Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/18/2006 8:37:11 PM EDT
Long story as short as I can make it.

When my sister was 15-18 she got into older boys, drugs and alcohol. Not just pot, but coke and so forth. Her problems deeply affected my family and she got booted from school and quit all her other activites she was good at (dance, volleyball). My parents really tried to help with rehab and counseling, but to no good. She would come home and yell at us, steal stuff and then be gone for another week at at time.

My grandpa died in 84, and around 98 or so when my sister was deeply involved with drugs she stole and pawned/sold a pistol he passed onto me. It was a Ruger MKII. Just a simple blued, 4 inch barrel'd .22. As with all guns passed on from parents/grandparents, it was priceless to me. To this day I have the magazine still (she didn't steal it) and it's still part of my collection of odds and ends gun related.

Fast forward, she's 25 now, has 2 kids, works at a montesorri school. Doesn't make a lot of money, but gets one hell of a tax return. I'm talking she makes 20 grand and gets 5 grand back. She's clean now and her and her boyfriend take care of the kids pretty well. He doesn't make much either (truck driver). At some point in my life I would like her to buy me back that said pistol in the same model/caliber. Since I believe they don't make the mkII's anymore I thought that I would hint at her to spot me the required amount to get a used one off gunbroker or a local shop if I could find one. I'm not short on cash, but it's the principle that counts.

Is this too much to ask?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:39:31 PM EDT
Not gonna happen.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:39:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:41:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 8:47:29 PM EDT by GrahamD]
20 grand a year and two kids??? I dunno if I would re open an old wound with this sort of thing. The pistol was a sentimental piece, I understand that, but whatever you get from a pawn shop wont be. Im sure stealing your pistol is a part of her life she's put behind her now. If it were me in your shoes, I would just write the gun off to the price of getting your sister back into a normal state of mind. It might bring up bad blood between you two, or remind her of a section of her life she would rather forget.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:43:42 PM EDT
that was a fucked up thing for her to do, both legally and morally, but keep in mind, she did it in a different era of her life. from what you say it looks like she's trying to put it behind her. it sucks to lose an heirloom like that, but i think it's better for everyone to let your sister work on getting her life back together
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:46:41 PM EDT
She's got 2 kids and doesn't make much money. Let it go. The money would be better spent on the kids anyway.z
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:48:15 PM EDT

Personally I think it's petty. (Just my opinion).

If there were some way of her getting THAT pistol back (that belonged to your dad), and it could be purchased somewhere, sure, you might want to see if she'd like to help with that. If she truly has turned her life around, she probably would want to help with something that was important to your like that. (Part of the 12-steps or whatever is trying to make it up to the people you wronged, and asking for their forgiveness or something like that).

However, the ask for a completely different gun that is just the same model - that seems weird. Why not just give her an itemized bill for all the money she scammed off your entire family when she was on drugs?

Like I said - I wouldn't do it. If she REALLY has turned her life aorund, she needs all of the money that she and her BF make to raise their kids right, and I don't see why you would interfere with that, even in a small way. I'd let bygones be bygones, and be happy for her that she's not living in a gutter, or lying in a grave somewhere.

Just my opinion - worth what you paid for it. Plus, I wouldn't piss on my brother if he was on fire, so I'm not the right person to dispense advice for sibling relationships anyway.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:52:06 PM EDT
Let it go.

You will find it more rewarding to find the pistol yourself and purchase it as a tribute to your grandfather, and not a reperation of what your sister did in the past.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:52:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 8:52:42 PM EDT by chips]
that pistol was priceless. i would've turned her over to the police for theft and cut off all ties.

my grandfather recently gave me an 1891 mauser that my grandmother bought him when he came home from the war. i don't have the slightest idea how much money it's worth(nor do i care), but to me, it's worth everything in the world. i couldn't imagine how i'd feel if something with so much sentimental value was stolen from me and pawned off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:01:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 10:51:54 PM EDT by jrzy]
michaelj1978 you have your sister alive and well and far away from the death trap of drugs.
Be thankful for what has been given back to you already.

