Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 10:42:35 PM EDT
I dont know what is up with her...her eyes are half closed but she is FIGHTING sleep right now... I guess I was the same way ... But MAN she just doesnt want to go to sleep!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
they can fight sleep, but they can't fight rum.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Get her a dose of thorazine, I guar-an-TEE that will keep her at least close enough to sleep as makes no difference. I'd say start her on 10mg, because she's probably pretty small.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.marvistavet.com/assets/images/Benadryl.gif

will kill children!! if given at the wrong dose, that is 25mg which is WAAAAY too much for a child ~
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quick car ride around the block should do it

Isn't she old enough to drive herself around the block?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like she needs some whiskey.

Seriously, I was the same way as a kid.  It might just be that she's getting too much sleep.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.marvistavet.com/assets/images/Benadryl.gif

will kill children!! if given at the wrong dose, that is 25mg which is WAAAAY too much for a child ~

I thought he was talking about DFD!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:48:14 PM EDT
[#9]
since its your daughter and not a son, i dont suggest the "draw down" method. but ive had an MGD, 2 Captain Cokes, and a Corona, if itll do the trick for a guy my size itll certainly work for your daughter. a few more and ill be sleeping.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, Frige, since you're up, I have a question for you. I have a former hotel mini bar with a built in fridge. This particular mini bar came out of the Waldorf  Astoria in NYC (1970's era). The cabinet is a very nice cherry colored hardwood. One side is storage and the other half is a mini fridge. It's built in to the cabinet. The cabinet door is the door to the fride. The fridge doesn't work. I'm debating either getting the fridge repaired, perhaps buying a cheap mini fridge and scavanging the compressor from it, or dismantleing the old fridge from the cabinet and putting a new mini fridge back in it's place, assuming that it will fit in the space left after I gut the cabinet. Other than not operating, the fridge is in excellent shape.
I really want to keep the bar, it's a very nice piece of furniture and will compliment my den nicely.

What's your advice?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:55:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I will try the warm milk approach... used to work on me when I was a kid.

But look at me now... Lactose intolerant...

...Did I just share too much?

As far as the Capt Morgan approach? That is for ME after the kids are asleep.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Routine.

Same wake-up time daily, same bed time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a little something to think about when you go to bed.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well, Frige, since you're up, I have a question for you. I have a former hotel mini bar with a built in fridge. This particular mini bar came out of the Waldorf  Astoria in NYC (1970's era). The cabinet is a very nice cherry colored hardwood. One side is storage and the other half is a mini fridge. It's built in to the cabinet. The cabinet door is the door to the fride. The fridge doesn't work. I'm debating either getting the fridge repaired, perhaps buying a cheap mini fridge and scavanging the compressor from it, or dismantleing the old fridge from the cabinet and putting a new mini fridge back in it's place, assuming that it will fit in the space left after I gut the cabinet. Other than not operating, the fridge is in excellent shape.
I really want to keep the bar, it's a very nice piece of furniture and will compliment my den nicely.

What's your advice?

Cant get the new frige compressor because the BTU ratings are gonna be mismatched AND more importantly, the refrigerants are gonna be different... if it was 1970's era, then it is most likely R12 and the new stuff is R134a.

Best bet... get a reputable servicer that works on high end companies to look at it. sounds as if you have a custom job and you need someone with high end experience.

I would suggest that you go to subzero.com and use their locator to find a servicer in your area... Ask them what do they think.

Problem is that without seeing it I cant tell you what to do... What is it doing or NOT doing?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/2A373/108472.jpg

Now THAT is cool.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Routine.

Same wake-up time daily, same bed time.

Yeah this is DFD2 we are talking about DFD1 and DFS have their sleep routine down you can set a watch to them... DFD2 is all over the board... always has been always will be. There were days she would go to bed at 10 and wake up at 7 and days she would go to bed at 8 and wake up at 9:30.

there is NO rhythm to it.... NONE.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:09:28 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v391/2A373/108472.jpg

Now THAT is cool.

NO ITS NOT!!!! DONT ENCOURAGE HIS BEHAVIOR!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Car seat drive for 1/2 hour.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I have one like that...and enforcing absolute daily ritual made life easier.

WAKE her at the same time every day. NO NAPS. She will get used to a regular bedtime.

Trust me on this.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your advice?

Cant get the new frige compressor because the BTU ratings are gonna be mismatched AND more importantly, the refrigerants are gonna be different... if it was 1970's era, then it is most likely R12 and the new stuff is R134a.

Best bet... get a reputable servicer that works on high end companies to look at it. sounds as if you have a custom job and you need someone with high end experience.

I would suggest that you go to subzero.com and use their locator to find a servicer in your area... Ask them what do they think.

Problem is that without seeing it I cant tell you what to do... What is it doing or NOT doing?

Frankly, it isn't doing anything. It seems like it's not getting power to the compressor. I'll have to check it out and try a few things and get back to you some other time. I haven't examined it very closely. I am just considering worst case scenarios.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Works every time on kids.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:22:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Wait a sec.... It is too late for her to be fighting sleep. If you have been at it for more than an hour, Then she is crying because she is hurting. Litteraly start from zero.  Get her temp, get her color, change her PJs to a diff style. Look for bites, rashes, and if you have her hair in pony tails let it down.
Try a shower with you holding her in fairly warm watter only if there is no temp. Ginger ale, and a little childrens ibuprofin.....

