Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/19/2006 8:54:13 AM EDT
My tv is probably 6 years old now and is going out. I browsed the best buy web site and am now completly lost. Please help! I am looking for something about 36" possibly high definition. What can you guys recomend? Also, why is everything in widescreen format?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:16:32 PM EDT
Tagged for info.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:18:12 PM EDT
widescreen is part of the HD specifation
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:34:52 PM EDT
When shopping for a TV in todays time you have to ask yourself if you want to venture into HDTV or throw your money into a TV that won't work in a few years (currently I believe that 2009 is the cut off switch to 100% HDTV, but the FCC has pushed that back a few times already)

Check out: www.antennaweb.org
You can put in your address and see all the FREE HDTV stations you can pick up with a standard antenna. Where I am, I can pick up ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, WB and UPN for free. That covers most of my needs and HDTV just plain rocks. All the sports on those channels really do look incredible. I've been watching the winter Olympics for the first time in years. All the primetime shows are HD now (24, CSI, etc.)

If you decide you don't need or want HDTV, any good deal will do. All the major brands are OK, pick the one that looks best to you. The key is to visit the stores and look at each on and see as many as possible.

If you decide to go for HDTV, do the same as above and decide on what you like. LCD, Plasma, rear projection LCD, DLP, etc. All have pros and cons. I like the rear LCD projection TVs from Sony and the Toshiba DLP's. Great bang for the buck and some of the largest screens you can buy. If you are in the market for only 36" or so, tubes will look OK, but LCD will look better, but cost a TON more. With a standard CRT HDTV, you won't gain a lot of resolution, but the picture will still look great. Don't fall for features you don't need. I don't need or want a memory card on my TV to look at pictures for example, but I do want a CableCard slot to be able to get Cox Cable HDTV programs eventually. Make sure the TV has enough inputs for the gear that you have (Xbox, PS2, Cable box, Tivo, DVD, etc.) Since HDTV supports high res stuff, you don't want to use the lower res RCA or SVideo cables unless you have to. I switched all my gear to Component cables to get better res out of everything, but my TV had to support a handful of component connections. If you get HDTV, make sure the TV has a built in HDTV tuner so you can add an antenna and tune in the HDTV signals. I bought a small internal powered Terk antenna for around $50 and can pick up all the channels in my area.

The key really is to get what YOU like. I may tell you that the Sony LCD's are the best, you may think that they have too much screendoor effect (with HDTV digitally pixilizes the image, looks blocky with the image is dark and moves quickly)

I picked the 60" sony LCD rear projection Grand Wega on sale and everyone in the house loves it. HDTV is amazing, but I really want and HD-Tivo now. I had the room to put it in, though I'll be paying for the TV for a while :) If you don't want HDTV, my last tube TV was a panasonic that I picked up from WorstBuy. It's worked great for the last 5 years or so. The Sony Wega flat tube CRTs are great for standard tube.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:17:14 PM EDT
Thanks for the info...any brads to watch out for? I want to stay away from junk.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:56:22 PM EDT
I personally stick to the big brands. If you haven't heard of them, I'd stay away or at least research with google a ton to see some reviews. I've looked at a lot of TVs the last few months and I like: Sony (I bought one), Toshiba (DLP, great price and a ton of features) RCA (DLP, In-Laws bought one, great picture) Samsung (DLP, In-Laws & friend own one great picture) for Tube TV's (none-HD) I like the Sony Wega line and panasonic.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:14:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:21:20 PM EDT
Top Top