Sorry you lost the important gun but a copy of the exact one is not going to help you get over the theft.
Talking to your sister and telling her that you forgive her would do a lot more for your soul, right?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:05:40 PM EDT
Let it go.

Be glad she got her life on track.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 9:08:12 PM EDT by Mattl]
Jerzy is right that getting a copy will not make you any happier. As far as your relationship with your sister time nearly always heals. That was a shitty thing for her to do though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:09:45 PM EDT
Move on, someday she will need something and you can tell her to take a walk
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:09:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By michaelj1978:

<snip>

Is this too much to ask?

Yes. It would only be a used gun, not a family heirloom.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:13:06 PM EDT
Get on with your lifr, rise above it, don't bother, time to move on, etc..
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:16:00 PM EDT
It would be one thing if she were to do it on her own as atonement for stealing it in the first place. But for you to go to her yourself, or hint that she should do it is petty on your part. Be glad you've got your sister back from drugs. The gun can't bring back your Grandfather, but it could lose you your sister again.

But that's no reason you shouldn't have a gun just like it. Go buy it and don't say anything to anyone, and enjoy the gun while remembering your Grandfather.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:17:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 9:33:02 PM EDT by DK-Prof]

Fast forward, she's 25 now, has 2 kids, works at a montesorri school. Doesn't make a lot of money, but gets one hell of a tax return. I'm talking she makes 20 grand and gets 5 grand back. She's clean now and her and her boyfriend take care of the kids pretty well. He doesn't make much either (truck driver). At some point in my life I would like her to buy me back that said pistol in the same model/caliber. Since I believe they don't make the mkII's anymore I thought that I would hint at her to spot me the required amount to get a used one off gunbroker or a local shop if I could find one. I'm not short on cash, but it's the principle that counts.

Just to be a complete asshole, and turn this thread in the opposite direction ...

If you've got spare money, maybe you could throw some of it into a college fund, or an emergency account for your two nieces.

While your sis might have her life on track, some addicts WILL fall off the wagon, particularly when stressful events happen. (I met a lawyer that my mother-in-law works with, who used to be a heavy cocaine addict. Cocaine completely destroyed his life - he lost his marriage, lost his kids, lost everything in his life. He's been clean for 20 years, and goes to AA meetings three times a day. He's told her that if you left him alone, locked in a room with a bag of cocaine overnight, he WOULDN'T be able to resist using it ). It's still possible that her life might disintegrate, and your two nieces might be up shit creek if that happens.

Being able to be the responsible uncle that steps in and helps those girls is probably something your dad woudl have appreciated a lot more than you having a gun that looks like a gun he used to have.

Feel free to ignore me (or call me names) if I'm out of line.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:17:13 PM EDT
she has worked hard to turn her life around, she doesnt want to be reminded of the pain she caused
let it go and be happy for her and her new life. trust me when i say she will make it up to you when you least expect it
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:24:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Just to be a complete asshole, and turn this thread in the opposite direction ...

If you've got spare money, maybe you could throw some of it into a college fund, or an emergency account for your two nieces.

While your sis might have her life on track, some addicts WILL fall off the wagon, particularly when stressful events happen. (I met a lawyer that my mother-in-law works with, who used to be a heavy cocaine addict. Cocaine completely destroyed his life - he lost his marriage, lost his kids, lost everything in his life. He's been clean for 20 years, and goes to AA meetings three times a day. He's told her that if you left him alone, locked in a room with a bag of cocaine overnight, he would be able to resist using it ). It's still possible that her life might disintegrate, and your two nieces might be up shit creek if that happens.

Being able to be the responsible uncle that steps in and helps those girls is probably something your dad woudl have appreciated a lot more than you having a gun that looks like a gun he used to have.

Feel free to ignore me (or call me names) if I'm out of line.

You Danes are very thoughtful.

But why can't you stop pissing off Muslims with your cartoons!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:25:57 PM EDT
Did she go to jail and do time for the theft?

I am guessing "No" because most families don't report their drugged out members to police.
If she was convicted and paid her debt I say "No". If she slid by she does owe you a similar pistol.