I will bet she is suffering from a cold, If you do not know what hand and foot mouth is, look it up on the internet. Kids get it from the Mc Donalds playgrounds and such. It apears as kind of light ant bites on the hand knuckes and feet. with white pustules forming on the edge of the toung.

Also if her fever is there check the thickness of the mucus. If it is as thick as say bananna puddin, and she is less than two she may be suffering from RSV a NASTY bug that is linked to crib death, and has a specific test at the eroom.

Sory to shotgun the options,
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WAKE her at the same time every day. NO NAPS. She will get used to a regular bedtime.

Trust me on this.

No. Trust ME on this... she doesnt nap... at all... she is content with 4 hours of sleep. We have seen doctors about it and there is not much we can do. Docs say some kids are just geared like that. My brother is like that... he can sleep on 4 hours,,, I have headaches if I get one minute LESS than 8 hours.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trust me on this.

No. Trust ME on this... she doesnt nap... at all... she is content with 4 hours of sleep. We have seen doctors about it and there is not much we can do. Docs say some kids are just geared like that. My brother is like that... he can sleep on 4 hours,,, I have headaches if I get one minute LESS than 8 hours.

Give her a pair of toenail clippers and have her cut the lawn since she's got so much free time.  She can hunt spiders for you at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Wait a sec.... It is too late for her to be fighting sleep. If you have been at it for more than an hour, Then she is crying because she is hurting. Litteraly start from zero.  Get her temp, get her color, change her PJs to a diff style. Look for bites, rashes, and if you have her hair in pony tails let it down.
Try a shower with you holding her in fairly warm watter only if there is no temp. Ginger ale, and a little childrens ibuprofin.....

I will bet she is suffering from a cold, If you do not know what hand and foot mouth is, look it up on the internet. Kids get it from the Mc Donalds playgrounds and such. It apears as kind of light ant bites on the hand knuckes and feet. with white pustules forming on the edge of the toung.

Also if her fever is there check the thickness of the mucus. If it is as thick as say bananna puddin, and she is less than two she may be suffering from RSV a NASTY bug that is linked to crib death, and has a specific test at the eroom.

Sory to shotgun the options,

Oh no... thanks for the suggestions... But you have to understand that she has been fighting sleep since birth and she is 6 years old now. this is commonplace here. This happens AT LEAST 2 times a week if not more. We have seen Drs about it as well.. all tests are normal.

she has that mindset that if she falls asleep, she will miss out on something cool. But, in the mornings, she is running down the stairs and her eyes arent even open 100% yet. She wants to play all the time.

Thanks for your suggestions though... at first we thought it was something like you suggested. But everything checks out.

ETA: THE WARM MILK WORKED!!! She is snoring!!! YEAH!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I will try the warm milk approach... used to work on me when I was a kid.

But look at me now... Lactose intolerant...

...Did I just share too much?

As far as the Capt Morgan approach? That is for ME after the kids are asleep.

Yes you did...

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:45:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trust me on this.

No. Trust ME on this... she doesnt nap... at all... she is content with 4 hours of sleep. We have seen doctors about it and there is not much we can do. Docs say some kids are just geared like that.

I was like that.  My parents tried everything - warm milk, rocking chair, nothing worked.  I wasn't fussy, I just didin't need much sleep.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#31]

she has that mindset that if she falls asleep, she will miss out on something cool.

Out of all the things we lose when we lose our childhood, the excitement at experiencing even simple things is probably the worst loss.  I love kids.  There's nothing better than watching them.z
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

she has that mindset that if she falls asleep, she will miss out on something cool.

Out of all the things we lose when we lose our childhood, the excitement at experiencing even simple things is probably the worst loss.  I love kids.  There's nothing better than watching them.z

Fuckin' A Bubba!! Truer words have never been spoken... I was the same way my mom said... Now I cant wait to get to sleep... Then try to wake me up...Im an asshole!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#33]
My brother was like that as a kid.  My parents could hardly keep him in bed for 6 hrs at night.  Didn't take naps either.   My parents didn't drug him, but seriously thought about it.

I remember my mother more than once saying, "If that little *%^$*#* doesn't go to sleep soon, someones going to die."

Now as an adult, he rarely sleeps more than 3 hrs a night.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#34]
This is something that has many possible solutions for the AVERAGE person.  No two people's sleep patterns are the same.

Take me for example.  I can have 3-4 hours of sleep and wake up the next day fresh as a daisy while there might be someone out there that needs a mandatory 10 hours.  This lead to a lot of confritation between me and my parents.  They just could never understand that I don't need as much sleep to operate.  

Too much sleep can make you too tired and sluggish which most people would interpret as 'not enough sleep' when really they've already had too much.

If she doesn't want to go to sleep, then let her stay up.  Let her fall asleep on her own.  Just make sure to wake her up at the same time every day.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:35:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
This is something that has many possible solutions for the AVERAGE person.  No two people's sleep patterns are the same.

Take me for example.  I can have 3-4 hours of sleep and wake up the next day fresh as a daisy while there might be someone out there that needs a mandatory 10 hours.  This lead to a lot of confritation between me and my parents.  They just could never understand that I don't need as much sleep to operate.  

Too much sleep can make you too tired and sluggish which most people would interpret as 'not enough sleep' when really they've already had too much.

If she doesn't want to go to sleep, then let her stay up.  Let her fall asleep on her own.  Just make sure to wake her up at the same time every day.  

Doctors said basically the same thing...

Wanna hear what happened to the last person that told me he had the same sleep pattern as you do?

He just graduated the Navy Seals... the need for little sleep was one of his biggest assets when training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top