Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 6:05:10 PM EDT
I just got a new (and first) humidor.  It says to put a small cup of distilled water in it and refill it till it becomes saturated. Then place the charged humidifier inside and close.

thats the part:  How do I charge the humidifier?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Anybody...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
You put distilled water in the little humidification device.  Usually a sponge like deal surounded in plastic.  Does your humidor even have one?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a sponge and lightly coat the inside of the box with distilled water....doing it the way you describe will take weeks to get to 70%...repeat this untill you reach 70% but don't put the gars in while you are conditioning it.  Also, the more cigars the easier it to keep at 70%.

Also, spend the money on an electric humiguage.

Well worth it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yossarian, I'm having trouble having mine maintain 70%.  I've saturated the inside and done the proper seosoning.  You think I need another humidification device?  I am in the very dry air of Maine.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, find the humidifier. It should be a plastic box with a grill on it, and green foam inside. Just add your water or solution to the sponge.

Another trick is to mix 50%  propylene glycol (PG) with 50% distilled water. You can sometimes find PG at a pharmacy, or have them order it for you. Generally when you buy Humidifier solution at a cigar store, that is what you are paying for. Only you are paying a 500% mark up.

Of course distilled water works ok - it the PG that helps prevent a box that is TOO humid. (which promotes mold)

Some times with new humidors, they take awhile to get to a constant huminity (I am embarassed to day that I have neglected mine, and it is a bit dry right now.) One tip it to take a damp rag and wipe the inside of the wood. Now  use just a LITTLE bit. You dont want to make the wood wet, in anyway. Doing so could make things start to warp.

If your humidifying device doesnt seem to be cutting it - make your own. Take a plastic travel soap box. Drill a bunch of holes in the top of the lid. Add green floral foam inside (get the kind for REAL flowers - the kind for FAKE ones doesnt work). Now you can add your water/solution to the foam and have more of it to help your humidor along.

FYI - it can take a bit to get it steady. Check out www.jrcigars.com - I used to go to their forum and they were - for the most part - very helpful. Prices are good there too!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the help
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
First off, find the humidifier. It should be a plastic box with a grill on it, and green foam inside. Just add your water or solution to the sponge.

Another trick is to mix 50%  propylene glycol (PG) with 50% distilled water. You can sometimes find PG at a pharmacy, or have them order it for you. Generally when you buy Humidifier solution at a cigar store, that is what you are paying for. Only you are paying a 500% mark up.

Of course distilled water works ok - it the PG that helps prevent a box that is TOO humid. (which promotes mold)

Some times with new humidors, they take awhile to get to a constant huminity (I am embarassed to day that I have neglected mine, and it is a bit dry right now.) One tip it to take a damp rag and wipe the inside of the wood. Now  use just a LITTLE bit. You dont want to make the wood wet, in anyway. Doing so could make things start to warp.

If your humidifying device doesnt seem to be cutting it - make your own. Take a plastic travel soap box. Drill a bunch of holes in the top of the lid. Add green floral foam inside (get the kind for REAL flowers - the kind for FAKE ones doesnt work). Now you can add your water/solution to the foam and have more of it to help your humidor along.

FYI - it can take a bit to get it steady. Check out www.jrcigars.com - I used to go to their forum and they were - for the most part - very helpful. Prices are good there too!

+1.

-Get PG solution.  A new humidor should take a 3 to 4 days to get seasoned, DONT rush it or you will end up with a warped humidor.  In the meantime just stick your gars in a ziplock bag with your PG'ed humidifier puck.

-Dont put your gars in until you humi is holding 70-70. Otherwise the humi will suck them dry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top