Part of the process of getting and staying clean is to make amends to those you have wronged.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:30:22 PM EDT
She is your sister and it looks like she is moving in the right direction in life. We all make stupid mistakes. Just forgive her , tell her that and move on as well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:37:07 PM EDT

i dont think its too much for her to ask back. im dissapointed she gets 5k back from the state to be honest though. i had 31K worth of write-offs last year and i still need to pay in $1,400

its true that any OTHER pistol, though similar, wont be the same as grandpas.

BUT. obviously, this is the idea you came up with, so it might be what you need for closure on the situation.

good luck... and if she doesnt have the heart to spare a few hundred bucks to make up for her wrongs... well, shed be out of my family.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:31:38 PM EDT
$20 says she SOLD it. Why else would she have stolen it?

I would ask. If by some miricle she still has it, then she should give it back. Its not like it costed her any money. You wouldnt be putting her out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:34:52 PM EDT
Buy her two kids their own Ruger MKII pistols, let them know that their great grandfather loved to shoot his....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:43:47 PM EDT
just think of your karma points
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:45:21 PM EDT
Just bring it up at xmas every year when you're done unwrapping presents. Sigh really loudly when you see yet another pair of dress socks from her and say "nope, no 4 in. ruger mkII again this year, sure wish I had one of those like I used to. Oh well maybe next year." Sigh.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:46:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 10:47:23 PM EDT by Stealth]

Originally Posted By Triumph955i:
Let it go.

+1 to this.

Don't let this stuff eat you up.

It's gone and it sounds like the person who took your pistol is gone as well (thank goodness).

Give her a hug and call it good.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:56:21 PM EDT

He's been clean for 20 years, and goes to AA meetings three times a day.

That's one busy dude!

My opinion, let it go. Nothing she does will replace that gun, unless she can track down the current owner through the records at the place she sold it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:00:33 PM EDT
I wouldn't push my luck. I'd much rather have a healthy and happy sister than a Ruger MKII.
Let it go. MKII are not expensive. You can buy a MKII almost anytime, you can't get another sis.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:06:54 PM EDT

In the big picture, the pistol doesn't matter. Water under the bridge.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:08:12 PM EDT
It's a $200 gun at best..

Just go out and buy yourself the damned thing...

Oh..and buy another nice gun for yourself while you are at..

Be thankfull your sister is no longer a coke head...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:22:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 11:55:04 PM EDT by Mister44]
ETA - never mind - miss read something
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:32:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 11:32:57 PM EDT by PeteCO]

Originally Posted By Mister44:
WTF is up with you all?

He doest give a shit about the GUN - he cares what it meant to him.

Asking his sis where the gun is isnt going to suddenly send her spiralling back into oblivion. Its great shes ok now, but she still has to live with what she did.

As I said - odds are that gun when up her knows or in her arm a long time ago. But at least you will have the satisfaction of knowing where it went to.

On the off chance she has it - you can get it back. Hell - appease these guys and offer to buy it back from her.

If youre REAL lucky she sold it to a pawn shop. Maybe the guy has it over priced and its still sitting there.

I do like the idea of getting ones for her sons - even if you keep them - and telling them about your grandpa.

Read much?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:43:42 PM EDT
WTF is up with us all? I say the major part of us say that it is damn hard to get over crack ,much less getting over a younger brother that has never been addicted to anything that needs to try and get back(that which cannot ever be gotten back)your grandfather gave it to you sad to say(you should have guarded it better)!

Our nation is plaqued with substinance abuse,and if your sister can kick the habit,Damn man that should be enough!!

It would be nice if somehow you could get your Grandpaws pistol back!!!

But you can't!

Just be a man and write it off!

Bob
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:46:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/18/2006 11:54:19 PM EDT by 1IV]
LET IT GO> Treat it as a leson in how not to secure a pistol.

You need to focus on getting over your greed, and jealousy for what your prodigal sister got away with.

Buy some guns for your kids.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:56:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PeteCO:
Read much?

