am embarassed to day that I have neglected mine, and it is a bit dry right now.) One tip it to take a damp rag and wipe the inside of the wood. Now use just a LITTLE bit. You dont want to make the wood wet, in anyway. Doing so could make things start to warp.

If your humidifying device doesnt seem to be cutting it - make your own. Take a plastic travel soap box. Drill a bunch of holes in the top of the lid. Add green floral foam inside (get the kind for REAL flowers - the kind for FAKE ones doesnt work). Now you can add your water/solution to the foam and have more of it to help your humidor along.

FYI - it can take a bit to get it steady. Check out www.jrcigars.com - I used to go to their forum and they were - for the most part - very helpful. Prices are good there too!

+1.

-Get PG solution. A new humidor should take a 3 to 4 days to get seasoned, DONT rush it or you will end up with a warped humidor. In the meantime just stick your gars in a ziplock bag with your PG'ed humidifier puck.

-Dont put your gars in until you humi is holding 70-70. Otherwise the humi will suck them dry.
Top Top