Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:10:06 AM EDT
So I want to fly for the army. I'm considering becoming a warrant officer. I want my fellow arfcommers to tell me more about WOTS and all the tests. What am i getting myself into?? How "do-able" is it? What do i need to know BEFORE signing?? What experiences did you have or what mistakes did you make?? I'm open to any suggestions/Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:54:53 AM EDT
I believe it's WOFT, and you might want to check here:

forums.military.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/3241924461

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:11:01 AM EDT
Paging Da_Bunny....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:39:02 AM EDT
It's very doable. Saw a bunch of CW1 and CW2's the other day at the PX.

Just gotta do well on the flight test and get through WO school.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:42:50 PM EDT
First of all, you don't need to know dick about flying. The Army has flight school for that.

The hardest part is passing the flight physical, because you have no control over that. Physically, you can't have much of anything wrong with you. It's not just sight and hearing, but everything else too. It's not the same one they give you at MEPS. They check everything. Probably more people that want to fly can't because they can't pass the physical.

You need to take a FAST (can be FASB now) test. Flight Aptitude Selection Test/Battery. That's pass or fail. It asks you a bunch of questions, and you answer them. You DO NOT need any flight experience for this test. It tests your APTITUDE to learn how to fly, basically if you're trainable. Some say it's hard and you should study. I thought it was cake and I took it cold with no clue what was on it and missed only one or two questions. Don't overthink the test. If you feel like you need it, there are study guides available in bookstores for this test. It's not like you need to know anything though.

The Warrant Officers will have to fill you in on WOECS. I was a commissioned aviator (i.e. LT/CPT). It's mainly weeks of hell from what I understand, and it sounds like it sucks. Oh well, like all things Army, millions of people have actually passed it, so I'd say (like most things Army) it's your head that matters. You either want it and pass, or don't and fail.

Flight school has changed some since I went through, but definately for the better. Your flight class has both warrant and commissioned officers in it. You're still going through the entry course, so you have to balance time and everything else with your studying. You go through flight school. Like I said, the Army will teach you all you need to know about it. Sometime after instruments or basic tactics (I don't know when they do it now), you quit flying the TH-67 and go to your airframe. UH-60, AH-64, OH-58D, CH-47 and learn it the rest of the time.

When you're done with flight school, you get your wings and your WO1 bar. Done, on to unit to fight.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The main thing is to make sure you have ALL the right paperwork done to begin with BEFORE you sign anything. Also get in shape. Army Aviation is a combat arms and they like you to know that at Rucker. Everything you do in the Army is easier if you're in shape. Your time now is better spent working out, than reading "how to fly a helicopter". All I can say from looking at the WO Canidates from the outside was it sucked, but it must have really sucked for someone out of shape. If you're physically fit, then it's just the head games, and that's easy. Being out of shape multiplies the effect of the head games.

More detailed stuff will have to come from the Warrant side.
Top Top