No - I just blindly spew out crap like most people here.

Though I still dont think brining it up will send her spiralling back into oblivion. At least he could get acknowledgement or an apology which is probably what he is really looking for.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:23:40 AM EDT
You still have contact with her??
Your a different man then me. I'd have told her in no uncertain terms how I felt and to fuck off, for good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:45:09 AM EDT
You sound like you think a $20k income is the Big Buckz - your sister doesn't have a dime left over and is scraping to get by in life.

Everyone gets hurt by other members of the family - just forget about the pistol and press on with life, you'll be better off and happier.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:47:42 AM EDT
Let it go, but don't ever forget it - so when she comes to you at some point begging for money/loan/whatever, remind her of what she did and say that life comes with consequences, and this is one of them.

But then again, I'm sort of petty that way to people who fuck me over.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:57:49 AM EDT
let it go.

been there done that
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:37:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Greywolf2112:
Let it go, but don't ever forget it - so when she comes to you at some point begging for money/loan/whatever, remind her of what she did and say that life comes with consequences, and this is one of them.

+1 Great minds think alike. Stop thinking about the gun. It's gone. I wouldn't even get an MKII because it will remind you of what your sister did every time you go to shoot it.

I absolutely despise drug addicts. If you're smart, I would limit my contact with her as much as possible, and certainly avoid her home. The last thing you need is to lose your gun rights because of a 'domestic violence' charge when you get into an argument with her boyfriend over the gun, or you're there while her boyfriend is cooking up some meth in the basement. There is no sense in letting her fuck up your life. Good luck.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:46:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KA3B:
Buy her two kids their own Ruger MKII pistols, let them know that their great grandfather loved to shoot his....

I like this idea the best!!!

Or, maybe, if she still has it, you could trade her a 10 dollar rock for it!

Travis
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:58:09 AM EDT
Mark this date down, I have to agree with jrzy.......

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:12:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bobbyjack:

It would be nice if somehow you could get your Grandpaws pistol back!!!

But you can't!

Just be a man and write it off!

+1 - move on, some things remain lost forever. Memories will have to do.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:23:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Greywolf2112:

Exactly. The fact your my"family" means all of jack shit if you step on me and stab me in the back.
My "family" has nothing to do with blood, and everything to do with friendship and trust.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:31:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GoGop:

He's been clean for 20 years, and goes to AA meetings three times a day.

That's one busy dude!

Seriously, I was amazed at that as well - after so many years. But he says the desire to use it would just take over if he wasn't constantly fighting it, even give all the time he's been clean.

That must be a bitch to fit in his schedule.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:31:52 AM EDT
Let it go.Once you're a little older,you'll (hopefully) realize a few things.
Buy yourself a MK II,use your Grandpa's mag,and be the BEST role model you can be for your sister's kids.Teach them to shoot,and to be responsible,productive members of society.Teach them about honor,and family,and trust,and the bonds between generations.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:42:40 AM EDT
Geez, let it go!

You have a living sister that has gotten clean and sober. She has given you 2 nephews and has turned her life around. Why don't you spend your time and effort getting to reknow your sister. Take her and her family shooting. Spend time with them because it will fly by in the blink of an eye and then they're gone. A damn gun you can get anytime!

Just my humble opinion!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:49:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By chips:
that pistol was priceless. i would've turned her over to the police for theft and cut off all ties.

+1
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:49:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By txgp17:
I wouldn't push my luck. I'd much rather have a healthy and happy sister than a Ruger MKII.
Let it go. MKII are not expensive. You can buy a MKII almost anytime, you can't get another sis.

+1 Gun is just a tool,love your sister and her kids.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:49:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheGunny:
Geez, let it go!

You have a living sister that has gotten clean and sober. She has given you 2 nephews and has turned her life around. Why don't you spend your time and effort getting to reknow your sister. Take her and her family shooting. Spend time with them because it will fly by in the blink of an eye and then they're gone. A damn gun you can get anytime!

Just my humble opinion!

So its ok to be a theiving druggie....As long as their family and go clean?
Gotchya.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top