Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2001 8:10:11 AM EDT
I am just 3 weeks away from beginning a 3 month school (polygraph) in Atlanta and was wondering if anyone knew about GA laws regulating concealed carry for out of state LEOs (or anyone else for that matter) while in GA. I am from AL and believe we just joined the reciprocity states but I'm not sure. I personally never mess with any permit holders or fellow LEOs from out of state that I contact on the job but wanted to know the actual position in GA. I certainly am not gonna run around Atlanta without being strapped.

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#1]
check www.packing.org for reciprocity.
I'm pretty sure there is not a seperate exception for LEO.  
You can legally have a loaded pistol in your glove compartment or center console, or totally exposed (NOT partially, ie handle sticking out of map pocket) in your vehicle without any permit as long as you are not "otherwise prohibited" ie a convicted felon, etc..

check out
http://www.state.ga.us/services/ocode/ocgsearch.htm

the 16-11-101, 102, 103, etc. tell you what you can't do, then jumps to about 16-11-120 for class III stuff, then to about 16-11-126 for CCW.  Make sure to read 16-11-127 and 127.1  

Link Posted: 8/12/2001 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I am PD in the Atlanta area.  I wouldnt worry about it.  As long as you have your Badge and ID
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Five O:
I am just 3 weeks away from beginning a 3 month school (polygraph) in Atlanta and was wondering if anyone knew about GA laws regulating concealed carry for out of state LEOs (or anyone else for that matter) while in GA. I am from AL and believe we just joined the reciprocity states but I'm not sure. I personally never mess with any permit holders or fellow LEOs from out of state that I contact on the job but wanted to know the actual position in GA. I certainly am not gonna run around Atlanta without being strapped.

Thanks all!
View Quote

Sounds like your on official business, I wouldn't worry about it, hell you can even carry in D.C. if your on official business. If you want I'd just get a letter from the boss that your there for training.
Good luck, Jeff
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't trust the reciprocity stuff posted on the internet-it is often not accurate. For example, it lists Texas as a state that allows off-duty officers from other states as being allowed to carry, and that is not really true (though you most likely wouldn't have any trouble).

Most states with shall-issue concealed weapons laws have reciprocity with other states though. If I were ever considering any extensive travel outside of Texas (and who would want to do that anyway?), I would pay my $140 and get a Concealed Handgun License and forget about trying to navigate other states laws about peace officers and weapons.

I wouldn't want to go to Atlanta unarmed, either, so I hope you find a workable solution to your dilemma.

Good luck at school.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Five O:

Thanks all!
View Quote

Sounds like your on official business, I wouldn't worry about it, hell you can even carry in D.C. if your on official business. If you want I'd just get a letter from the boss that your there for training.
Good luck, Jeff
View Quote

Keep in mind that is not entirelely accurate.  For a lot of states, "Officila Business"  means "while actually performing Law enforcement duty."  I would get in touch with the PD, or state's attorney in Atlanta, and ask their opinion.  By the way, I don't know if it is this way or not anymore, but used to be in DC, even DC cops couldn't carry off duty.  There was a case where a DC Metro Police captain had to testify before Congress.  It was immediately after his shift ended, so he went in full uniform, including sidearm.  A Deputy DA who was also testifying, felt intimidated" by his sidearm, and had a warrant issued for unlawful carrying of a firearm.  I(t seemed that (at least at that time)  the law did not allow it.  Evntually, I believe they were dropped.  Moral of the story-"official business doesn't always cover everything.  Check it out with the authorities where you are going, rather than relying on internet advice.  good Luck.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I am not a lawyer.  I do not play one on TV.  Do not listen to anything I have to say.

