Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2001 7:58:02 AM EDT
I and new to the AR-15 game with regards to building and re-building.
I know what a1 and a2 sights look like on an upper, but what are the A1 or A2 FENCES on a pre or post ban lower? Doe the compatability of the upper and lower relate to the fence configuration??
Need some help here. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
... but what are the A1 or A2 FENCES on a pre or post ban lower? Doe the compatability of the upper and lower relate to the fence configuration??
View Quote

I am not expert at AR15s by no means, but I will take a stab at it.  A fence usually means there is a little area built up around the magazine release button to HELP prevent accidental release of the magazine.  I think A1 versions don't have it.  It doesn't have anything to do with pre/post ban lower and upper/lower receivers compatibility.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 9:23:54 AM EDT
[#2]
When I was in the army a had and saw plenty A1 with this fence. I believe the early one did not have them.  My last A2 I had in the Security Police was a conversion.  this did not have a fence.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
... but what are the A1 or A2 FENCES on a pre or post ban lower? Doe the compatability of the upper and lower relate to the fence configuration??
View Quote

I am not expert at AR15s by no means, but I will take a stab at it.  A fence usually means there is a little area built up around the magazine release button to HELP prevent accidental release of the magazine.  I think A1 versions don't have it.  It doesn't have anything to do with pre/post ban lower and upper/lower receivers compatibility.
View Quote

The A1's also have the fence.  A lot of the early M-16's  (A-nothing, no forward assist)  did not havve them.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a little more info.

M16: no fence, but it does have a "rib" right under the ejection port.
M16A1: fence
M16A2: fence

AR15 SP1: no fence or "rib"
AR15 A2: no fence, but has A2 upper
AR15 Sporter: fence

I think I got that right.

BMB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top