Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 8:11:38 PM EDT
You know, those obscure little free newspapers you see by the door of the Seven-Eleven.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have bought a few cars from them, and sold lots of stuff via them.  The ads are cheap.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I sell a lot of homemade lightning links in them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Bought my beater 1978 Scout II that way, listed for $1200.

345 v8, glass packs, dual exhaust
3spd Torqueflite 727
New-ish 33" tires on chrome wheels (needs rust polished off in spots)
4" Superlift spring lift
2" body lift
Winch bumper, no winch

Talked them down to $850.  People say I bought a set of tires and wheels and they threw in a truck.  I need to look into the rear brakes, instal at least a set of lap seat belts, and solve some electrical gremlins (drunken monkeys apparently wired it) before its 100% kosher to drive full-time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Screw that bullshit.  Craigslist is where it's at, if you're near a metro area of about 250,000 or bigger.

www.craigslist.com

Free classified ads you can read on the internet, and it works.  I was hocking obscure crap through it like gold panning sluices, homebrewing carboys and triple beam balances, and getting replies through my email in the same day.  It rocks, and it is FREE.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I get stuff out of them sometimes.

Outs its free to put the add in, you gotta pay for the paper
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#6]
i bought a packet of sea monkeys out of them once.... or was that an old issue of spider-man?  i forget
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't use the Thrifty Nickel.  I advertised a ONE day garage sale once.  Had people bugging me for weeks. Even after dark. How
Craigslist is good, though you run into some really strange people.  You'll get emails offering 200$ when you are asking 2200$, that sort of thing.  I think a lot of stolen stuff goes thru Craigslist.  I once was interested in a Remington  rifle and the guy could not tell me the caliber or action type.he
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]
It occured to me that Craigslist would make for a wonderful fence after managing to sell stuff that no awn shop would even consider, without ID and costlessly.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
The psycho that shot up the Tacoma Mall a while back reportedly got his SKS from an ad in the Little Nickel. Now they have a long disclaimer in the gun ad section.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Used it car shopping and selling back in the late 80's, but haven't picked up one since.  I'm sure the internet really bit into that business.  Probably the only people that use that anymore are the people that don't have computers/internet.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It occured to me that Craigslist would make for a wonderful fence after managing to sell stuff that no awn shop would even consider, without ID and costlessly.

Not to be a spelling nazi, but that's just funny.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to be a spelling nazi, but that's just funny.

Is it grammatically incorrect? Some people think adverbs are bad grammar, but I dont agree.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I know costless is a word.  But I don't think costlessly is.  Damnit, now I'll check the dictionary and it'll be in there!!!  What a fool I'll be.  

ETA
Whew!  No, it's not.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes. Once got a great 686 Smith for 350$ Great deal.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#15]
estate sales, guns, musical instrument, garage sales, firewood, ...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top