It would appear that an out of state LEO is exempt from the majority of Georgia's concealed carry laws.  For the following citation keep in mind that OCGA 16-11-126 regards concealed carry, 16-11-127 regards public gatherings, and 16-11-128 regards open carry.  OCGA 16-11-130(a) states "Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-128 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below... (1) Peace officers, as such term is defined in paragraph (11) of Code Section 16-1-3".  OCGA 16-1-3 paragraph (11) states "'Peace officer' means any person who by virtue of his office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to maintain public order or to make arrests for offenses, whether that duty extends to all times or is limited to specific offenses."  This makes no mention of the "Peace Officer's" state of residence or certification.  Thus it would appear that a "Peace Officer" is not subject to OCGA 16-11-126 through 16-11-128.  OCGA 16-12-123 which makes it a felony to board public transportation with a concealed weapon also does not apply to persons exempted in 16-11-130.  

Now, for my personal opinion.  I think it absolutely stinks that you, as an out of state LEO, can carry any damn place you want to in the state of Georgia, where I, as a life long law abiding resident of the state, cannot.  It is absolutely silly to think that a LEO is any better trained than the majority of Georgia's CCW holders or makes any better decisions.  Most of the LEO's in the state of Georgia that I know bearly graduated high school and couldn't get a job at McDonalds.

Link Posted: 8/12/2001 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
WOW Matthew, alittle pissed are we???  I am a cop in GA., college educated and served in the military for some time.  Please keep your bad feelings to yourself.  Some people on this site take every chance they get to bash police.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Nah, not really.  Sorry to ruffle your feathers.  It does bother me though.  In all honesty, most of the cops I know personally are guys I seriously would not let baby sit my kids, let alone let them make life or death decisions.  Don't get me wrong, some are very intelligent, etc.  But like I said, the majority of the ones I know are not too bright.  I went home to south Georgia a couple of months ago and saw a guy I went to high school with had become an officer with the local PD.  I honestly thought this guy was one of the kids who rode the short bus in high school if ya know what I mean.  It truly scared me that I was at a gathering of people and this guy had a gun.  Again, I didn't mean to come across so jaded, however I don't appreciate you telling me to keep my feelings to myself.  Ya know, this is a discussion forum.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#9]
your right, this is these forums are for.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to all who had something constructive, I do appreciate it! I found some interesting stuff on the GA AG's site... His "Unofficial Opinion" [url]http://www.state.ga.us/ago/read.cgi?searchval=firearms%20state%20peace%20officers&openval=U97-13[/url] and 16-11-130 which has been updated apparently; [url]http://www.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/pub/ocode/ocgsearch?docname=OCode/G/16/11/130[/url]. It seems that GA has addressed LEO carry as a reciprocity issue (if GA LEO's can carry in a state, that state's LEOs can carry in GA). I have been unable to find anywhere specifically stating that AL does that but...

My LT is gonna write a letter stating I'm there on official business so I think I'll be good to go.

Finally gonna invest in a good inside the waistband holster for my Airweight I do believe...

Hopefully my trip will be uneventful. The last time I was in Atlanta was for Street Survival in '98. A fellow Deputy and I had to intervene in a fight involving a MARTA cop and a Mexican guy. The MARTA officer was in the process of getting his clock cleaned... Of course the obvious question was why in the hell were we on MARTA...

Matthew, I have to say that regarding your comment, "It is absolutely silly to think that a LEO is any better trained than the majority of Georgia's CCW holders or makes any better decisions. Most of the LEO's in the state of Georgia that I know bearly graduated high school and couldn't get a job at McDonalds." I would have to say that yes, MOST LEOs ARE trained better than MOST CCW holders which should be "absolutely" obvious and as far as decision making goes I'd say that at the very least we are used to operating under stress and danger, certainly more so that the average Joe. As far as the last bit of poo, I personally have a Master's Degree and about 60% of my department has a Bachelor's or better. Dunno about GA... But thanks for that which was constructive.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Huey, I was thinking that while I'm there I may try to get in a ride along or two to keep the skills up and see how Policing an area like Hotlanta would be, plus to alleviate the boredom between classes and studying. Whats the word on that? Anyone I could contact?

Thanks. Be safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top